FIRE Discussion and Resources

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And endless Youtube videos.

And no doubt conferences.

And seminars.

And weekend "how to retire early" retreats at expensive countryside lodges.

All to say "Don't spend too much. Save as much as you can".

With an army of desperate fools supporting them by buying all this utter bollocks, I'm beginning to see how some of these "gurus" are able to retire early. 🤣

It reminds me of the old scam a few decades ago where a guy placed an advert in the papers telling people how to halve their petrol bill overnight using perfectly legal means. All you had to do was pay £10 for his advice book. At a time of increasing prices, people paid him in their hundreds of thousands. Three guesses what the scam was.....?

He sent them a single sheet of paper through the post saying "share your car journey with one other person and get them to pay half the petrol".

That one made the local news I remember.

There was another famous scheme which promised to show you how to become rich overnight. Just send £20.

The scam there was that he wrote to you again on a single sheet of paper telling you that to become rich, you simply place an advert in the papers promising to show people how to become rich if they paid you £20 and then simply sending them the same sheet you had been sent.

There's a lot of unbelievably rich people out there who've gained their wealth by emptying the pockets of the gormless and the gullible.

I'm still laughing at the idea that anyone needs a book to tell them to save money. And that people buy these books and recommend them earnestly to others. 🤣

Did you say "Grant Shapps?" 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-grant-shapps-getrichquick-guide-or-it-that-michael-green-s-8209978.html

@oaksoft the most I have spent one off on this hobby of mine is circa £400 on the founders lifetime subscription to the Retirement planning phase on https://meaningfulacademy.com As well as the material in the academy each month Pete Mathews provides a monthly online Zoom meeting where he answers questions from everyone subscribed using his knowledge and experience as a Chartered Financial Planner. I’ve learned so much in a short space of time.
As part of that founders fee the first year to access VoyantGo software was free. I got in at the start which is why it was much cheaper than it is now.

By choice I continue to pay an annual subscription of £120 to use VoyantGo as it provides me with access to software that allows me to plan ahead. https://www.planwithvoyant.com/content/en_US/products/advisergo.html

If I decide I don’t need it any more I will stop, but that’s unlikely as it’s very powerful financial planning software.

Compare that to what some people pay in fees to Financial advisors either by time or % fees on their assets under management. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

It's very good. Another year's VoyantGo and it will be a third level Thetan. 

I had been doing fine for years with my DIY approach. The excess £000’s I was spinning off every month allows me to buy financial planning software to make my life easier even though I love Excel. 😂 

What would you suggest I buy next year instead oh wise one? 😂 

17 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

@oaksoft the most I have spent one off on this hobby of mine is circa £400 on the founders lifetime subscription to the Retirement planning phase on https://meaningfulacademy.com As well as the material in the academy each month Pete Mathews provides a monthly online Zoom meeting where he answers questions from everyone subscribed using his knowledge and experience as a Chartered Financial Planner. I’ve learned so much in a short space of time.
As part of that founders fee the first year to access VoyantGo software was free. I got in at the start which is why it was much cheaper than it is now.

By choice I continue to pay an annual subscription of £120 to use VoyantGo as it provides me with access to software that allows me to plan ahead. https://www.planwithvoyant.com/content/en_US/products/advisergo.html

If I decide I don’t need it any more I will stop, but that’s unlikely as it’s very powerful financial planning software.

Compare that to what some people pay in fees to Financial advisors either by time or % fees on their assets under management. 

Nobody is as zealous as a convert

15 minutes ago, resk said:

I've bought a couple of books, tenner each or thereabouts.  Weekend retreats, lol.  

Yep i'm the same. Listen to some podcasts too, not sure if i'm the victim of some elaborate scam?

17 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I had been doing fine for years with my DIY approach. The excess £000’s I was spinning off every month allows me to buy financial planning software to make my life easier even though I love Excel. 😂 

What would you suggest I buy next year instead oh wise one? 😂 

If you enjoy financial planning, you batter on. It takes all sorts i suppose. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

If you enjoy financial planning, you batter on. It takes all sorts i suppose. 

