Scotland v Poland

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

My question around this would be, can Armstrong press as effectively and add a little more quality than Christie can?

I think yes, but there isn’t exactly much in it! 

I mean, basically any Invernessian footballer really.  

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

My question around this would be, can Armstrong press as effectively and add a little more quality than Christie can?

I still wonder if Stuart Armstrong playing on the left kind of takes something away from him. 

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Wot.

Christie was at the forefront of our pressing game and didn't give the Poland back line a minutes peace.  Hence we were able to win the ball back high up the park.  There's a reason he starts most Scotland games m3.

Christie stayed right it was Patterson getting in front off him and over lapping that was winning the ball and doing it on his own,don't remember Christie making one tackle and when he had any chances as stated before he skied it young Brown deserves a start at least he scores goals from those posistions in championship 

Yes there is a reason Christie starts cos Fraser is in the bad books but Fraser is a much better player

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2022 at 14:06, TheScarf said:

Christie was at the forefront of our pressing game and didn't give the Poland back line a minutes peace.  

I also noticed this.

I've been re-watching the Poland game and the way we pressed Poland made things difficult for them to build from the back. It took 20-30 minutes of Polish turnovers before Lukasz Skorupski began launching it into the randomiser.

Whenever Poland built up play through their RCB (Salamon) Ryan Christie was relentlessly pressuring him , while John McGinn tended to sit off their LCB (Jan Bednarek) and drop into midfield. Not sure why this was, maybe:

• Poland are better at breaking the press on their left side (which we saw) so we didn't want to be exposed to that.
  • We set a trap on the right. By encouraging Poland to play out their left side, we allowed John McGinn and Nathan Patterson to press together and regain the ball which we got some joy from in this game.
  • Lop-sided formation, I have wondered for a while if John McGinn's role requires him to position himself more between the forward and midfield lines on the right. 

image.png.e8f7160e4d6e8e819092d5118f8d9550.png

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I also noticed this.

I've been re-watching the Poland game and the way we pressed Poland made things difficult for them to build from the back. It took 20-30 minutes of Polish turnovers before Lukasz Skorupski began launching it into the randomiser.

Whenever Poland built up play through their RCB (Salamon) Ryan Christie was relentlessly pressuring him , while John McGinn tended to sit off their LCB (Jan Bednarek) and drop into midfield. Not sure why this was, maybe:

• Poland are better at breaking the press on their left side (which we saw) so we didn't want to be exposed to that.
  • We set a trap on the right. By encouraging Poland to play out their left side, we allowed John McGinn and Nathan Patterson to press together and regain the ball which we got some joy from in this game.
  • Lop-sided formation, I have wondered for a while if John McGinn's role requires him to position himself more between the forward and midfield lines on the right. 

image.png.e8f7160e4d6e8e819092d5118f8d9550.png

He's a pressing machine.  People love to slag him off because he takes some wild potshots sometimes, but he's a crucial player for Scotland.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He's a pressing machine.  People love to slag him off because he takes some wild potshots sometimes, but he's a crucial player for Scotland.

He does press a lot - watching it back it was so obvious he had been instructed to not to give the Polish right sided centre-back a second, maybe because Salamon is crap on the ball under pressure - who knows.

On 28/03/2022 at 14:18, No_Problemo said:

I haven't re-watched the Austria game yet, but I do vaguely recall Stuart Armstrong looking like he was almost in a front two with Che Adams after John McGinn was shifted back to the left side of midfield and so it will be interesting to compare that game with the Poland game and maybe can build up a view on this point.