Scotland's worst

9 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

That Pizza Crolla seems to be entirely predicated towards the alcoholically-disadvantaged heading towards Queen St.  I've got a sneaky suspicion however that you might have been in more of a nick than you realised - white pudding isn't really a thing in Glasgow chippies, so there's a good chance you had two haggises :)

The Merchant Chippie (would recommend btw) on High Street does a white pudding supper but I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere else.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

The far bigger mistake was drinking in Dows.

For its location, literally 20 yards across from the entrance to a major train station, it's hard to comprehend how utterly bowfing that place is. Got to be up there as one of the mankiest pubs in the city centre. 

Any other contenders?

For its location, literally 20 yards across from the entrance to a major train station, it's hard to comprehend how utterly bowfing that place is. Got to be up there as one of the mankiest pubs in the city centre. 
Any other contenders?
The Vale was better but also suffered from the smell of stale pish.

Dows just has that air of impending violence in it at all times. Not a nice pub at all.

20 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The Merchant Chippie (would recommend btw) on High Street does a white pudding supper but I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere else.

It's certainly a rarity in these parts - it's one of the few things I can think of that's actually improved by the addition of salt and sauce, so it tends to be what I gravitate towards on the occasions I'm in an Edinburgh chippy. I imagine it would be rank with just salt & vinegar though.

Pizza paradise in the middle of Edinburgh is a laugh. Only food place open past 3am as far as I know. Pissed up revellers sitting down for a meal at 5am is megalolz.

Me and my pals went in there after the Hive shut around 5am around 6/7 years ago. Had a proper sit down meal; was surreal the bits I remember. Having bouncers on the door at an “Italian” restaurant was hilarious to my younger self. One of my pals ordered spaghetti bolognese and ended up spewing it all over the toilets; whether that’s testament to the food or how cheap the drinks were in Hive at the time I don’t know.

Any other contenders?

It’s a very weird place. Usually I’ll nip in for the toilet after getting into Glasgow about 11 and even then it feels like it’ll kick off at any moment.

Also the only place that’s happy to sell bottles with the lid still on for the last train home.

I was in Dows once, the opening day of the 12/13 season, the Caley were away to St Mirren.  It was an experience.  Got asked who I supported about 7 times in the half hour I was in there.  Despite it being clearly obvious that I was standing with guys with The Caley scarves on.

9 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

I seriously believe that partaking in Amsterdam's smokey delights make people seriously overrate these wee FEBO things. Strictly for 'the munchies' only.

I was completely straight, the Kroket is a way of life here.

Dows and Waxy O'Connors, you know how to live!

You should push the boat out and venture another 20 yards to The Counting House or Auctioneers. I believe that to be the end of the world and there are no other pubs in Glasgow. I've heard of The Horseshoe, but don't believe it exists.

Dows and Waxy O'Connors, you know how to live!
You should push the boat out and venture another 20 yards to The Counting House or Auctioneers. I believe that to be the end of the world and there are no other pubs in Glasgow. I've heard of The Horseshoe, but don't believe it exists.

God bless Toby Jugg.
The only place I’ve ever seen someone put into the recovery position after drinking too much.

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

God bless Toby Jugg.
The only place I’ve ever seen someone put into the recovery position after drinking too much.

They attract the Glasgow glitteratti with the poun' a boatle offer.

It was in there the "Big Hoose" guy drank.

23 hours ago, PWL said:

The Ruby? 

That's certainly been the rumour for many years. As long as they don't change the dragon picture at the top of the stairs then I don't mind. It's been a land mark painting there since at least the late 70s. 

The Princess Rose in Balloch has allegedly also featured in pass-the-parcel ownership over the years.

I know Dows is a kowp but as I said I was mortal and I didn't fancy my chances in the living Escher painting that's Waxys.

Having conducted an independent inquiry I can confirm it was 2 haggis suppers I had but they do do chippy sauce (or at least their own version)

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I've been in the Pizza Crolla next to Waxy O'Connors a few times and it was decent when pished.

'it was decent when pished' - covers so many things I've eaten and/or done when pished on a Saturday and started to regret it on a Sunday morning.