Pars vs Morton #footballforafiver

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

It took you guys a few weeks to realise Grant is an arrogant, dim-witted cock who had already all but sunk your season.

Did it? The vast majority of fans on here saw his appointment for the disaster it turned out to be the moment it happened. 

His appointment killed season ticket sales. Not sure which Pars fans in general thought we would steamroll teams or were even behind Grant. Folk were booing him from the second league game of the season.

I didn't think it would turn out to be quite the "disaster" it has, I was willing to give the guy a chance to prove himself but I admit I did have my doubts after the league cup groups finished that we would challenge for the title but there's no way I foresaw us being where we are now.

I'm sure the experts "called it" early, as they do with pretty much everything. Throw enough shite at a wall...........

Edited by da_no_1

People looked at the forward options plus Dorrans and Thomas and assumed, with some justification, you’d go right through some of the teams in this league.
No one bothered much about the issues at the back or centre-mid, but problems were clear from day one (at Cappielow); I recall saying the way Grant had set up was arrogant and ridiculous… and got pelters from Pars fans righteously convinced their team would in fact roll teams over with ease. Instead, you were over-run for 45 minutes by Gus MacPherson’s Morton (just let that sink in…).
It took you guys a few weeks to realise Grant is an arrogant, dim-witted cock who had already all but sunk your season.
That last part just isn't true at all [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

3 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

Has Wilson played much for Morton?

Yeah he’s played a fair few games took him a while to settle in struggled at the start a lot of Morton fans taking a right disliking to him but I can definitely tell there’s a good player in him ( few fans may disagree) but after his Partick performance last week I can see it, hopefully that’s him kicking on to becoming a decent player for the ton let’s not jinx it though…..

Edited by Cowshed

Think his first few performances were quite rusty and you could tell he had been out for awhile/ lacking match fitness but hes gradually improved and you can tell there is a player there. Certainly add the physicality we didn't previously have in there.

It took Reilly a good couple of months to get going after being out and I think Wilson will be the same.

If we offer him a new deal,  I think a full pre season will really help him kick on.

I'd be happy for him to stay.

To all the Dunfermline supporters who definitely knew you were going down from the off, I salute you...

Some will have cottoned on quicker than others, but it's a total history re-write to suggest that there wasn't a broad view, among Dunfermline fans and supporters of other teams, that you were likely to do well, Grant or no Grant. It very quickly became clear that wasn't going to happen, but not from the off.

I'm guessing a forensic analysis of the predictions thread will prove it either way (or the match threads in the first few weeks), but, to be honest, I can't be arsed.

33 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

To all the Dunfermline supporters who definitely knew you were going down from the off, I salute you...

Some will have cottoned on quicker than others, but it's a total history re-write to suggest that there wasn't a broad view, among Dunfermline fans and supporters of other teams, that you were likely to do well, Grant or no Grant. It very quickly became clear that wasn't going to happen, but not from the off.

I'm guessing a forensic analysis of the predictions thread will prove it either way (or the match threads in the first few weeks), but, to be honest, I can't be arsed.

I know they were just league cup pre season friendly style matches but I certainly thought we were going to do well in spite of Grant after those games. Seemed like an extremely strong forward line for this level. 

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

My recollection was that no fans were excited about the appointment, but willing to give a chance. From my point of view i thought with the squad we had, if we recruited right, we would probably be finishing around 3rd-5th. I didnt think Grant would be so poor as to take the team backwards, as he struck me as maybe being a manager who would make us a tougher team to play against. Some decent central midfielders, a better goalie at least, and we'd do this. But i didnt think he would have enough to finish any better than what Crawford achieved....on this point i was right.

Even the papers and fan sites around the start of the season thought the pars would be killie's closest challengers. In retrospect it turned out to be a disaster, poor management, recruitment, shape. Poor man management - Ross Graham became a lost soul and is now doing well in the premier league. Watson disrespected the club, that awful statement after the QOS game. Everything just spiralled after that. Hughes has a mammoth task, he has done ok, but his failure to get enough of the right players in and play to our strengths with the attacking players we have are going to be his downfall i think.

