Airdrie v QP

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

The fact that a 16 year old making his first ever start in professional football has came out of that game with the most credit speaks wonders of how bad we were today. Inexcusable, lazy and generally a bunch of cowards throughout most of this team. These players might have talent but without the desire and heart to win, you get no rewards. The way Connell turned his back  in the build up to Airdrie’s 2nd goal was laughable and somehow our marking seconds later eclipsed that. Connell can do one for next season. He might have a tidy left foot but he’s lacking in so many other areas and most notably he chucks tackles which for me can’t happen at this level

I could point out other individual players but I think the general consensus of fans will know who the main culprits are. Major surgery needed for next season. 90% of the team can leave for all I care

Only Brown and Bruce come out of that with pass marks. Brown at least tried to play properly and made some really decent passes in the opening stages. Bruce really grew as the game went on and you can tell he’s got something at 16. Lots of energy and provided some decent crosses which inevitably fell to nobody due to nobody having a goal scoring bone in their body 

For as embarrassing as we were, I like the way Airdrie play. They’re very tidy on the ball but crucially they do that by playing in between the lines and creating space all over the final third. Something that QP have significantly struggled with in an attacking sense. Dylan Easton I’d take in a heartbeat, he might be a nuisance to opposition fans but he split us apart and his finish was terrific. Not a hope in hell we get promoted via the playoffs if we make it 

TL:DR

What we saw yesterday was an Airdrie team who wanted it and didn’t have to do that much to get it. Fully deserved to win the game and no complaints on that front.

What we saw from Queen’s Park was a team of imposters and frauds who refused to take responsibility for their jobs within the team. I’ll exempt Cammy Bruce from that, because you can’t judge a sixteen year old kid when he was no leaders around him. 

I know there’s been the pantomime “boo boys” guff on here, but to make a serious point, this shower are short changing us. There will be the inevitable “giving the team pelters won’t help” but it doesn’t really fly when they were also shite when we were getting behind them. Applauding them at the end would have felt like the equivalent of thanking your mugger and shaking their hand. They don’t give a f**k.

One of the most insipid performances I’ve ever seen from a QP team. I can and have accepted shite when we’ve simply had limited players. This mob are well paid full-time professionals, best of facilities, a chef etc. They’re giving the fans and the club zero in return for what they’re getting.

Over the years, I’ve rarely gotten on the team’s back during a game but I know when I’m being conned. £18 to watch this gaggle of cowards, to sit in the shade on a glorious day and watch them half-arsing it. They’re a fucking disgrace to the jersey. Rip it up and start again. 

Thought last week's defending at Falkirk was schoolboy... QP appear to have topped it. 

Great finishes from Easton & Smith. In years gone by I don't think we'd have had midfield/forward players that have the composure in front of goal as our front 4/5 do at the minute.

The best team won, simple as that. Forget ball skills, tactics or anything else ball related. Airdrie have players who want to win. Their off-ball game was the big winner yesterday. And that’s the ingredient needed for the play-off knockout stages. Times running out to beat Cove but they’re a good bet for promotion.

For QP fans…it’s Sunday. Pray to your god Owen Coyle doesn’t see the highlights.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, an86 said:

What we saw yesterday was an Airdrie team who wanted it and didn’t have to do that much to get it. Fully deserved to win the game and no complaints on that front.

What we saw from Queen’s Park was a team of imposters and frauds who refused to take responsibility for their jobs within the team. I’ll exempt Cammy Bruce from that, because you can’t judge a sixteen year old kid when he was no leaders around him. 

I know there’s been the pantomime “boo boys” guff on here, but to make a serious point, this shower are short changing us. There will be the inevitable “giving the team pelters won’t help” but it doesn’t really fly when they were also shite when we were getting behind them. Applauding them at the end would have felt like the equivalent of thanking your mugger and shaking their hand. They don’t give a f**k.

One of the most insipid performances I’ve ever seen from a QP team. I can and have accepted shite when we’ve simply had limited players. This mob are well paid full-time professionals, best of facilities, a chef etc. They’re giving the fans and the club zero in return for what they’re getting.

Over the years, I’ve rarely gotten on the team’s back during a game but I know when I’m being conned. £18 to watch this gaggle of cowards, to sit in the shade on a glorious day and watch them half-arsing it. They’re a fucking disgrace to the jersey. Rip it up and start again. 

I think sometimes (with a certain type of player) all this can lead to the effort and commitment problem that you and a few other QP fans talk about. I think the last couple of years there has been an element of this with Falkirk too. Players thinking that they are too good for the league and that their quality will just automatically shine through. Players who haven't spent years at this level can be deceived into thinking the standard is terrible and therefore they just need to turn up, spray passes around and they'll cruise to victories. In reality it's a really tough league, unless you are committed, hard working and up for it you will really struggle. Slow possession based football also gets you absolutely nowhere in this league. As someone mentioned up the thread our improvement this year is down to us looking when possible to play through the lines. We do have long periods of possession but are always looking to be direct and play forward. Any time I've seen QP they seem to just think if they keep the ball long enough something will magically happen.

