Pars vs Morton #footballforafiver

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I was at that game against Dundee United. Think it's the most full East End has been since becoming all seater. Folk, including some season ticket holders, were locked out. Was a good game too! We won 2-1 (McCulloch and Tod I believe, after Mathie opened the scoring).

At that time we still had a decent support, although ended up going down that season (first game of the next season was a pumping of Inverness at home with a crowd near 5000). That United game was in Novbember and was only our second win in the league! We only won four league games all season. Loads of draws (16 of them!).

Our support has been dropping for a while now. COVID had an effect on season ticket sales, but the appointment of Grant had an even bigger one. Seemingly sales were coming along at a decent pace, albeit a bit slower than usual, but when he was announced the sales pretty much stopped. Many of those fans probably won't be back. 

No surprise that folk won't be going to a game on a Friday night that is free on TV, especially when we are terrible. The club have done a good job in promoting this, but it's a losing battle. The Ayr game, our last on home game on a Saturday, would have been better to do this for, especially since it could be a massive game.

The Inverness game from 1999? That was my first ever game. 

5 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Have I missed some sort of covid outbreak/injury crisis at Morton? Morton win is 2/1, Pars are 5/4.

9/2 for Gary Oliver to score and Morton to win. If he plays, I think we all know that’s almost certain to happen. Actually just looked up the stats and it’s mental. Overall, he has 27 goals in 169 games for Morton. 11 of those have come in 15 starts against us.

You'll have people who don't know the league just looking at the names involved, looking at us as the home team and putting us in accumulators, bookies follow the money. 

Some teams suit playing certain styles, and Morton will absolutely love playing against us, it wouldn't shock me at all if they put 3/4 past us. The only glimmer I'm clinging to, which is quite illogical, is that Hughes will try appeal to the players inner pride and Morton absolutely embarrassed them the last game, and we might get a draw/sneak a shocking win. 

Morton fans must be buzzing with the Imrie appointment though, he's been miraculous. 

25 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Part of the attraction, IIRC, was that it was our first live TV game under the lights in that era. Simpler times.

Aye, true enough. Good times too. I went with my older brother and we got the bus back home to Saline after. Great times for the 14 year old me.

20 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Edinho's debut. Did an overhead clearance at one point, to which Paton said " we'll knock that out of him".

Mind the hype when we announced we'd signed a Brazilian? Fair to say reality didn't quite match said hype!

16 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think McCulloch's goal was a low piledriver of a free kick? I was quite lucky to get in as I know a few season ticket holders were locked out. 

Aye, that's right, great goal. He signed for Dundee United a couple of months after I think, for a big fee (around £300k if I recall!). Really promising player who was great for us (thus big fee) but it didn't seem to work out for him after he left.

13 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Club just emailed me with supporter information for tomorrow’s 3pm kick off vs Morton.

Amateur hour nonsense.

You should turn up tomorrow at 3pm and then contact the press to get a comedy hard luck story printed.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The Inverness game from 1999? That was my first ever game. 

Indeed! Was the first game of the 99/00 season and our first ever game against Inverness. We absolutely smashed then 4-0, going on quite a few more, with Andy Smith, Brian Reid, Scott Thomson and Stewart Petrie scoring. I mind the next time we played them at East End we scored really late on (Tod) for a narrow 1-0, much to the displeasure of the fans. We beat them three times that season, with one draw (1-1, Hampshire), which was our first ever visit to Inverness. I was at that one too, as we had a family trip to Inverness for some reason. Me and the old man went to the game and my mum and younger brother fannies about the shops. We had a Burger King for lunch and I took off my coat to reveal the awesome Pars keeper top I was wearing underneath (the classic yellow/green one Westie wore). My old man told me to cover it up in case of trouble. Not sure what he expected to happen in a Burger King in Inverness in 1999. It must have been his away game since he was a lad when he used to go watch Partick and Clydebank.

Look at the friendly results for 99/00! I imagine the results would be somewhat different these days...

