Saints v Motherwell, Saturday 19th March

Been on and off about going to this one for awhile but there are better ways to spend my Saturday than watching Alexander put top 6 to bed once and for all. A glance at the score at 5pm will do.

We’re getting a draw at best here.

Good luck to anyone trying to guess our starting 11. Have a punt at the lottery if you do somehow guess it.

I’m struggling to remember a time when I’ve been less enthused about a Motherwell team that I’ve been reduced to unhelpful negative sniping.

St Johnstone 1 Motherwell 0

4 goalless draws in 173 meetings between the sides - only one (April 2018) since Saints regained top-flight status in 2009. Saints unbeaten in last 3 Motherwell trips to Perth.   

One of those streaks is ending on Saturday 

Mind the good old days when Motherwell would score first then we'd come roaring back and win 2-1 or 3-1? [emoji16]

Not happening this time [emoji45]
Callum to play for and be delighted with a 0-0.

We haven’t scored first in a game in a long long time.

I’m hoping for the ugliest of 1-0 wins with McGinley scoring with an attempted cross.

With results as they are and very few players getting more than a couple of starts in a row before being bounced back onto the bench, confidence and morale must be on the wane no matter what positive spin they try to put out on the socials. 

With that in mind, when we're ringing this weeks inevitable changes, why don't we give a couple of the young guys a chance in the middle of the park and try actually playing some positive football for a change?. A bit of hunger and desire to impress would be a welcome change to the passive shite we normally endure. 

With Mugabi out SOD will obviously come back in, and on the other side McGinley will probably get the nod ahead of Carroll. I'd stick with Lamie too ahead of Ojala, give him time to detach that caravan he looks to have been towing the last couple of weeks.

Kelly

SOD           SOL    LAMIE       McGINLEY

CORNELIUS   SLATTERY  DONNELLY

TIERNEY

KVV                          WOOLERY

This 100% won't happen, and we will produce the usual disjointed bollocks and all too predictable outcome. 1-0 home win in an utter eye bleeder.

5 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

With results as they are and very few players getting more than a couple of starts in a row before being bounced back onto the bench, confidence and morale must be on the wane no matter what positive spin they try to put out on the socials. 

With that in mind, when we're ringing this weeks inevitable changes, why don't we give a couple of the young guys a chance in the middle of the park and try actually playing some positive football for a change?. A bit of hunger and desire to impress would be a welcome change to the passive shite we normally endure. 

With Mugabi out SOD will obviously come back in, and on the other side McGinley will probably get the nod ahead of Carroll. I'd stick with Lamie too ahead of Ojala, give him time to detach that caravan he looks to have been towing the last couple of weeks.

Kelly

SOD           SOL    LAMIE       McGINLEY

CORNELIUS   SLATTERY  DONNELLY

TIERNEY

KVV                          WOOLERY

This 100% won't happen, and we will produce the usual disjointed bollocks and all too predictable outcome. 1-0 home win in an utter eye bleeder.

My guess would be:

Kelly
Ojala Johansen Lamie
SOD Cornelius Donnelly McGinley
Tierney
KVV Efford

Efford's got 2 in his last 2 so that's something, Cornelius started (and scored) against Saints back in December. I'm 100% on the Tierney bus though (not that I think he'll start).

It seemed a bit out the blue that we went 523 on Sunday, it's not a shape we've tried before but IIRC it's a shape that Saints have used in the past. It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we try to match up with them.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

My guess would be:

Kelly
Ojala Johansen Lamie
SOD Cornelius Donnelly McGinley
Tierney
KVV Efford

Efford's got 2 in his last 2 so that's something, Cornelius started (and scored) against Saints back in December. I'm 100% on the Tierney bus though (not that I think he'll start).

It seemed a bit out the blue that we went 523 on Sunday, it's not a shape we've tried before but IIRC it's a shape that Saints have used in the past. It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we try to match up with them.

Definitely agree on Efford in that his goals may merit his place, just feel he's a wee bit to go in terms of his all round game. Woolery has certainly been patchy over the course of the season, but on his last couple of starts he's looked a lot more dangerous. 

36 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We used it a lot last season, but it's not been so common for the past few months, where 5-3-2 has been the preference.

Tbh, I'd imagine if O'Hara's fit he'd be in to make it a midfield 3. Generally when he's been fit Alexander's played him.

As others have said though, f**k knows what our line-up will be. It's anyone's guess.

The starting line I want and the starting line up I think he'll pick are undoubtedly far apart. I can't remember the last time I didn't wince at the twitter feed around 2pm.

His mindset will be:

Sol and Lamie are shoe-ins, SOD played not bad on Sunday, McGinley or Carroll, he tends to favour the former, but think Carroll is the lesser of two evils here.

He loves a stat so Dean will be retained because he scored against them last time out. Donnelly he views as his only real a ball winner. Slattery has been bench warming for long enough now it seems inevitable he has to get a start eventually, so it'll be O'Hara.

He reckons KVV on an off day is better than anyone else so will stick, Efford for his scoring record of late, toss up between on form forward for March vs Roberts who played OK on Saturday after coming in raised a few eyebrows.

Is Mugabi's suspension carried forward into next years Scottish Cup or does he serve it in the league?

Edited by Kapowzer

The team I'd like for us to put out on Saturday;

Kelly

SOD  Sol  Lamie  McGinley

Cornelius  O'Hara  Slattery

Roberts  KvV  Woolery

The team I expect Alexander to pick on Saturday;

Kelly

Corrigan  Burrows  Krivokapic  McGinley

O'Hara  Donnelly  Aldo the Kitman

Alex Burns  KvV  Trevor Molloy

1-1.

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Never go full Gary Rowett. There is no way back. 

We'll revert to a back four and bring in SOD, despite the fact last week we tried a back three with a centre-half at wing-back.

Cornelius played well, like he's done in every start, so that means he'll be replaced by Goss.

Efford now has 2 goals in 2 and Roberts looked decent enough on Sunday, so as punishment one if not both will get dropped for Woolery and/or Shields. (FWIW, Woolery starts in my team every week anyway).

There will be at least one more wildcard in there.

Those are my predictions.