Relegation Decider - EF-vs- DFC

10 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Defensive incompetence is usually limited in a back 3 - at this level I guess it’s no surprise some of the best teams are using that formation. Unfortunately though we don’t have a manager capable of implementing it. He switch to a back 3 for the second half at the weekend and it was embarrassing. Just reeked of sheer tactical incompetence. The ‘wing backs’ went so high and narrow that we effectively cut off our own passing lanes to the wing backs from the the wide centre backs, leaving us with no option but to go long and effectively making the formation change completely pointless.

3 at the back is a fairly logical option for us personnel-wise but not with Farrell in charge unfortunately.

Praying that Oyinsan will be back asap. We really need him and McLean every game.

Its not really something that works during a game. For me tactical switches need to be worked on in training. Tweaking things during a game to counter specific threats? Fine. Major change of shape to something we don't play regularly? Problem.

I think 3-5-2 is probably the formation that suits our players best. We've got enough central defenders that we can play 3 at the back and have the option of dropping Carswell back to play as an aggressive sweeper if somebody picks up a knock. If not then Carswell and Paton in the middle would give enough graft to let McKee concentrate on being an attacking and creative threat. We're not blessed at left back and Wylde as a left wingback lets him contribute a bit offensively. Carlo can do the same job on the right. That leaves us the option of a front 2 as too often I think we've let our striker become isolated this season.

But its something we'd need to work on before we could implement it. Hopefully Faz has spent a bit of time in training looking at whether or not it's something we can adapt to. What we're doing hasn't really been working much this season and if we keep doing the same thing then we're going to get the same results. I'd rather see Faz try and change things than stick with what isn't working. At least we'd be trying to do something to earn our safety.

Coming along for this today, so fully expect me to bring the curse and the game to finish 0-0! Coincidentally was at The Rock for the January meeting as well. Think it was 2-0 Dumbarton with a Gregg Wylde screamer?

Had a listen to the Glory Days of Gold podcast this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Edited by PSJ.84

I’m not sure all these in depth formations and tactics make much difference. Despite some good enough individuals, as a collective unit under the tutelage of Stevie Farrow, Frank McKeown and ericphillips69 we are fucking hopeless. We haven’t had a settled right back all season because he keeps moving players around, we have centre backs who are absolutely full of invidiual goal costing mistakes in every game and at left back we have 3 fairly terrible options. We very rarely win the midfield battle, we shunt everyone and anyone in there instead of playing central midfielders but despite this I actually think Paton is one of the few positives from the current squad (why does he get so much grief from our supporters?). Our wide players (if you can call them that) have zero end product and we have 1 singular striker on the books, who I’m not entirely convinced fancies it given his recent disappearing act. Operating with two wingers or midfielders up there is absolutely pathetic at this stage of the season tbh.

We have some good invidiuals who we all know are more than good enough at this level but the manager has absolutely no idea how to get the best out of them. I have been hugely unimpressed with how he has dealt with young Wilson, instead of getting our most exciting young player in years back to form he’s been tossed aside like a shitey bit of toilet paper. 

451, 352, 442 it doesn’t make a difference. If we stay up it will be by the skin of our teeth and it wont be pretty. The players cutting out the absolutely ridiculous individual mistakes would go a long way to helping us achieve it, even if we go to three at the back these c***s will still be chucking in two goals a game. They need to get their heads straight and stop being total shitebags.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m not sure all these in depth formations and tactics make much difference. Despite some good enough individuals, as a collective unit under the tutelage of Stevie Farrow, Frank McKeown and ericphillips69 we are fucking hopeless. We haven’t had a settled right back all season because he keeps moving players around, we have centre backs who are absolutely full of invidiual goal costing mistakes in every game and at left back we have 3 fairly terrible options. We very rarely win the midfield battle, we shunt everyone and anyone in there instead of playing central midfielders but despite this I actually think Paton is one of the few positives from the current squad (why does he get so much grief from our supporters?). Our wide players (if you can call them that) have zero end product and we have 1 singular striker on the books, who I’m not entirely convinced fancies it given his recent disappearing act. Operating with two wingers or midfielders up there is absolutely pathetic at this stage of the season tbh.

We have some good invidiuals who we all know are more than good enough at this level but the manager has absolutely no idea how to get the best out of them. I have been hugely unimpressed with how he has dealt with young Wilson, instead of getting our most exciting young player in years back to form he’s been tossed aside like a shitey bit of toilet paper. 

451, 352, 442 it doesn’t make a difference. If we stay up it will be by the skin of our teeth and it wont be pretty. The players cutting out the absolutely ridiculous individual mistakes would go a long way to helping us achieve it, even if we go to three at the back these c***s will still be chucking in two goals a game. They need to get their heads straight and stop being total shitebags.

To add insult to injury I have to pay 15 quid to watch a shitey stream of my shitey team. 

Well that lineup is really quite something. It’s not guaranteed we’ll line up in that formation but if we are then why are we starting with a left back at centre back when we have a supposed centre back on the bench? It’s like Farrell just can’t help himself but play c***s out of position, even when he doesn’t have to. The man has an out of position fetish that cannot be tamed.

How many goals do our front 2 have between them when starting games? It certainly can’t be that many, even with Stokes sub goals it must be under 5.

27 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

How many goals do our front 2 have between them when starting games? It certainly can’t be that many, even with Stokes sub goals it must be under 5.

They've both scored five goals for us. Stokes have all come from the bench and Duthie has three from starting positions and two as sub.

What's the deal with players just missing out without any word of it. Last week no mention but then Boyle not in the squad and this week Buchanan.
Boyle was on the bench last week. Otherwise no idea why no mention of Buchanan this week.