Pars vs Morton #footballforafiver

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The Grant appointment was obviously a terrible one, but I'd be surprised if anyone knew we were going down that early in the season, I thought the point at Cappielow was bad in the context of us going for the title christ. 

So when did you realise was  it when  we pumped you 3 1 or was it 5 0 😂

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

There's a wee bit missing in your logic, tho... while it's true that Blues and Oliver together can leave us too open, surely our best options are Wilson, Lyon, plus one of those two, depending on the circumstances.

McGrattan may well develop into a decent player for us, but at this point in time I'd be amazed if Imrie puts him in front of Blues or Oliver.

Agreed: McGrattan is not ahead of either in the pecking order and the first goal last Saturday explains why. While McGrattan was needed to give runs from midfield to support the forwards, he actually made a mess of a really good chance by hitting it straight down the middle and off the keeper. He did very well to then keep the ball alive and move it on for Reilly to eventually finish, but Oliver or Blues have more composure finishing in those situations. 

I'd be looking for an upgrade next season and sending him on loan somewhere to learn his trade for a season - and similar should be in place for King. 

4 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

There's a wee bit missing in your logic, tho... while it's true that Blues and Oliver together can leave us too open, surely our best options are Wilson, Lyon, plus one of those two, depending on the circumstances.

McGrattan may well develop into a decent player for us, but at this point in time I'd be amazed if Imrie puts him in front of Blues or Oliver.

If everybody's fit, having Blues or Oliver plus McGrattan on the bench is probably what most of us thought we'd be seeing right from the start of the season (add Jacobs to that now since Wilson's come in).

And if Imrie does go to a back four next season (he's stated quite clearly that's his preferred set-up), Oliver would be the one to fall down (out?) of the pecking order... but very probably not to be replaced by McGrattan or Blues in the starting eleven: it's a clear priority for an upgrade.

[For tomorrow night, obviously, Oliver starts if fit.]

I'd say it should generally be one of McGrattan, Oliver and Blues yeah. Wilson (with Jacobs as cover for him) and Lyon are the nailed on starters then one of other three and that third one is changeable, but Oliver's bizarre hex over Dunfermline aside I would personally have McGrattan at the top of that pecking order just now.

Oliver's form has been in decline for weeks while the one time we saw a Wilson/Lyon/Blues midfield at Hamilton the intensity of the pressing was miles off. That's maybe a coincidence but I wonder if having a naturally more attacking player than Blues holding a higher position will help with the pressing in general, even if that player isn't as hard working as him. Maybe harsh on Blues who hasn't had anything like the dip in form Oliver has, but I think McGrattan has shown enough in his rare performances to be deserving of a shot.

I completely understand anyone thinking otherwise at this stage of the season ahead of two massive games, right enough. I would also agree on it being an obvious area to upgrade for next season.

Ticket sales look very poor, as expected, despite it being a fiver. I've chose to go for a lovely succulent meal ahead of this trash. I suspect there are a lot like me tonight. 

Can't remember what journo it was on Twitter, but when the fiver thing was announced, he talked about the same thing back in the 90s where we got about 12k for a game against Dundee United and how this could be the same. I was lambasted for suggesting it would probably get about 1000 more at best ie 4500 in total. I don't even think that's going to happen looking at it. 

Not being a crowdwank, just highlighting how much the board have cunted it this season. It's absolutely disgraceful in all honesty. Second biggest budget in the league, plenty to be challenging Killie, and we have absolutely, monumentally fucked it. 

Anyway, if Gary Oliver is playing then this will be about 3-0 to Morton with him scoring a double. 

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Ticket sales look very poor, as expected, despite it being a fiver. I've chose to go for a lovely succulent meal ahead of this trash. I suspect there are a lot like me tonight. 

Can't remember what journo it was on Twitter, but when the fiver thing was announced, he talked about the same thing back in the 90s where we got about 12k for a game against Dundee United and how this could be the same. I was lambasted for suggesting it would probably get about 1000 more at best ie 4500 in total. I don't even think that's going to happen looking at it. 

