Airdrie v QP

16 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest podcast is up. Thanks to David Roxburgh, Sean Smith and Emma Quigley for coming on and to Robert Dalzell for use of his photo 👍🏻♦️🎧

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/otl-podcast/id1458037240?i=1000554439824

Halfway through and enjoying the views. Paused to watch BBC Friday game. Certainly a top season in so many ways and desperate for us to finish top. I think we are the only team in L1 to have been nowhere else for at least a decade. Time as was said for Cove to suffer a wee delay. Congratulations to Ian McMillan and his longevity at 91 and  a former footballer legend.  posted elsewhere by another Diamond fan 

Edited by Chapelhall chap

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Congratulations to Ian McMillan and his longevity at 91 and  a former footballer legend.  posted elsewhere by another Diamond fan 

Had the privilege of seeing him play for the Diamonds and also meeting him in person at a POTY do.

Absolute legend!

8 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

Had the privilege of seeing him play for the Diamonds and also meeting him in person at a POTY do.

Absolute legend!

Yes I am also of that generation who saw him on his return to the Diamonds after the Ibrox exile! My Dad used to say that great as Ian was, Jimmy Welsh was just as good.  

6 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes I am also of that generation who saw him on his return to the Diamonds after the Ibrox exile! My Dad used to say that great as Ian was, Jimmy Welsh was just as good.  

My dad used to tell me about Baird, Gallagher, Welsh etc 

On 17/03/2022 at 14:21, Bring Your Own Socks said:

There’s always one post in a match thread makes you think “that’s the one that’ll come back to haunt them”……

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

lol, there’s always one post on the match thread that makes you think “that’s the one that’ll come back to haunt them”. 

The fact that a 16 year old making his first ever start in professional football has came out of that game with the most credit speaks wonders of how bad we were today. Inexcusable, lazy and generally a bunch of cowards throughout most of this team. These players might have talent but without the desire and heart to win, you get no rewards. The way Connell turned his back  in the build up to Airdrie’s 2nd goal was laughable and somehow our marking seconds later eclipsed that. Connell can do one for next season. He might have a tidy left foot but he’s lacking in so many other areas and most notably he chucks tackles which for me can’t happen at this level

I could point out other individual players but I think the general consensus of fans will know who the main culprits are. Major surgery needed for next season. 90% of the team can leave for all I care

Only Brown and Bruce come out of that with pass marks. Brown at least tried to play properly and made some really decent passes in the opening stages. Bruce really grew as the game went on and you can tell he’s got something at 16. Lots of energy and provided some decent crosses which inevitably fell to nobody due to nobody having a goal scoring bone in their body 

For as embarrassing as we were, I like the way Airdrie play. They’re very tidy on the ball but crucially they do that by playing in between the lines and creating space all over the final third. Something that QP have significantly struggled with in an attacking sense. Dylan Easton I’d take in a heartbeat, he might be a nuisance to opposition fans but he split us apart and his finish was terrific. Not a hope in hell we get promoted via the playoffs if we make it 

Two cracking goals but I was amazed at Frizzel seeing those three players for the second, while Queens Park seemed to be asleep. It was a great take down and strike by Dylan Easton. It also let me relax as one is never enough. Callum Smith had a reprise of his Falkirk goal and scoring first is so crucial in any game. We kinda lost the way a wee bit in 2nd half probably due to being unsure who these 4 new subs were. I have seen Ian Murray with a triplet but that was a first for me. 

Queens Park did make more of it and were certainly dangerous down our right hand side but never really took advantage. The one excellent shot , saved by Currie, had no one reacting. 

Nice football occasionally from them but it's the goals that matter. Many of the nice players just don't yet have the dig needed in L1. 

We did seem to retreat for long spells and I was glad to see it finish with a clean sheet, despite my predictions. All to play for next week and it's the decisive game. Pity Montrose did not do us a favour.