I think the general feeling was we would probably do no worse than the previous season, and if we did do better it would be on the strength of the attacking group of O'Hara, Todorov, Wighton, Kennedy, Thomas and Dow, the bulk of which was Crawfords signings, and Todorov and Kennedy were proven in the championship.

Online chat only goes so far,  anyone who was at our opening league home games it was clear grant had little support.

And if we want to talk online chat, here's the reaction to the partick game on our club thread.  walking down the halbeath road

Very little support for him there,  the only ones who seemed to want grant were in our board room.

Edited by parsforlife

Big surprise for me is lack of impact from Todorov.

For ICT he seemed to score with ease against us last season.

See not in top scoring charts, what role do you play him and is he even in the starting line up?

Also see Dunfermline have the lowest number of conceded fouls but are top for yellow cards how come?

Wilson has had a lot of stick so far and while I understand where those giving it are coming from, I also completely disagree with it. It's true that he's not been good enough in possession, but by and large he's done the defensive job he's there to do and we've conceded fewer goals with him in the team.

His introduction to the starting XI has also coincided with scoring fewer goals, but that and his undeniable struggles in possession will take care of themselves when we get the balance in midfield personnel right. He should be able to do nothing in possession but the water carrier job of playing a five yard pass to someone who can move us up the park, rather than finding himself needing to spray 20 yard passes around or try to run at the opposition, neither of which are his game.

I made the same points before the Partick game, but the change after we made the subs that day only solidifies my view that if we're playing a back three, the midfield three has to be Wilson, Lyon and McGrattan. If there's an intention of either playing Wilson and Jacobs together or both Blues and Oliver coming back into the team, then we need to go to a back four to accommodate that.

Big surprise for me is lack of impact from Todorov.
For ICT he seemed to score with ease against us last season.
See not in top scoring charts, what role do you play him and is he even in the starting line up?
Also see Dunfermline have the lowest number of conceded fouls but are top for yellow cards how come?
Hardly played, Hughes doesn't fancy him one bit it seems.

Todorov showed very little when he played earlier in the season but I am surprised that he’s essentially been bombed out by Hughes. I’d have been trying anything at this stage.

Everyone knew Grant appointment was a disaster but doubt anyone thought pre-season that relegation was a realistic possibility even with that doughnut in the dugout.

Was a bit shocked by Grant’s appointment but still wanted him to do well. Thought he could be one of those nippy types you hate facing but like having on your side. It was soon clear he was out of his depth and I thought his team easily looked the equal of our 7th place in League One mob. 

The Grant appointment was obviously a terrible one, but I'd be surprised if anyone knew we were going down that early in the season, I thought the point at Cappielow was bad in the context of us going for the title christ. 

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

if we're playing a back three, the midfield three has to be Wilson, Lyon and McGrattan. If there's an intention of either playing Wilson and Jacobs together or both Blues and Oliver coming back into the team, then we need to go to a back four to accommodate that.

There's a wee bit missing in your logic, tho... while it's true that Blues and Oliver together can leave us too open, surely our best options are Wilson, Lyon, plus one of those two, depending on the circumstances.

McGrattan may well develop into a decent player for us, but at this point in time I'd be amazed if Imrie puts him in front of Blues or Oliver.

If everybody's fit, having Blues or Oliver plus McGrattan on the bench is probably what most of us thought we'd be seeing right from the start of the season (add Jacobs to that now since Wilson's come in).

And if Imrie does go to a back four next season (he's stated quite clearly that's his preferred set-up), Oliver would be the one to fall down (out?) of the pecking order... but very probably not to be replaced by McGrattan or Blues in the starting eleven: it's a clear priority for an upgrade.

[For tomorrow night, obviously, Oliver starts if fit.]