Scotland v Poland

It is hardly bitter, it’s just a fact - no one really cares as it’s a friendly. We have also shown we are capable of seeing games out - it is not as if it’s a sign of a continuing problem. 
It is a fact, but it feels like a rather grubby outcome, especially in comparison to Wales getting their semi and winning it with spectacular goals from their megaplayer.

Definitely isn't a running issue tho as you say.

6 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Feeling a bit flat after the other night.

Firstly, it's kind of pish that there seems to be an attitude of adding an asterisk to the 1-1 draw with a bitter sounding "aye but really we should have won" - we really need to learn to see out a game like that.

More annoying though is the Wales result. Well done to them and all that, but the manner of their win that doesn't bode well for us (should we reach the final) - there was virtually nothing Austria could have done to stop either of Bale's goals. He just turned it on and that was that. If they had scrambled a victory without the aid of a superman type player I'd be much more comfortable about (potentially) facing them. As it stands I fear a repeat of the 2012 game down there.

I don't think Danny Fox is getting back in the team

7 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Feeling a bit flat after the other night.

Firstly, it's kind of pish that there seems to be an attitude of adding an asterisk to the 1-1 draw with a bitter sounding "aye but really we should have won" - we really need to learn to see out a game like that.

More annoying though is the Wales result. Well done to them and all that, but the manner of their win that doesn't bode well for us (should we reach the final) - there was virtually nothing Austria could have done to stop either of Bale's goals. He just turned it on and that was that. If they had scrambled a victory without the aid of a superman type player I'd be much more comfortable about (potentially) facing them. As it stands I fear a repeat of the 2012 game down there.

I agree with what your saying but that’s just what you need to deal with when you go up against teams with a world class player. We could play a blinder and handle Bale for 89 minutes, and on the 90th he fires in a 30 yard screamer. It would have been the same if Lewandowski had played the other night, Modric has done it against us for Croatia, genuine world class players usually find a way and unfortunately we don’t have a genuine world class player, and Wales have one. 

I trust Clarke to come up with a system that will hopefully nullify Bales threat as much as possible, if he goes ahead and does similar to what he done against Austria then your right, there’s not much that can be done on the training ground to stop that. 

You'd probably have got decent money on Scotland lasting longer in the World Cup than Italy when they'd just won the Euros and we were sat fourth in our qualifying group. Well done (V)lads.

Papua New Guinea lasted longer than Italy too.

Went to Hampden but it reminded me within 5 minutes why I vowed years ago not to go to friendlies (club or country) again. They're always played in 2nd gear and the drama of the competitive game is not there. Not that should be a surprise. I think I overlooked it just to get inside a full Hampden.

Thought Greg Taylor was our least assured player by quite a bit. But let's be honest a fit Andy Robertson and KT is more than adequate there (but we lose him from three central defenders). And now we have Hickey too.

As for the SOD/Patterson debate, I've been less than impressed with him in his whole time at my club however in dark blue he is reasonably solid if not setting the heather alight. Patterson has certainly more flare and drive about him and appears to feel like he deserves to be there. SOD looks every time like he won a competition and is more concerned about making a mistake.

Centre half is our achilles heel at present, appreciate Hendry was on the bench and Cooper club are a shadow of last season but we could do with someone emerging, Souter moving to Govan makes his inclusion when fit a gimmie.

Midfield is made up of three very capable players and I wouldn't dabble with any of them. I'm also glad Gilmour is considered an immediate starter rather now.

Upfront, Che Adams does get about and with Dykes in theory can bully defences, especially if it is back to goal stuff. Haven't seen enough of Brown or Stewart but they both seem to be knocking them in for fun in the Championship.

11 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Upfront, Che Adams does get about and with Dykes in theory can bully defences, especially if it is back to goal stuff. Haven't seen enough of Brown or Stewart but they both seem to be knocking them in for fun in the Championship.

Since when?

Stewart has 23 for Sunderland this season no?

I assumed Brown was too as that’s why he got in the squad in November when Tony Watt was banging them in for Motherwell at the time. I stand corrected 15 from 73 appearances for Stoke. 

5 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Stewart has 23 for Sunderland this season no?

I assumed Brown was too as that’s why he got in the squad in November when Tony Watt was banging them in for Motherwell at the time. I stand corrected 15 from 73 appearances for Stoke. 

Sunderland are in League 1 

I had a bit of time to re-watch the Poland game. Originally, I had thought Craig Gordon was mostly punting it long but on re-watching his distribution was balanced between big hoofs up towards the front three and passes to the outside centre back area.

I didn't know that Craig Gordon was a left footer either, but anyway - I put together a diagram to show the general area he made a pass from (Rectangle) and the fall of each pass (circle). One exception is when Gordon made a pass from higher up the pitch nearer the halfway line at 91.26.

91506110_CraigGordon.thumb.png.aba06621b7131818e8b1bbdc4f4f65c9.png

The red circles are instances where we lost possession to Poland - all punts, but we won the second balls 54% of the time after losing the initial punt possibly because we had good numbers in that area and they have been kept as blue. 

Edit: Craig Gordon did pass to Grant Hanley, but it was when Hanley filled the space on the right after Scott McTominay pushed higher up the pitch into midfield. He didn't play the ball into Gilmour or McGregor once or into the central area in front of him for some reason.

Edited by 2426255

On 25/03/2022 at 21:54, General dissaray said:

Hanley and Christie has worce games in my opinion Christie can't keep a shot down always seems to sky it these days 

Wot.

Christie was at the forefront of our pressing game and didn't give the Poland back line a minutes peace.  Hence we were able to win the ball back high up the park.  There's a reason he starts most Scotland games m3.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Wot.

Christie was at the forefront of our pressing game and didn't give the Poland back line a minutes peace.  Hence we were able to win the ball back high up the park.  There's a reason he starts most Scotland games m3.

My question around this would be, can Armstrong press as effectively and add a little more quality than Christie can?

I think yes, but there isn’t exactly much in it!