Scotland's worst

12 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

Alpinos ?

Google Streetview says that’s the place. Whether it was Alpinos back then I cannot recall. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
13 hours ago, alta-pete said:
My first solo inspection (near 30 years ago) as a Surveyor was a chip shop on Cross Arthurlie Street in Barrhead. Doing the job I, of course, had to get behind the counter and into the back shop food storage areas.
Genuinely, I have not had a fish supper since. 

Detailed details please

As a smart young professional my leather soled shoes were slipping about on the greasy terracotta tiled floor. Accumulated greasy gunk in the grout and in the corners. Old fashioned steel dustbins, some filled with peeled and chipped potatoes in salted water, some just to the brim with chip fat. Trays of tepid fish smelling like it had been a couple of days since they’d left Peterhead. Trays of scrawny looking chooks. More fat, rubbish and empty containers out back at the bins. And don’t start me on the fine specimens of humanity that staffed the place and clearly lived on their fayre every day of every week… In fact everything was coated with a layer of grease.

Giving me the grue right now.  

I moved to Cambuslang from the west end, and TBH the only real downside of living in leafy suburbia is the limited choice of takeaways in comparison. The main street has four Chinese (two proper old-school and two a wee bit fusiony) one sit-in Indian which is actually pretty good although portions are tiny and the delivery from there takes forever, a couple of fair to middling hole-in-the-wall Indian/kebab shop type affairs. an Italian which is pretty poor and two mediocre chippies.

Further afield there's a sit-in Indian in Eastfield that any time you phone it always sounds like there's a fight going on in the background and also a bizarre world of food type place in Westburn that has a menu about twenty pages long and a seemingly random approach to cooking what's in it - you can order the same thing three weeks in a row and it'll be completely different each time.

12 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I didn't think you were being sarcastic - I just added those other things in because I think it has nearly everything you'd want in a small town,

There's also a florists, 2 barbers (although one of them seems to be shut most of the time now, they are both owned by the same man), a couple of hairdressers, 3 chemists, a beauty salon, a dry cleaners. a cinema and  a primary school. (There are probably two primary schools, but for the life of me I can't think where the RC school is.)

And a Civic Amenity Recycling Facility.

Nobody ever talks up the positives of living in a gangster state.

Uneconomical local businesses washing money providing amenities for the local people.

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Uneconomical local businesses washing money providing amenities for the local people.

More than likely - at both ends of the town.

22 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Thank Heaven for organised crime. I'd be a pasty, hungry individual in a very dirty car if not for them.

Most the chinese takeaways in Stirling are pretty shite. What was the only consistently decent one (The regent) has been taken over recently and have heard it’s gone downhill. The fact they all seem to change hands every few years or shut down kind of says it all. Indian ones are all pretty dece. 

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Most the chinese takeaways in Stirling are pretty shite. What was the only consistently decent one (The regent) has been taken over recently and have heard it’s gone downhill. The fact they all seem to change hands every few years or shut down kind of says it all. Indian ones are all pretty dece. 

The changing hands is for tax avoidance rather than culinary concerns.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

The changing hands is for tax avoidance rather than culinary concerns.

Yeah it does seem to be all too frequent tbh. Although the terrible takeaways that nobody uses yet have been on the go for years I would imagine is for washing so probs nicely evens each other out in terms of balance.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yeah it does seem to be all too frequent tbh. Although the terrible takeaways that nobody uses yet have been on the go for years I would imagine is for washing so probs nicely evens each other out in terms of balance.

My contacts in HMRC tell me they visit premises and find a variety of scenarios.

The same guy as last time claiming to be the new owner.

A different person claiming to be the same guy as the last visit.

The owner claiming to be a pot washer and presenting the pot washer as the owner. Etc etc.

The till is always broken as well.

4 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

000EDC29-26C1-4814-AA51-0F09768220C1.jpeg

0BDF56CF-F886-4548-BEAA-F91AAAB6CF28.jpeg

Would take nuclear Armageddon before a kebab from either of these.

I used to stay in the Seagate (about 30 years ago tbh) and had a kebab from Corfu. It had big white hard bits through the meat. I later confronted the owner guy who was in the Old Bank one night and told him. He said he was aware of this and often got one of his employees to pick them out wherever possible as he thought it was either bone or plastic.

16 hours ago, stanton said:

It seems that almost every week there's another list published telling us where the best Chippy / Curry House or other take away place is , instead of the best I reckon a list of the worst, the places that should definitely be avoided would be far better to know, there's nowt worse than handing over money for something that's totally rank and uneatible 

I'll start with a Chinese takeaway in Gala that gave me food poisoning ,I've never been back ,  there was also a chip shop in Melrose where I had the worst ever fish supper  , nobody I know of ever had anything good from the place. , it was eventually closed down by the environmental health officers , thankfully it's now changed hands and is a massive improvement. 

Nominations please 

You ever tried Alfonsos? Magnificent chippy 

Edit - Saw you already answer. Sadly the big man himself died last year during covid pandemic.  

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I used to stay in the Seagate (about 30 years ago tbh) and had a kebab from Corfu. It had big white hard bits through the meat. I later confronted the owner guy who was in the Old Bank one night and told him. He said he was aware of this and often got one of his employees to pick them out wherever possible as he thought it was either bone or plastic.

Corfu kebabs taste like mince 

I forgot to mention crunch munch.
Crunch munch is a dessert takeaway that seems to have about 4 businesses on just eat. Not the best place in Perth and notorious for forgetting to deliver food, or taking 3 hours to deliver something like a milkshake.

Also, further up there’s this place that I find weird.

691d6c654c26a4518439781eb53c40e8.jpg

I’ve never seen anyone go in, never had anything myself, but it seems to have been opened for 20 years somehow.