For players with good attitudes it would only be a positive, but for the wrong type of character having the best of everything in terms of facilities and pandering to their every need can just ingrain this idea that they are better than everyone and don't need to put in the graft.

Having said all that, QP are by no means out of it. They seem the kind of side who could turn it up a gear in the play-offs if they had extra motivation. Due to the way they play their games are always pretty close in terms of scoreline so it would just take them to have a bit of luck or a good day in front of goal and they would be a threat. 

The observations from the Airdrie fans on here about our team have been pretty much spot on

Big job ahead for the new head coach if we ever get round to appointing one. With all the loan players in the squad and several presumably out of contract……or just simply not performing a big turnover of players will be needed

Edited by Spider Rico

I was dug up on here by a QP fan after the 1-1 draw at home to East Fife months ago for calling our players “shitebags.” I was spot on then and it still applies today. Would happily get rid of 90% of them. As has been said,  you can accept a defeat if the players have given their all and simply lost to the better team. Airdrie thoroughly deserved their win yesterday but by all accounts they won’t have had an easier game all season.

Pathetic from us. 

The issue here is the recruitment. The players are either (1) too similar or (2) not good enough. Far too many loan players as well.
But no point booing and having a go at the players. I heard the usual suspects yesterday - quite sad really. The team don't pick themselves. Save your anger for those who are responsible for assembling (or more accurately cobbling together) this team.
And having said all that we are still in driving seat for play offs. 3 points (effectively 4) ahead of Falkirk .  They must be doing some things right.
So let's not chuck the towel in quite yet. If we get Murray or other injured players back soon (a big if I know) a lot can change

30 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

The issue here is the recruitment. The players are either (1) too similar or (2) not good enough. Far too many loan players as well.

But no point booing and having a go at the players. I heard the usual suspects yesterday - quite sad really. The team don't pick fhemselves. Save your anger for those who are responsible for assembling (or more accurately cobbling together) this team.

And having said all that we are still in driving seat for play offs. 3 points (effectively 4) ahead of Falkirk .  They must be doing some things right.

So let's not chuck the towel in quite yet. If we get Murray or other injured players back soon (a big if I know) a lot can change

Fair point to mention those responsible. I was shocked at the apparent lack of commitment yesterday. It begs the question whether they are being coached (by Beuker) to play that casual style although his comments at the end did not leave any room for interpretation. The main culprits to my mind are Dempster and Haughey who totally screwed up the managerial appointment and inexcusably wasted a recruitment window when we knew we had no fit strikers ( and Bob McHugh ). It seems their policy of youth youth youth preceded any desire to gain promotion. The players are who we have been left with by total mismanagement of the club.

2 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

But no point booing and having a go at the players. I heard the usual suspects yesterday - quite sad really. The team don't pick themselves. Save your anger for those who are responsible for assembling (or more accurately cobbling together) this team.

I half agree with you. The managerial situation at the start and middle of the season has been a shambles. Recruitment has been poor and the players are too similar in the sense that they are characterless, mouse hearted losers, who are stealing a wage. 

A chef, Premiership facilities, sport science, physios, among the best paid players in the league. The mentality of the players and support has to change. We’re not plucky amateur Queen’s Park anymore. That shouldn’t be mistaken for the lazy old “entitlement” line either. Nobody expects to win every week. There is a minimum expectation of giving 100%. Do you think Beuker is wrong as well? He basically said what the supposed “boo boys” have been saying for weeks.

Ultimately, if we stand and collectively applaud players who are half arsing it, embracing mediocrity for a large outlay, then we’ll probably get the team we deserve. All the clear issues off the park aside, this mob are taking the support for absolute mugs. They deserved every bit of stick they got yesterday.

The only hope is a new manager bounce. Even if we do get that, there’s less than a handful of these players that I’d trust to go into battle next season and maintain any form.

5 hours ago, an86 said:

I half agree with you. The managerial situation at the start and middle of the season has been a shambles. Recruitment has been poor and the players are too similar in the sense that they are characterless, mouse hearted losers, who are stealing a wage. 

A chef, Premiership facilities, sport science, physios, among the best paid players in the league. The mentality of the players and support has to change. We’re not plucky amateur Queen’s Park anymore. That shouldn’t be mistaken for the lazy old “entitlement” line either. Nobody expects to win every week. There is a minimum expectation of giving 100%. Do you think Beuker is wrong as well? He basically said what the supposed “boo boys” have been saying for weeks.

Ultimately, if we stand and collectively applaud players who are half arsing it, embracing mediocrity for a large outlay, then we’ll probably get the team we deserve. All the clear issues off the park aside, this mob are taking the support for absolute mugs. They deserved every bit of stick they got yesterday.

The only hope is a new manager bounce. Even if we do get that, there’s less than a handful of these players that I’d trust to go into battle next season and maintain any form.

I’m interested in this and your view as to how all of this is sustainable with the size of support you have. That’s where we have a lot of our problems by trying generating additional income and have failed miserably because of not having our own ground.