Thank you. I’m in the business of making money by investing. It’s just another tool to assist my knowledge. I see you can’t offer an alternative to VoyantGo. 

I spend much much more every year on supporting my football team unlike some who are quick to comment on this subject.

One provides lasting wealth. The other lasting memories. Not always good. 😂 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

And endless Youtube videos.

And no doubt conferences.

And seminars.

And weekend "how to retire early" retreats at expensive countryside lodges.

All to say "Don't spend too much. Save as much as you can".

With an army of desperate fools supporting them by buying all this utter bollocks, I'm beginning to see how some of these "gurus" are able to retire early. 🤣

It reminds me of the old scam a few decades ago where a guy placed an advert in the papers telling people how to halve their petrol bill overnight using perfectly legal means. All you had to do was pay £10 for his advice book. At a time of increasing prices, people paid him in their hundreds of thousands. Three guesses what the scam was.....?

He sent them a single sheet of paper through the post saying "share your car journey with one other person and get them to pay half the petrol".

That one made the local news I remember.

There was another famous scheme which promised to show you how to become rich overnight. Just send £20.

The scam there was that he wrote to you again on a single sheet of paper telling you that to become rich, you simply place an advert in the papers promising to show people how to become rich if they paid you £20 and then simply sending them the same sheet you had been sent.

There's a lot of unbelievably rich people out there who've gained their wealth by emptying the pockets of the gormless and the gullible.

I'm still laughing at the idea that anyone needs a book to tell them to save money. And that people buy these books and recommend them earnestly to others. 🤣

The monevator.com blog doesn't do any of what you mention. It's a blog, about  one posting a week. Been running for years. Yes, you can comment on the posts.

The Mr Money Mustache is a blog by one guy, Pete Adeney.  He doesn't do any of the things you mention. It's been running since about 2011, as I recall. He hasn't wriiten a book. He recommends , for books, that you borrow them, for free, from your local library rather than buy them.   On that particular aspect, I try the library first. If I can't find it on their catalogue, I'll buy it on eBay, usually 1/2 or 2/3 rd the price of new.

The guy earned plenty, as a software engineer, but before that he'd always been thrifty. He saved a lot. He 'retired'  from having to do a job at around 40. What he does now is put quite a lot into his local community, and works for enjoyment on his own 'self-employed builder' projects.

Vicki Robin, the author of Your Money or Your Life is about 76 years old now. She was always interested in a non-consumerist lifesyle. She met a bloke who

shared those views. They wrote the book 30 years ago.  The book is a longtime bestseller . 

I see nothing hucksterish about these.

6 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Where can we buy it then? Post a link please.

He gave up the novel and started a couple of websites about investments and saving money. Some real gullible characters actually pay subscriptions, ironically boosting his retirement income. 

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And encourage a FIRE cult member to spend money unnecessarily?

Not on my watch Sainty.

That's before we get to the thorny problem of me essentially outing my real name on a football forum.

Don't get me wrong, it's tempting but I'm going to say No.

Nice try though. 🤣

Hiya David. Hiya pal

Screenshot_20220315-155540.jpg

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And encourage a FIRE cult member to spend money unnecessarily?

Not on my watch Sainty.

That's before we get to the thorny problem of me essentially outing my real name on a football forum.

Don't get me wrong, it's tempting but I'm going to say No.

Nice try though. 🤣

I don’t think anyone would really care what your real name is. We will still call you “That cnut Oaky” 😂.

All the best authors use pseudonyms anyway.

There have been other authors on this site who were happy to link to their books. You must write some shit stuff if you are so shy and retiring.

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You are not paying enough attention to that website if you believe that's true.

Introducing The MMM World Headquarters Building (mrmoneymustache.com)

You say "I see nothing hucksterish about these."

Really? You don't see exactly what he is doing here? 🧐

It's pretty obvious what he's up to TBH.

He's clearly, VERY clearly, building a cult from the ground up. He's playing a long game to avoid spooking people before they have emotionally bought into the cult.

It's a model which has proven very successful time and time and time again for decade after decade.

How can people still not see through this type of thing?

Aye right, yawn.

It's a co-working space that he , and some friends, built in their local area.