The Top Six Crunch

We always tend to start slowly after a bit of a break, we didn't play last weekend so will go to Tynecastle likely taking a while to get going. Then we've got the international break before we play St Johnstone. A couple good results for Motherwell/Dundee United/St Mirren, and it wouldn't surprise me if we dropped into the bottom 6 in our last game against Motherwell.

Been thinking about how badly we trailed off last season after our good run, but difference then was that we knew we wouldn't get into Europe (something to do with not having a youth setup or something equally stupid I'm sure) but that's all sorted now so no reason for anyone to down tools, and with likely 5 of the top 6 getting into Europe it should be a cracking run in for whoever makes it.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

On the face of it, you are right. We have a couple of difficult matches in there, whereas on paper the Well ones are easier.

However St J are fighting for their lives, St M and Livi are desperate for top 6, and Well are on a shocking run of games right now. You think it "has" to end, but I wouldnt be too keen that the Fermers were the first test.

Presumably you will be without Mugabi as well for that one?

As you say I did not say easy. I said on paper easier. 

We are quite capable of picking up 1 point from those 3 games. In fact most Motherwell fans right now would not be at all surprised if that was the outcome. 

Right now we are clinging to the hope our shite run has to finish at some point. There is little evidence that it will. Hence the pessimism. 

The only thing in our favour is that on Saturday (in reality) being away from home and St J desperate to get the points the pressure should be less on us than them. Again completely clutching at straws. 

Edited by welldaft

2 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

I think it will be: 

4 - Livingston

5 - Motherwell

6 - Hibs

Hibs' remaining fixtures are tricky, with Well and Livvy having slightly easier runs. I really feel for County - they've done so well to get to this position, but have a right scunner of a fixture list left to go. 

I think motherwell  4

Dundee Utd 5

Aberdeen  6

It's certainly possible for County to make the top 6, but even being optimistic it's hard to imagine coming away with better than draws against Celtic & Hearts & a win at Aberdeen, & the draw at Parkhead is being mighty optimistic. And being realistic Comrie's prediction of 2 points from the 3 games is far more likely. Meanwhile it's much easier to see Dundee United getting 2 wins from their final 3. Then again they could absolutely get beat by St Mirren so it's a crapshoot really.

But I think Hibs, Livi & Dundee United are the most likely to make the top 6. County could do it if they get very lucky with other results & are still able to get at least 1 win & 1 draw I suppose, but I'd not bet on that.

I'm genuinely bricking it. 

We've been shite against Motherwell and Hearts for a while now and St Johnstone is 50/50. Martindale has come out banging the drum a bit with the claim that top 6 this season would wipe out our debt entirely. That's before even thinking about Europe.

21 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Sairy having a normal one, I see.....................

you seriously think your a top six team then? incredible I think you will struggle to get even a couple of points beginning with Aberdeen next game ,Nah it's a plummet to the bottom for you's

On 15/03/2022 at 11:16, Al B said:

I share other 'Well fans' pessimism, but let's be honest the most on-brand Motherwell outcome here is to manage Top 6 and then be the only team in it that doesn't get a European spot, with five post-split drubbings from the teams above as a sweetner.

I would take this outcome all day for United tbh

Edited by Junior_Arab

22 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I'm genuinely bricking it. 

We've been shite against Motherwell and Hearts for a while now and St Johnstone is 50/50. Martindale has come out banging the drum a bit with the claim that top 6 this season would wipe out our debt entirely. That's before even thinking about Europe.

We were shite in our first game against Hearts, played them off the park in the first half in the next one, but failed to take advantage of that and ended up losing the game 1-0, then held them to a 0-0 draw over 120 mins at Tynnie, having the closest chance off the woodwork in that time, and lost in a pen shoot out, another draw on Sat would do us, maybe even sneaking a win for pay back to our home loss.

Agree we're shite against Motherwell though, but Watt is away to Utd, and he always ran us all over the place, Utd prob would've beaten us if he hadn't gone off injured too, he's that much of a pain in the arse to us. Think it'll make a big difference not playing against him in the Motherwell game.

Yeah who knows against St Johnstone, they're fighting for Premiership survival, and always tight games against them.

Think we need a win from one of those games, and possibly 2 draws, our GD isn't too bad so 5 pts would prob do it, 4 would be tight, somebody will also prob pull off an unexpected win against Celtic or Sevco too, just to make things even more uncertain.