Not being a crowdwank, just highlighting how much the board have cunted it this season. It's absolutely disgraceful in all honesty. Second biggest budget in the league, plenty to be challenging Killie, and we have absolutely, monumentally fucked it. 

Anyway, if Gary Oliver is playing then this will be about 3-0 to Morton with him scoring a double. 

Don't think you were lambasted on here? 

I think if anything the two games we've had since the fiver initiative was announced will be a factor. If we'd beaten Hamilton and Arbroath we might have had a few hundred more on the gate. Not that it's a bad initiative though, anything to try get people to come especially during this horrific season.

Won't be watching either, had a thing planned with the missus since last year tonight.

I'm bringing along two Hibs fans and a Hearts fan tonight, I don't think the gate will be substantially better than usual however it should be better than what it would have been if it was full price.

Have I missed some sort of covid outbreak/injury crisis at Morton? Morton win is 2/1, Pars are 5/4.

9/2 for Gary Oliver to score and Morton to win. If he plays, I think we all know that’s almost certain to happen. Actually just looked up the stats and it’s mental. Overall, he has 27 goals in 169 games for Morton. 11 of those have come in 15 starts against us.

42 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I was at that game against Dundee United. Think it's the most full East End has been since becoming all seater. Folk, including some season ticket holders, were locked out. Was a good game too! We won 2-1 (McCulloch and Tod I believe, after Mathie opened the scoring).

At that time we still had a decent support, although ended up going down that season (first game of the next season was a pumping of Inverness at home with a crowd near 5000). That United game was in Novbember and was only our second win in the league! We only won four league games all season. Loads of draws (16 of them!).

Our support has been dropping for a while now. COVID had an effect on season ticket sales, but the appointment of Grant had an even bigger one. Seemingly sales were coming along at a decent pace, albeit a bit slower than usual, but when he was announced the sales pretty much stopped. Many of those fans probably won't be back. 

No surprise that folk won't be going to a game on a Friday night that is free on TV, especially when we are terrible. The club have done a good job in promoting this, but it's a losing battle. The Ayr game, our last on home game on a Saturday, would have been better to do this for, especially since it could be a massive game.

Presumably the club's logic is that the ST sales are baked in and so no sane person would pay full price for it. The potential loss compared to the usual price is therefore not very high at all.

If it had been the old Friday night 7:05 or even a 7:30 kickoff then I'd have made the trip at a fiver, but probably not at £20. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

just highlighting how much the board have cunted it this season. It's absolutely disgraceful in all honesty. Second biggest budget in the league, plenty to be challenging Killie, and we have absolutely, monumentally fucked it. 

You should really try & mention this a lot more & chuck in a few more naughty words as well, like in every post you make. Ta 

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I was at that game against Dundee United. Think it's the most full East End has been since becoming all seater. Folk, including some season ticket holders, were locked out. Was a good game too! We won 2-1 (McCulloch and Tod I believe, after Mathie opened the scoring).

At that time we still had a decent support, although ended up going down that season (first game of the next season was a pumping of Inverness at home with a crowd near 5000). That United game was in Novbember and was only our second win in the league! We only won four league games all season. Loads of draws (16 of them!).

Our support has been dropping for a while now. COVID had an effect on season ticket sales, but the appointment of Grant had an even bigger one. Seemingly sales were coming along at a decent pace, albeit a bit slower than usual, but when he was announced the sales pretty much stopped. Many of those fans probably won't be back. 

No surprise that folk won't be going to a game on a Friday night that is free on TV, especially when we are terrible. The club have done a good job in promoting this, but it's a losing battle. The Ayr game, our last on home game on a Saturday, would have been better to do this for, especially since it could be a massive game.

Part of the attraction, IIRC, was that it was our first live TV game under the lights in that era. Simpler times.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Edinho's debut. Did an overhead clearance at one point, to which Paton said " we'll knock that out of him".

Love a Bert story to warm the cockles. Remember his first few games ended in defeat but had been very entertaining. He needed the win and sent Ray Sharp out to get The Cage excited. Sharpy single-handedly filled the Queen Margaret’s A&E with Dianonds within five minutes before retiring to his well-earned early bath.