Significant difference in quality in the final third between the two sides on Saturday. QP so blunt up top, a really toothless display from them. Bereft of effective creativity. A lot of hopeful crosses. 

Two outstanding strikes for the goals and then a very professional second half from Airdrie.  A great result. Back five well worthy of the clean sheet. Fordyce and McCabe both immense again. 

Expect QP will still comfortably make up the final playoff spot; they have a significantly stronger midfield than Falkirk and that's usually the decisive area of the park in this league. The 16 year old left back had a really decent game and the quadruple sub was a novel wee moment. 

On 20/03/2022 at 14:48, williebraveheart said:

The main culprits to my mind are Dempster and Haughey who totally screwed up the managerial appointment and inexcusably wasted a recruitment window when we knew we had no fit strikers ( and Bob McHugh ).

What about the committee? They seem to be getting off lightly here. They're still officially running the club. Dempster (and the commercial team) are doing all the work the committee used to do and any suggestions / decisions that she makes are signed off by the President & his committee. I also wouldn't blame the guy who has been funding everything since January 2020 when it comes to recruitment. He has made the money available to bring in any player we want ( well, any that want to play full time in league 1) but the committee apparently decided not to go down that route this season with all the weird talk of "consolidation"......plus building the foundations for the future etc (which of course is important)

That still doesn't explain of course why Beuker didn't bring in any strikers in the January window (I'm assuming he was in charge of that) Maybe he's underestimated the standard of the league and thought the loanees would stroll it or he's relied on agents for info on these players. Either way, it's pretty obvious that none of the players brought in are proper strikers.     

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

What about the committee? They seem to be getting off lightly here. They're still officially running the club. Dempster (and the commercial team) are doing all the work the committee used to do and any suggestions / decisions that she makes are signed off by the President & his committee. I also wouldn't blame the guy who has been funding everything since January 2020 when it comes to recruitment. He has made the money available to bring in any player we want ( well, any that want to play full time in league 1) but the committee apparently decided not to go down that route this season with all the weird talk of "consolidation"......plus building the foundations for the future etc (which of course is important)

That still doesn't explain of course why Beuker didn't bring in any strikers in the January window (I'm assuming he was in charge of that) Maybe he's underestimated the standard of the league and thought the loanees would stroll it or he's relied on agents for info on these players. Either way, it's pretty obvious that none of the players brought in are proper strikers.     

Fair point. Not being a member I was not aware that the committee actually had any role to play other than nominal. I still see no place for that structure but that is maybe another argument. Perhaps more open communication from anyone within the club could clarify this point. If indeed it was a committee decision and not Dempster/Haughey to go for "consolidation" then all my criticism would be targeted at them. Nonetheless I still stand by my comment that we as a club have suffered from gross mismanagement this season and the sooner a structure of command is established the better.

3 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

I’m giving him a pass for January. Announced at the end of November, having to move over and all the issues and annoyances that entails, particularly in the current world we’re living in.

A few weeks in his office and he’s handed a live jobby grenade by the club. “Deal with that, would you mate?” There’s no way he’s yet familiar enough with the market or been a position to properly build recruitment structures, whilst having to familiarise himself with a new city and country, and been asked to take on a role outside his remit. Hung out to dry.

Think he’s conducted himself admirably in the circumstances and it’s clear he’s seeing what we’re seeing. The club hierarchy and the players share the blame for the on-field situation. A bad appointment, bad recruitment, a squad with a collectively lamentable attitude, and stumbling around in the dark trying to find fixes for the initial bad appointment.

Going by the noises from the club, Beuker is going to be big into the academy. Given the nature of the game and relatively short stays, it might be one of those ones where we can’t actually judge him until he’s gone and whether the seeds he’s planted are bearing fruit.

38 minutes ago, an86 said:

I’m giving him a pass for January. Announced at the end of November, having to move over and all the issues and annoyances that entails, particularly in the current world we’re living in.

A few weeks in his office and he’s handed a live jobby grenade by the club. “Deal with that, would you mate?” There’s no way he’s yet familiar enough with the market or been a position to properly build recruitment structures, whilst having to familiarise himself with a new city and country, and been asked to take on a role outside his remit. Hung out to dry.

Think he’s conducted himself admirably in the circumstances and it’s clear he’s seeing what we’re seeing. The club hierarchy and the players share the blame for the on-field situation. A bad appointment, bad recruitment, a squad with a collectively lamentable attitude, and stumbling around in the dark trying to find fixes for the initial bad appointment.

Going by the noises from the club, Beuker is going to be big into the academy. Given the nature of the game and relatively short stays, it might be one of those ones where we can’t actually judge him until he’s gone and whether the seeds he’s planted are bearing fruit.

I understand and appreciate all this. I'm confident he'll be a great addition to the club when he's allowed to get on with his actual job and I'm also well aware of what he's been landed with. I'm just speculating on the reasons why we didn't sign a striker in the window (well, one that's available to play for us outwith the Glasgow Cup)