A fairly comfortable win for Airdrie. That’s the 8th time I’ve seen Queen’s Park this season and excluding the 6-0 pumping against Falkirk, they’ve only scored three times in the other games. They’re neat and tidy on the ball but have absolutely no cutting edge. Once again I never felt like we were going to concede against them. Queen’s Park are my local team so I’m generally quite keen to see their games if Airdrie aren’t playing but the combination of the trip to Firhill, the pitch there and the boring football makes it pretty unappealing. I feel for Queen’s Park fans as while it’s not a terrible season, it’s an incredibly boring one. The quadruple sub was a good laugh though, even if it never really improved them.

I think @qpfcmakes a good point about Airdrie playing between the lines. Two midfields of Agnew, Easton, Frizzell and Brown, Connell, Smith is about as technically good as you’ll get at this level. The big difference though is the way Airdrie’s midfield impacts on and dominates the game. He second goal was a great example, a brilliant pass from Frizzell to find Easton who had dropped off into space and then a great finish to kill the game. We play pretty open attacking football, with Agnew sitting and Frizzell and Easton getting on the ball loads and driving forward. Queen’s Park have technically good players in there but whether it’s the players mentality or the way they’re coached, they’re very safe and rarely cut teams open. 

It’s a shame the gap at the top hasn’t closed but that’s three good wins in a row from potentially tricky games. Great to see Callum Smith get another goal, he looks really sharp at the moment and full of confidence. His shot early on from a set-piece was a great example of that, very powerful and the kind of thing he wouldn’t have done a couple of months ago. I thought Scott Agnew was the best player on the park. Never wasted a pass, kept things neat and tidy and allowed Frizzell and Easton to push on and do what they do best. We never really kicked on in the second half the way I thought we would but it was a pretty professional performance to see out the game without much danger.

48 minutes ago, qpfc said:

The fact that a 16 year old making his first ever start in professional football has came out of that game with the most credit speaks wonders of how bad we were today. Inexcusable, lazy and generally a bunch of cowards throughout most of this team. These players might have talent but without the desire and heart to win, you get no rewards. The way Connell turned his back  in the build up to Airdrie’s 2nd goal was laughable and somehow our marking seconds later eclipsed that. Connell can do one for next season. He might have a tidy left foot but he’s lacking in so many other areas and most notably he chucks tackles which for me can’t happen at this level

I could point out other individual players but I think the general consensus of fans will know who the main culprits are. Major surgery needed for next season. 90% of the team can leave for all I care

Only Brown and Bruce come out of that with pass marks. Brown at least tried to play properly and made some really decent passes in the opening stages. Bruce really grew as the game went on and you can tell he’s got something at 16. Lots of energy and provided some decent crosses which inevitably fell to nobody due to nobody having a goal scoring bone in their body 

For as embarrassing as we were, I like the way Airdrie play. They’re very tidy on the ball but crucially they do that by playing in between the lines and creating space all over the final third. Something that QP have significantly struggled with in an attacking sense. Dylan Easton I’d take in a heartbeat, he might be a nuisance to opposition fans but he split us apart and his finish was terrific. Not a hope in hell we get promoted via the playoffs if we make it 

Has anything  been confirmed about Owen Coyle taking over,      Queens IMO have a couple of class players,  Brown and Connell, the rest look like a bunch of FAlkirk rejects...

Airdrie well worth there win,  typical performance,    confidence flowing through the whole side,   The system Murray plays suits the players and they have bought into it.....

That's us officially in the Play offs,    Preseason minimum requirements met......

22 minutes ago, an86 said:

Beuker raging and questioning the effort and commitment of the players. Clearly just a boo boy who was waiting for things to go wrong imo.

I do like listening to him: 'I tried to read the rules at half time, and it seems we couldn't substitute them all', and 'no, the only positive to take from that was the performance of a 16 yo in his first start'.

Exciting times for Queen's Park, but as commented by Mr. November, a very boring season. It's clear to see we have no threat up front, and from the manner of today's defending, I do wonder if we have anything to build on for next season? 

I expected Airdrie to tail off after McInroy left, and they picked up a few injuries, but they are in fact even better, and pretty much strolled it this afternoon. Our heaviest defeat of the season?