Saints v Motherwell, Saturday 19th March

A match Saints need to take 3 points from, as on paper Motherwell at home might be the best chance out of our three remaining pre-split fixtures.

Important match for Motherwell too, as they’ll be keen to stop a season that promised a fair bit from fizzling out in bottom six mediocrity.

Motherwell haven’t won since Boxing Day, Saints have won twice since the end of October, so a fair portion of this contest could be two sides trying to work out how you win matches.

I believe we’ll have a few players back, hopefully Murray is fit.

Clark

Cleary Gordon McCart 

Rooney                       Gallacher

Davidson  Hallberg 

Crawford

Hendry Bair

It won’t be Bair but it should be Bair. Cifti and Middleton were both terrible at Hibs, May has had countless opportunities.

Clark
       Cleary Gordon McCart 
Rooney                       Gallacher
           Davidson  Hallberg 
                   Crawford
               Hendry Bair

It won’t be Bair but it should be Bair. Cifti and Middleton were both terrible at Hibs, May has had countless opportunities.

Could we replace Crawford with Bryson? Apart from that I’d agree.

18 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Could we replace Crawford with Bryson? Apart from that I’d agree.

Is Bryson available?

Better player, but not sure he’ll be thrown straight in after a lengthy lay off.  
Maybe say the same about Rooney but I don’t think he’s been out as long..

19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Is Bryson available?

Better player, but not sure he’ll be thrown straight in after a lengthy lay off.  
Maybe say the same about Rooney but I don’t think he’s been out as long..

I'd absolutely throw Bryson straight in if he's fit. We have eight games to go, one of which is away to Celtic. We need points on the board. Get our best players out there on Saturday and try to get three now.

Clark

Cleary Gordon McCart

Rooney Davidson Bryson Gallacher

Hallberg

Hendry May/Bair/Middleton (there are arguments for all of them, I don't really mind)

I honestly don't us winning this.

Absolutely no clue what the starting 11 will be. No one anyone does anymore. So I look forward to trying to figure what sort of formation Alexander is attempting this week. I would like to see us go with:

Kelly; SOD, Sol, Lamie, McGinley; Slattery, Tierney, Cornelius; Woolery, Van Veen, Roberts. But it won't be anywhere near that. We'll inevitably concede first like we always do, equalise just before or after halftime then concede a late goal for Saints to win 2-1.

1 hour ago, 18May1991 said:

Sigh, must we…….? 

This was my attitude too but perversely I'm now as up for it as ever despite our form.

The Hibs game showed again the players are neither completely useless or giving up.

Barring a miracle fifth gets you into Europe.

St Johnstone - no offence lads - are clearly absolute horseshite. A scrambled win through a deflection or soft penalty and we're likely top six with a couple of games to go, potentially on course for Europe and are feeling like we might somehow salvage this. I mean, I know that's probably only going to last a week till we lose to St Mirren but there's enough depression and misery supporting us at the best of times, you might as well clutch the straws when they're there.

Kelly; SOD; SSJ; Lamie; McGinley; Donnelly, Cornelius, Slattery⋆; Roberts, KVV, Woolery for me though there's obviously no chance of Slattery. I think he'll recall Goss.

0-2. Let's go mental.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

We've kept one clean sheet in 14 (fourteen!), playing for a 0-0 against us is insane. 

Why do you think we are where we are…..

Just now, Widge said:

Why do you think we are where we are…..

I didn't think you were that bad when we played in December - the first half was a nothing game with the only difference being our shot from the edge of the box went just inside the post while yours 10 minutes later went just wide. 

But clearly there's problems all over the pitch and dugout, you don't get to where we are with St J's record otherwise.

I said it in our thread the other week but it feels to me like Alexander's just been tying himself in knots and getting distracted by what I'd imagine he thinks is the "big picture" but he's been getting fucked up by the day to day (the days being those we're actually having to play games).

Alexander's relative success with us through 2021 was really about having a "just fucking win" attitude. Doesn't matter how we do it, whether it's pretty or not...Just.fucking.win.

Post-winter break he seems to have decided that the best way to navigate the fixture pile-up through Jan/Feb into March is to focus on load management and rotate players in and out. Which is fine and it's great that by and large we seem to have a fit and healthy squad now but we're also only won two games in that time neither of which were in the league and we've somehow contrived to concede first in 12 of our 13 games - compared with our pre-break form of 5 wins from 8 and 4 clean sheets.

giphy.gif