Montrose vs Cove

Another 3 points but it was a nervy end and not a convincing performance from Cove, especially second half. 

A couple of precision crosses from Shay Logan led to well taken goals from Mitch and Fyvie but the Craig Johnston header towards the end of the second half gave Mo a lifeline. Mo just lacked some cutting edge up front to fashion a clear cut opportunity. Gardyne would have contributed to the latter.

As for Cove we didn't have our short sharp passing game today and we're going too long too often. It worked, at times, with Rory winning his fair share in the air and holding it up. Scully offered little down the left, something Harry would have excelled at. 

Jamie Masson and Leighton McIntosh brought on late in the game. Can't help but think neither will play for us next season and it just showed our lack of depth. Ola should be getting game time ahead of both of the aforementioned.

Mo will finish 3rd I'm fairly sure and will be a threat in the semi final playoff to whoever finishes 2nd 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Poor game, yes 2 great balls in for the goals but can’t help but think they could have been dealt with better. Thoughts going into the game with a bit of a patchwork squad were we’d get a draw or get pumped. Neither happened but if we were a bit sharper up top we may have gotten the draw. 

Another poor refereeing performance. So inconsistent and the booking for Terry Masson when he has made a good solid challenge, winning the ball, was an absolute joke  

50 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Another 3 points but it was a nervy end and not a convincing performance from Cove, especially second half. 

A couple of precision crosses from Shay Logan led to well taken goals from Mitch and Fyvie but the Craig Johnston header towards the end of the second half gave Mo a lifeline. Mo just lacked some cutting edge up front to fashion a clear cut opportunity. Gardyne would have contributed to the latter.

As for Cove we didn't have our short sharp passing game today and we're going too long too often. It worked, at times, with Rory winning his fair share in the air and holding it up. Scully offered little down the left, something Harry would have excelled at. 

Jamie Masson and Leighton McIntosh brought on late in the game. Can't help but think neither will play for us next season and it just showed our lack of depth. Ola should be getting game time ahead of both of the aforementioned.

Mo will finish 3rd I'm fairly sure and will be a threat in the semi final playoff to whoever finishes 2nd 

Interesting read and it does look that next week's trip to Airdrie will be exciting! Clearly we need to win and you are right that Montrose will be tough for whoever finishes 2nd. 

Fair play to Cove experienced well drilled team with quality all over the park.How much the Mo would love a Mcallister and Megginson up top at present we just don't have enough quality in that department.

As for the game we played okay but too much high balls up to the forwards for my liking.Liked the look of new guy Lyle Cameron you can see their is a player in their,Dillion played well at the back along with Matty tough afternoon trying to keep their forwards quiet good battle so it was Rory knows all the tricks in the book so he does.

Better side won.  Cove’s “professional” approach in the second half was hilarious .. helped by a gullible ref.  Booking Terry after having given the foul to Montrose was my favourite.  Why does Logan run around with his shorts tucked into a nappy lookalike? I quite like his “couldn’t give a fkk” attitude but that look is simply weird. His 5 min argument with Vigurs in the first half was also a bit strange. 

Aaaaaaargh.

Cove have two experienced and reliable goalscorers, we don't, and that's why they're 14 points ahead. Called the second goal as soon as the cross came in - we just couldn't deal with direct set pieces. In fairness I didn't expect us to have as much of the game as we did, especially second half - CJ put in a really good shift today, and I like what I see from Cameron. Can't fault the effort, but like so many games at LP this season we haven't found the way to win that we seen to manage away from home. It's a very bizarre problem. Another piss awful referee to boot. I didn't rate Cove's defence too much without Milne, but they were still smart enough to get home today.

All we can do now is bank a few more points to lock up the top four while keeping the red card count down. Our best XI can give any of Cove/Airdrie/Pars/QOTS a game, but that lack of killer striker is haunting us. 

1 hour ago, notsofedupendie said:

Better side won.  Cove’s “professional” approach in the second half was hilarious .. helped by a gullible ref.  Booking Terry after having given the foul to Montrose was my favourite.  Why does Logan run around with his shorts tucked into a nappy lookalike? I quite like his “couldn’t give a fkk” attitude but that look is simply weird. His 5 min argument with Vigurs in the first half was also a bit strange. 

God only knows, looks completely daft! I thought Ramsbottom had an issue with hoicking up his shorts but Logan is on a different level altogether.

2 hours ago, Scorge said:

Aaaaaaargh.

Cove have two experienced and reliable goalscorers, we don't, and that's why they're 14 points ahead. Called the second goal as soon as the cross came in - we just couldn't deal with direct set pieces. In fairness I didn't expect us to have as much of the game as we did, especially second half - CJ put in a really good shift today, and I like what I see from Cameron. Can't fault the effort, but like so many games at LP this season we haven't found the way to win that we seen to manage away from home. It's a very bizarre problem. Another piss awful referee to boot. I didn't rate Cove's defence too much without Milne, but they were still smart enough to get home today.

