Raith Rovers v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

On 19/03/2022 at 22:32, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

69agpd.jpg

"Don't disturb your father, he's still furious about the football. He's been up there making memes since he got in..."

Edited by Estragon

Absolutely no luck yesterday. Losing MacDonald, then Berra, and then the sending off, which definitely turned the game.. Although as shite as the referee was, we really should have been able to see out the last 20 minutes. Up until the sending off we looked fairly comfortable, but after going down to 10 our heads seemed to go and it was just waiting for the equaliser. We couldn’t hold the ball up at all going forward so it was just trying to ride out wave after wave of attack. Which inevitably we couldn’t. Then losing another kind of summed up this season. Lost count of the amount of goals we’ve lost late on to cost us points. Still a lot of points on offer, but that felt like a season defining result. If MacDonald is out for any length of time then that’s a huge blow. Probably a bit unfair on Thomson as he was just on, but the first ICT goal showed what a loss not having a commanding keeper is. 

Edited by roverthemoon

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

The comparison with O'Hare came to my mind too.

That was the only time I've ever come away from a game with any actual doubt in my mind as to whether it had been refereed in good faith.

The Williamson sending off is just laughable. The first one is a collision of heads, which he was so hurt from he had to change his shirt, and the second he gets shoved over off the ball, then shoved in the chest! Benedictus red is impossible to really tell, but it certainly isn’t two footed and it doesn’t look particularly high. Broadfoot is up within a second to have him by the neck, so I’m going to hazard a  guess it wasn’t that bad. Broadfoot’s antics very clearly have an impact on the ref’s decision making. To have both of those decisions go against you, as well as having MacDonald stretchered off and Berra limp off injured after being hurt by his own player really paints a picture of games v Inverness over the last 20 odd years. 

Hard to even know where to start after watching the highlights. 

Benedictus definitely lunges in, although the severity is obscured by another player. From what you can see it doesn't look very much different from the foul Samuels was booked for a few minutes later. 

The Broadfoot reaction looks very similar to the Davidson reaction in the game last season.

Only the ref will know how he saw the above incidents differently. 

The Williamson red card is an utter joke. The first yellow still looks like it could easily be a foul to us while he clearly did nothing wrong for the second booking. Absolutely disgraceful stuff. 

The first Chalmers goal, I think Williamson gets across to put a challenge in if he doesn't trip over someone's foot while running across. 

The second was poor from us. Two players were there to close him down and should have got a block in. It still looks like a foul on Varian in the build up though. 

I'd also forgotten about the goal kick he gave after Poplatnik's deflected shot miraculously looped over the bar :lol:

43 minutes ago, Yoss said:

That was the only time I've ever come away from a game with any actual doubt in my mind as to whether it had been refereed in good faith.

Was that the game under Nicholl in the 90s? Possibly against Airdrie in the 2nd promotion season?

On the Bene sending off. Someone had caught him a sore one during a previous Rovers attack, just prior to his sending off. Bene was crumpled on the ground and I thought the ref was just playing advantage and would come back and deal with the ICT player. Of course he didn’t because he’s hopeless. Wouldn’t surprise me if Bene was looking to get the player that done him.

Benedictus’ challenge is a clear red. The other red is a poor decision. Hopefully our luck is starting to change. It’s usually our players going off injured in every game. 

Worst refereeing performance I can recall at Starks was Andrew Waddell back in the ‘90s in a game against Clydebank. That yesterday was right up there, though. He definitely makes the top 10.

Aye, because of the angle you don't get a great look at either Bene's challenge or Broadfoot's reaction. 

If you wanted to find a justification for Benedictus you could maybe argue that although he was off the ground and lunging he'd grounded his foot and pointed his toe (ie, not studs up) before he made contact with Broadfoot, but I'm not convinced. As soon as he overplayed the ball I knew exactly what was coming. It's not malicious, but it's not the first time he's dived into a challenge in that manner. At the very, very least he's asked the referee to make a decision. 

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Benedictus’ challenge is a clear red. The other red is a poor decision. Hopefully our luck is starting to change. It’s usually our players going off injured in every game. 

It’s not really “a clear red” though, is it? Unless you’ve developed the ability to see through bodies, you’ve as much idea as me. I am, however, struggling to see the difference between Samuels yellow and Benedictus red. It looks like the exact same type of challenge - overrun the ball and lunge in.

Re, Bene's red card. It was a stupid challenge and looked at best reckless. Having said that the response of the ICT players is right out of the Alec Fergusson play book, same as Davo's red last season, the allegedly fouled player's reaction along with 4 or 5 of his mated going mental fools the ref into thinking its worse than it actually is and out comes a red card.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s not really “a clear red” though, is it? Unless you’ve developed the ability to see through bodies, you’ve as much idea as me. I am, however, struggling to see the difference between Samuels yellow and Benedictus red. It looks like the exact same type of challenge - overrun the ball and lunge in.

I had a really good angle on the tackle at the time and wasn't surprised to see the red card come out.

But aye, Samuels...