Heart of Midlothian v Hibernian - Scottish Cup SF

Lyle Lanley

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Sad that you lads couldn't make it to two of the previous three Hampden meetings.

I appreciate "getting to Hampden" is a bit of a result for the likes of you.

When you have been there as many times as we have recently, the allure begins to fade.

hth

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

When you have been pumped there as many times as we have recently, the allure begins to fade.

hth

ftfy

24 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

When you have been there as many times as we have recently, the allure begins to fade.

hth

This season's Scottish Cup final will be our 3rd in 4 years, tyvm.

32 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

The Hibs bragging about getting to Hampden a lot is some going when all it does is highlight how often they choke there. 

So, losing in the earlier rounds of cup competitions is preferable?

Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

34 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

So, losing in the earlier rounds of cup competitions is preferable?

Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

A good cup run is great, but losing at Hampden is depressing. There's no "enjoying the day out" about it, losing semi's and finals is pish. Bragging about having watched your team get pumped on the big stage is odd. Hearts could be potentially going to our 3rd Scottish Cup final in 4, but I don't see that as anything to be excited about unless we actually win it.

31 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

A good cup run is great, but losing at Hampden is depressing. There's no "enjoying the day out" about it, losing semi's and finals is pish. Bragging about having watched your team get pumped on the big stage is odd. Hearts could be potentially going to our 3rd Scottish Cup final in 4, but I don't see that as anything to be excited about unless we actually win it.

Not sure who is bragging about being pumped on the big stage? The point was that Hibs have reached the semis of both cups on many occasions in the last 10 years.

I would call those good cup runs - close but no cigar etc - cant see any logical argument against it tbqhwy.

But your argument appears to deem that (unless you win the thing) "a good cup run" is getting no further than the QF because losing at the next stage is depressing.................

I find that quite strange.

6 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I mean clearly getting to semis and finals is much better than getting pumped in the second round, but it's going to be much more painful for whoever loses this game.  And little consolation  when Celtic pump us in the final

ftfy

Hibs have arguably made nowhere near enough of their remarkable cup fortune in the last decade or so. The favourable draws they've had over the years are crazy.

Aside from 2016 it's mad that they've failed to win anything.

2015 they famously ousted Alloa and Arbroath before a home quarter-final against Berwick. Still lost to Falkirk (easiest draw available) at Hampden, failing to reach the final despite never playing a top-flight side. Similarly, 2017 they avoided Rangers, Celtic, and Aberdeen to get a home quarter-final against Ayr. Aside from Hearts the only other team they beat to reach Hampden was Bonnyrigg. 2018's Scottish Cup semi run was home draws plus BSC Glasgow away. 2021 another kind draw, only one Premiership team before Hampden and they played them at home. Even this season, two lower-league draws with one at home before winning at Motherwell. That Motherwell win is one of their stand-out cup results of the last decade or so, and even then they played against ten men for 90 minutes.

They've made Hampden (or, semis or better, venues change, obviously) five times in the League Cup in this era, having seven home draws out of ten in knock-out games. I don't think they've ever had to beat an Old Firm side to get to Hampden in any of these, but it's possible I've forgotten one.

On one hand, it's good to be consistent in winnable games, and that's to their credit. Hearts fucked one up last year, of course. On the other hand, one cup win when presented with gifts of draws like this seems a poor return. 'Getting to Hampden' sounds impressive till you look at how they did it.

Basically, you've fucked it, lads.

Edited by VincentGuerin

13 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

The Hibs bragging about getting to Hampden a lot is some going when all it does is highlight how often they choke there. 

Who last won the Scottish Cup at Hampden?

Who last won the League Cup at Hampden?

Thanks for playing. 

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Hibs have arguably made nowhere near enough of their remarkable cup fortune in the last decade or so. The favourable draws they've had over the years are crazy.

Aside from 2016 it's mad that they've failed to win anything.

2015 they famously ousted Alloa and Arbroath before a home quarter-final against Berwick. Still lost to Falkirk (easiest draw available) at Hampden, failing to reach the final despite never playing a top-flight side. Similarly, 2017 they avoided Rangers, Celtic, and Aberdeen to get a home quarter-final against Ayr. Aside from Hearts the only other team they beat to reach Hampden was Bonnyrigg. 2018's Scottish Cup semi run was home draws plus BSC Glasgow away. 2021 another kind draw, only one Premiership team before Hampden and they played them at home. Even this season, two lower-league draws with one at home before winning at Motherwell. That Motherwell win is one of their stand-out cup results of the last decade or so, and even then they played against ten men for 90 minutes.

They've made Hampden five times in the League Cup in this era, having seven home draws out of ten in knock-out games. I don't think they've ever had to beat an Old Firm side to get to Hampden in any of these, but it's possible I've forgotten one.

On one hand, it's good to be consistent in winnable games, and that's to their credit. Hearts fucked one up last year, of course. On the other hand, one cup win when presented with gifts of draws like this seems a poor return. 'Getting to Hampden' sounds impressive till you look at how they did it.

Basically, you've fucked it, lads.

That's about six posts you've made trying to make a good fishing trip.

Give it up, nobody cares about your shite.  You lost the audience with being the first welt to mention how many fans will or wont be there. 

11 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I mean clearly getting to semis and finals is much better than getting pumped in the third round, but it's going to be much more painful for whoever loses this game.  And little consolation  when Celtic pump us in the final

Actually no.

2006 Semi hurt like feck because it was Gretna in the final.  Last Semi it was more than likely going to be Celtic and this time whoever loses know it's still a long shot for the winner to win the cup.  Hearts have more to lose considering the league position in terms of European qualification if we win the cup.  But also have the added bonus of win the Semi the group stages of one of the competitions are guaranteed.

So many twists and turns ahead.   I personally hope we instruct someone to take one for the team in the derby the week before and try take out Gordon :lol: 

43 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

That's about six posts you've made trying to make a good fishing trip.

Give it up, nobody cares about your shite.  You lost the audience with being the first welt to mention how many fans will or wont be there. 

Firstly, it's not a fishing trip. It's an information-laden post germane to the above discussion about the frequency of Hibs' trips to Hampden. Entirely on-topic. If you don't want to discuss it, fine. But keep your toys in the pram, please.

Secondly, translation: Don't post about things that make me raging.

image.jpeg.687955a6f3576db3ea3b679ea68949b8.jpeg

Edited by VincentGuerin

Perception and memory are funny things. Immediately after the draw I was speaking to a mate of mine who was quite worried because 'our cup record against Hibs is shite'.

Leaving aside the very football-fan-style worry that playing in one competition rather than another has a magical impact on the game, he's wrong. He's been tricked by that wee purple patch Hibs had post-2012. Our cup record against Hibs is very good, overall and recently. This century we've beaten Hibs in the cup at all three venues we've played them at, we're 5-3 ahead in the cup head-to-head, and we've won the last two ties. Hibs haven't beaten us anywhere other than Easter Road in the cup for decades. 1971 to be exact.

Edited by VincentGuerin