Wales v Austria - Who are we supporting?

Donathan

If we get past Ukraine, which is a big if cause they'll be whipped up to a frenzy and aren't mugs at the best of times, I would say it's a 50/50 game against Wales.  Personally I think our squad overall has better players, especially in midfield, but they have home advantage and a superstar.

Bale is now likely back in hibernation till the game, so no likely to be injured but unlikely to be at his sharpest either.  There's guys like Rodon who won't play another game this season as well, you just have to hope we keep all our key men fit and go into it confident.  I genuinely think our midfield are capable of giving them the runaround

3 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

If we get past Ukraine, which is a big if cause they'll be whipped up to a frenzy and aren't mugs at the best of times, I would say it's a 50/50 game against Wales.  Personally I think our squad overall has better players, especially in midfield, but they have home advantage and a superstar.

Bale is now likely back in hibernation till the game, so no likely to be injured but unlikely to be at his sharpest either.  There's guys like Rodon who won't play another game this season as well, you just have to hope we keep all our key men fit and go into it confident.  I genuinely think our midfield are capable of giving them the runaround

We also have a superstar. And a couple on the verge of becoming superstars.

Edited by Richey Edwards

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

We also have a superstar. And a couple on the verge of becoming superstars.

If the 'superstar' you're referring to is Andy Robertson, he's not in the same category as Bale is. Robertson isn't the superstar sort player that can win you games or score "worldie" goals out of nothing. 

Aye Bale is a level above anyone we have.  Unfortunately, he is all Wales really need.  He's won about a million leagues and cups, making huge contributions and scoring massive and spectacular goals in all of those campaigns.

If we weren't to play, we would be favourites easily IMO.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye Bale is a level above anyone we have.  Unfortunately, he is all Wales really need.  He's won about a million leagues and cups, making huge contributions and scoring massive and spectacular goals in all of those campaigns.

If we weren't to play, we would be favourites easily IMO.

It’s annoying that he’s pretty much frozen out by Real Madrid as we can’t count on him doing a hammy a few weeks before the final now. Kieran Tierney will just have to mark him out the game. 

Edited by Donathan

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It’s annoying that he’s pretty much frozen out by Real Madrid as we can’t count on him doing a hammy a few weeks before the final now. Kieran Tierney will just have to mark him out the game. 

Aye his next game will basically be the play off final.  You'd hope he would be rusty but he seems to not only be match fit but turn into the greatest footballer in history when he plays for Wales in Cardiff.  Annoying as fuck.

Aye as others have said, if Bale turns up on top form then he could win the game for Wales on his own. The good thing for Scotland is that the drop off between the quality of Bale and the rest of the team is massive. 

I see Ramsey started against Austria on Thursday, and after seeing some of his recent performances for Rangers, I very much hope he starts in the play off final if Scotland are to get through. He looks like he’s lost more than a yard of pace, and anytime I’ve seen him play recently he looks sloppy in possession, and that’s been against Scottish Premiership teams. I would like to think guys like McGinn or Gilmour won’t be giving him a minutes peace. Dan James has got the pace but not much else apart from that, he’s someone I’ve never been impressed with and he always seems to lack the quality to play a final ball or finish off a chance. He’s the Welsh version of Paul McMullan. 

Is there any chance of the match being moved to the Millennium Stadium if Scotland get past Ukraine? Cardiff’s stadium only holds 30 odd thousand and I would imagine there will be a ridiculous demand for tickets from both sets of fans. 

53 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I would like Is there any chance of the match being moved to the Millennium Stadium if Scotland get past Ukraine? Cardiff’s stadium only holds 30 odd thousand and I would imagine there will be a ridiculous demand for tickets from both sets of fans. 

Wales would be shooting themselves in the foot considering how well they play there so I don’t see it.

Bale scores goals that wins big games, he's been doing it throughout his career for club and country. We haven't really had anyone like that since Dalglish, and he was never really at his best for Scotland. I would make them slight favourites if we get through, home advantage and a true match winner in their team.

6 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Wales would be shooting themselves in the foot considering how well they play there so I don’t see it.

Wales have been here before when they moved the march to Anfield in 77 virtually handing Scotland home advantage. They won't make that mistake again.  

Wales have been here before when they moved the march to Anfield in 77 virtually handing Scotland home advantage. They won't make that mistake again.  
Surely they'd have a good chance of filling the millennium stadium for a game like this tho?

When was the last time Wales even used the Millennium Stadium for a home game? I remember them playing there against England in a Qualifier, but that was probably the best part of 10 years ago. A full Millennium Stadium for a game of this magnitude, and between two of the home nations, would be some spectacle. 

How many Scotland fans do people reckon will make the journey if we are to get through? If it’s at the Cardiff City stadium then obviously there will be much less tickets, but fans will make the journey to Cardiff anyway. If it was at the Millennium I think there could be 20 or 30 thousand going down.