All we can do now is bank a few more points to lock up the top four while keeping the red card count down. Our best XI can give any of Cove/Airdrie/Pars/QOTS a game, but that lack of killer striker is haunting us. 

We are very fortunate to have the front two of Rory and Mitch. 31 league goals between them. Probably will end up number 1 and 2 in the goal scoring charts for the season. The partnership they have is outstanding. 

We have almost no backup to them it must be said and haven't for 3 years. When one is out we've got Leighton (sigh) or even as of late we tried playing Fyvie or Masson (midfielders) up top. We have Ola Adeyemo but PH just doesn't want to play him.

I also thought CJ had a very good game. He was a handful in the air, chased the ball down and went into the channels at times. All round good performance and got on the score sheet. Lyall Cameron has attacking threat. Wants to be direct. Dillon, 39 this year, did well at the back alongside Matty Allan.

Harry Milne is undoubtedly our best defender and best winger. His pace, power and ability to supply just isn't there when Scully slots in at LWB. 

I think 3rd is banked for Mo so it's Airdrie or us in the semis.

12 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We are very fortunate to have the front two of Rory and Mitch. 31 league goals between them. Probably will end up number 1 and 2 in the goal scoring charts for the season. The partnership they have is outstanding. 

We have almost no backup to them it must be said and haven't for 3 years. When one is out we've got Leighton (sigh) or even as of late we tried playing Fyvie or Masson (midfielders) up top. We have Ola Adeyemo but PH just doesn't want to play him.

I also thought CJ had a very good game. He was a handful in the air, chased the ball down and went into the channels at times. All round good performance and got on the score sheet. Lyall Cameron has attacking threat. Wants to be direct. Dillon, 39 this year, did well at the back alongside Matty Allan.

Harry Milne is undoubtedly our best defender and best winger. His pace, power and ability to supply just isn't there when Scully slots in at LWB. 

I think 3rd is banked for Mo so it's Airdrie or us in the semis.

A think if you guys beat Airdrie next week the title will be yours and deservedly so.20 games unbeaten a heard PH say in his interview that is some going to be honest.A hope our form picks up for the play offs if we manage to get their which I think we will I may add.Gardyne along with Ballantyne and Webster were a huge loss for us yesterday but we can have no excuses better team won,we did huff and puff but just lacking in the forward department to kill teams off.

10 hours ago, mo83 said:

A think if you guys beat Airdrie next week the title will be yours and deservedly so.20 games unbeaten a heard PH say in his interview that is some going to be honest.A hope our form picks up for the play offs if we manage to get their which I think we will I may add.Gardyne along with Ballantyne and Webster were a huge loss for us yesterday but we can have no excuses better team won,we did huff and puff but just lacking in the forward department to kill teams off.

Next week is massive for us and for Airdrie of course. Will be a tense occasion for the fans.

8 points clear with 5 games to go would require us to crash and burn a bit to lose it. A draw would be a good result but we won't set out for that. Airdrie win then they will likely go 1pt clear the following Saturday as we don't play until the Sunday; we'll be chasing for the first time in months.

20 unbeaten has been some journey. Think it's 14 wins and 6 draws. Airdrie are 14 unbeaten; 10 wins and 4 draws. They have momentum as well so not sure how it will go.

With the 3 you mentioned back in the team Montrose will be a match for anyone in the playoffs. When is Webby due back?

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Next week is massive for us and for Airdrie of course. Will be a tense occasion for the fans.

8 points clear with 5 games to go would require us to crash and burn a bit to lose it. A draw would be a good result but we won't set out for that. Airdrie win then they will likely go 1pt clear the following Saturday as we don't play until the Sunday; we'll be chasing for the first time in months.

20 unbeaten has been some journey. Think it's 14 wins and 6 draws. Airdrie are 14 unbeaten; 10 wins and 4 draws. They have momentum as well so not sure how it will go.

With the 3 you mentioned back in the team Montrose will be a match for anyone in the playoffs. When is Webby due back?

Heard he has an injury that could keep him out the remainder of the season unfortunately but we will wait and see if we anything comes out this week about it.

We have Airdrie in a few weeks time at home too be interesting then to see what the table is looking like.A think by the time the play offs come around we should hopefully have everyone fit and ready and fingers crossed a bit of momentum going into the games.

12 hours ago, mo83 said:

Heard he has an injury that could keep him out the remainder of the season unfortunately but we will wait and see if we anything comes out this week about it.

We have Airdrie in a few weeks time at home too be interesting then to see what the table is looking like.A think by the time the play offs come around we should hopefully have everyone fit and ready and fingers crossed a bit of momentum going into the games.

yes, I've also heard season finished for Webby with tendonitis