Heart of Midlothian v Hibernian - Scottish Cup SF

Lyle Lanley

44 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

£35 is steep for a semi final, £25 for the East/West stands is slightly more reasonable.

I don’t think the clubs can complain too much given what they charge for derbies at their own stadiums though.

Not trying to shift 50,000 tickets for a league derby. And unlike a league derby, the majority of tickets for this one were not sold last summer in a bigger package.

<conspiracy theory time>

Having this semi live on free TV, in Glasgow, on Easter Weekend when many have other commitments, with shite train schedules, and a pish kick off time, allied to £35 for the top ticket will lead to a lower attendance than in other circumstances - the numbers will be good, but perhaps not a sellout?

That makes it ideal for whichever of the Glasgow clubs make the final to moan their tits off (as always) about ticket allocation for the final.............................

p.s. I am going, hopefully an early start on the peeve at the usual bowling club too.

Edited by Leith Green

Having this semi live on free TV, in Glasgow, on Easter Weekend when many have other commitments, with shite train schedules, and a pish kick off time, allied to £35 for the top ticket will lead to a lower attendance than in other circumstances - the numbers will be good, but perhaps not a sellout?
That makes it ideal for whichever of the Glasgow clubs make the final to moan their tits off (as always) about ticket allocation for the final.............................

Putting the excuses in early I see.

Not trying to shift 50,000 tickets for a league derby. And unlike a league derby, the majority of tickets for this one were not sold last summer in a bigger package.

Hearts and Hibs simply have no credibility in saying "£35 is too much for this fixture" whilst charging a very similar amount for it themselves. It is obviously extortionate and fans should quite rightly be annoyed, but the clubs come across as massive hypocrites.

Does it matter if they’re shafting 5000 or 50,000 fans? Clubs will charge as much as they can get away with. Fair enough if you want to do that but don’t come out with statements saying that you’re concerned about the affordability for supporters when their actions show that they’re clearly not.

11 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Does it matter if they’re shafting 5000 or 50,000 fans? Clubs will charge as much as they can get away with. Fair enough if you want to do that but don’t come out with statements saying that you’re concerned about the affordability for supporters when their actions show that they’re clearly not.

We sold all walk up tickets for £5 v St Johnstone 2 weeks ago...........

Edited by Leith Green

2 hours ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Putting the excuses in early I see.

I’ll be surprised if this game isn’t a sell out. 

9 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s one game, what does it usually cost?

Nae idea, I have a ST, you look it up.

But your point was that football clubs always scalp as much as they can, etc etc........and it's not always the case.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hearts and Hibs simply have no credibility in saying "£35 is too much for this fixture" whilst charging a very similar amount for it themselves. It is obviously extortionate and fans should quite rightly be annoyed, but the clubs come across as massive hypocrites.

Kind of like your credibility being in tatters after saying it's ok to book someone for blocking a quick free-kick, but not someone else...err... blocking a quick free-kick.

The clubs will be devastated to hear you feel this way. The contrarian shtick is dull.

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

It quite clearly makes a difference how many tickets you're trying to shift.

It's not really an ethical point about charging fans, it's about supply and demand and getting bums on seats. You can clearly charge more for a game taking place on pay-TV at, say, Tynecastle, where there are only a few thousand seats left after season ticket holders are accounted for and most people will be local than you can for a game with a starting point of 0 sales with 50,000 to go that's taking place at lunchtime in another city live on free tv. This game has a capacity of about 260% that of a normal derby and it's further away.

It's not a difficult point. Add in, as the clubs pointed out, that money is pretty tight just now, and it could have been handled a lot better.

Still. It's done now, so what to do?

Edited by VincentGuerin

On 14/03/2022 at 22:06, HibsFan said:

And now we have a weapon, we've never used before...

image.thumb.png.ccff0cba70e60f5722702cd8b60ac031.png

The very picture of someone who looks like they have never used their weapon before, actually.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Kind of like your credibility being in tatters after saying it's ok to book someone for blocking a quick free-kick, but not someone else...err... blocking a quick free-kick.

The clubs will be devastated to hear you feel this way. The contrarian shtick is dull.

I don't think saying that Hearts and Hibs also rip off their supporters (and opposing supporters) regularly is at all contrarian, since nearly everyone apart from one-eyed supporters of those clubs would agree. The last time we played at Tynecastle I'm sure it was £26 for Killie fans, and I'm led to believe that has now gone up to £27. That's £2 more for a bog standard Premiership match than half of the tickets for an Edinburgh derby Scottish Cup semi-final.

If Hearts think those tickets are too expensive then by definition they also think their own tickets are too expensive. Which they are.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think saying that Hearts and Hibs also rip off their supporters (and opposing supporters) regularly is at all contrarian, since nearly everyone apart from one-eyed supporters of those clubs would agree. The last time we played at Tynecastle I'm sure it was £26 for Killie fans, and I'm led to believe that has now gone up to £27. That's £2 more for a bog standard Premiership match than half of the tickets for an Edinburgh derby Scottish Cup semi-final.

If Hearts think those tickets are too expensive then by definition they also think their own tickets are too expensive. Which they are.

I mean, we're in 'this one is close, this one is far away' territory here.

As stated previously, the supply issue here is completely different. A derby at Tynecastle has in the region of 7,000ish tickets available for public sale. The game is either behind a tv pay-wall or not on tv at all, and most potential ticket-buyers live relatively close by.

This game is in a much bigger venue, there are 50,000 tickets to sell, it will be live on free-to-air tv, and it's being played much further away from the normal audience than a game at Tynecastle or Easter Road. That will put off some of the 'soft' supporters, which non-OF clubs have many of in these situations.

I don't disagree that Hearts charge too much for games at Tynecastle these days. We've gone backwards in that regard. However, your point completely ignores the different contexts of the two situations. The clubs are right that it's poorly priced once all the factors are considered. Add in the current cost of fuel etc and you've got another reason.

You'd have a zinger of a point if the game was in Edinburgh and not on free-to-air tv. But it is neither of those things, and there's more than double the normal capacity.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I mean, we're in 'this one is close, this one is far away' territory here.

As stated previously, the supply issue here is completely different. A derby at Tynecastle has in the region of 7,000ish tickets available for public sale. The game is either behind a tv pay-wall or not on tv at all, and most potential ticket-buyers live relatively close by.

This game is in a much bigger venue, there are 50,000 tickets to sell, it will be live on free-to-air tv, and it's being played much further away from the normal audience than a game at Tynecastle or Easter Road. That will put off some of the 'soft' supporters, which non-OF clubs have many of in these situations.

I don't disagree that Hearts charge too much for games at Tynecastle these days. We've gone backwards in that regard. However, your point completely ignores the different contexts of the two situations. The clubs are right that it's poorly priced once all the factors are considered.

You'd have a zinger of a point if the game was in Edinburgh and not on free-to-air tv. But it is neither of those things, and there's more than double the normal capacity.

Can’t believe I have to share a stadium with fucking boring c***s like you in a month