Pars vs Morton #footballforafiver

8 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Glass half-empty eh?

Why not build on the positive (your open play tonight) and cut out the negative.....that being your failure to capitalise on open-play domination to get to the by-line and whip in the cross instead of tippy-tap fitba across the 18yard line?

Just my thoughts.

Because we won't build on it, loads more side to side passing on the way. 

Sorry Dunfermline fans but I see far too many similarities to your team to our 2015-16 side that went down:
  • Start the Season with a shit manager (Grant) and then swap for a bampot (Yogi) in denial
  • Fans having a (rightful) go at the manager after getting humped by the club in the league with the smallest budget
  • Lots of pressure in games without being to convert into goals and wins
  • Not getting the break of the ball or a bit of luck (corners being awarded as goal kicks)
  • A very shite Centre Backing pairing - Coll fucking Donaldson being the common denominator 
  • A goalkeeper that's prone to occasional howler
  • Finding new and exciting ways to lose football matches.
  • Having a special "our season starts now" deal to get a big crowd in only to not capitalise on it.
Nothing against the Pars, but can't see yous escaping this.

Like others, I agree with most of this. But Donaldson has been our only defender that hasn’t been disappointing, he’s actually been really good for us. Having a look at your squad thoigh, it’s one that was probably seen as ‘too good to go down’ particularly pre-season and when Mixu got appointed.

I do think we’ll go down and genuinely agree with a lot of what you’re saying here. I hope it doesn’t take us quite as long to get back up though! But I do think League One is going to be very strong next year and we’re probably likely to underestimate it.

When the interviewer asked Imrie something about their possession and getting their point, Imrie shook his head and said "They can have all the possession they want but they need to put the ball in the net" - my wife looked up and said "He's a Scottish version of Sean Dyche". 

Sitting on a lead is a worrying tactic (which was a standard for us in the early 90s) and I found myself thinking "We can't keep conceding these corners". Looked like Robbie came off his post for the equaliser. Ended up holding on for a point after neatly nicking all three.

At least that daft touchline ban is over.

8 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

When the interviewer asked Imrie something about their possession and getting their point, Imrie shook his head and said "They can have all the possession they want but they need to put the ball in the net" - my wife looked up and said "He's a Scottish version of Sean Dyche". 

Sitting on a lead is a worrying tactic (which was a standard for us in the early 90s) and I found myself thinking "We can't keep conceding these corners". Looked like Robbie came off his post for the equaliser. Ended up holding on for a point after neatly nicking all three.

At least that daft touchline ban is over.

Muirhead did move off the post to attack the ball and if he hadn't he might have dealt with it, but the main problem was Jacobs letting his man get a yard on him. When the back three have defended that well in an otherwise shite performance it's really disappointing to concede through such a basic error at a set piece.

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

What did you want the team to do exactly, with Ugwu and Oliver chasing nothing and so effectively defending with 9 men for most of the game?

This 'sitting on a lead' take is just utter nonsense in any game. If the opponent has more of the ball - and your defence contains as slow a centre back as Lithgow - then you should defend deep or else get picked apart by passes behind your defensive line. It's the only sensible tactic and the team was very well organised to do so.

The actual issue (beyond the failure to control possession) was that we didn't produce an out ball in the second half to relieve pressure or to threaten on the counter attack. I think bringing Russell on as a left midfielder would've been a better option in hindsight than the straight swaps that we made. 

27 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Donaldson has been absolutely fine with us.

When was the last time we beat Morton? Think maybe the season Nisbet single-handedly ruined teams in this league?

1-0 at East End in March last year, Gus MacPherson’s first game in charge. A 1-0 defeat under that fucking donkey, how original.

Prior to that it was 3-1 in October 2019, Nisbet double and Kiltie.

Dunfermline beating Morton isn't particularly rare. We've just beaten you more often than not over the last 10 years or so and rather than any bogey team situation it's because over that decade we have generally been better than you.

1-0 at East End in March last year, Gus MacPherson’s first game in charge. A 1-0 defeat under that fucking donkey, how original.
Prior to that it was 3-1 in October 2019, Nisbet double and Kiltie.
Dunfermline beating Morton isn't particularly rare. We've just beaten you more often than not over the last 10 years or so and rather than any bogey team situation it's because over that decade we have generally been better than you.
Was December 2019 bud.

On 18/03/2022 at 22:48, TONTROOPER said:

Glass half-empty eh?

Why not build on the positive (your open play tonight) and cut out the negative.....that being your failure to capitalise on open-play domination to get to the by-line and whip in the cross instead of tippy-tap fitba across the 18yard line?

Just my thoughts.

Called it.