13/07/99    Ross County    A    1 - 0    Coyle (89)
15/07/99    Nairn County    A    8 - 0    Petrie (2), Squires (7, 42), Nish (10, 30, 55), Graham (16), McGroarty (47)
17/07/99    Cardiff City    H    6 - 1    Smith (18), Coyle (24), Petrie (41), Thomson (63), Reid (72), OG (Ekhardt 90)
20/07/99    Brechin City    A    1 - 1    Graham (87)
21/07/99    Wigan Athletic    H    2 - 1    Smith (39), Nish (85)
24/07/99    Preston North End    H    3 - 0    Smith (19), Coyle (29), Nish (90)
02/08/99    Forfar Athletic    A    6 - 1    Smith (45, 62, 71), May (51), Coyle (70, 79)

Looking at the ticketing site, there’s certainly a lot more tickets sold than usual. Fair play, the £5 tickets seems to have had the desired effect in terms of ticket sales. Means absolutely nothing if the team don’t win though.

11 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Looking at the ticketing site, there’s certainly a lot more tickets sold than usual. Fair play, the £5 tickets seems to have had the desired effect in terms of ticket sales. Means absolutely nothing if the team don’t win though.

Encouraging to hear.

Dunfermline have obviously been mung and especially so against us but I suppose you'll be due something off us eventually. Results are still pretty good for us but we definitely haven't played all that well in the last month. We saw what happens on an off day in Dumfries so will need to be very guarded or it could happen again.

I'm thinking a dull 0-0 or 1-1 tonight but we'll see.

27 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I'm thinking a dull 0-0 or 1-1 tonight but we'll see.

Most of our games are pretty dull* so that could well happen. 

*Unless we're getting skelped by Morton in which case I'm sure the ton fans find it great viewing. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

You'll have people who don't know the league just looking at the names involved, looking at us as the home team and putting us in accumulators, bookies follow the money. 

Some teams suit playing certain styles, and Morton will absolutely love playing against us, it wouldn't shock me at all if they put 3/4 past us. The only glimmer I'm clinging to, which is quite illogical, is that Hughes will try appeal to the players inner pride and Morton absolutely embarrassed them the last game, and we might get a draw/sneak a shocking win. 

Morton fans must be buzzing with the Imrie appointment though, he's been miraculous. 

If I was betting (I'm not), I'd be looking at the draw, because a. I'd want better than 2/1 for Morton to win away; and b. I'd want a lot better than 5/4 for Dunfermline to win any game.

All looks a bit too obvious to think Morton will just come out and press an over-playing Hughes team into errors (but here's hoping), particularly because this feels like both a last stand and a big opportunity for Dunfermline, with the other three teams in the bottom five all away tomorrow; if you're going to make a real fight of it, it surely has to happen tonight...

Wildly unpredictable, despite how bad Dunfermline have been.

Regardless of the outcome, yes, Imrie's appointment has been a breath of fresh air. I think most Morton fans already have total confidence he'll use whatever budget he gets to maximum effect next season; that's absolutely massive at this (or maybe any) level of football.

I know Todd did better than expected vs Killie but actively picking him ahead of Comrie is staggering tbh. Have to assume there’s an injury concern.

DT23 starting is a positive.

Must win game IMO. Crowd will be swelled a little by cheaper tickets and hopefully the team put in a much improved performance.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Ehhh... Whit. 

Lewis Martin not in the squad either, although with Mehmet back it means no emergency loan in goals. 

Aw fucking hell. Disaster.

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

No Ugwu which is good, Oliver is there which is bad. 

No U

He's listed as starting. Number 11.

On paper, Thomas, Polworth and Lawless in behind O’Hara should be an excellent attacking threat. 1 striker against a team playing a back 5 is unnecessarily negative for a must win though.

Just can’t get over Yogi dropping Comrie to the bench, just to play Todd at RB. But some of our fans will still claim Yogi can’t get any of the blame…