QP v Alloa

46 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Your definition of routine win is slightly different from mine, I suppose. I felt like it was a fairly even game but I'm disappointed that we didn't create more with the amount of possession we had and I'm glad Beuker feels that way too.

Screenshot_20220314-090931~2.png

Ah yes, the complete misunderstanding on how football works. The only stat you really have a significant advantage is possession.

Possession stats are not indicative of territory or more importantly any danger and since we have the lead we're under no obligation to press you beyond our final third, although on a few occasions we did to some success. I might as well quote 6/9 shots on target as showing we had the better goalscoring opportunities if we're making up conclusions.

Routine win being, not good, not terrible but taking home three points anyway would be my definition.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

Ah yes, the complete misunderstanding on how football works. The only stat you really have a significant advantage is possession.

Possession stats are not indicative of territory or more importantly any danger and since we have the lead we're under no obligation to press you beyond our final third, although on a few occasions we did to some success. I might as well quote 6/9 shots on target as showing we had the better goalscoring opportunities if we're making up conclusions.

I clearly stated that I thought it was an evenly matched game, my point was that had either side managed to take 3 points it would've been anything but routine.

You are correct about having no requirement to press us and that's exactly the issue, we had plenty of the ball but are incapable of breaking teams down. It's been a common issue this season, and my disappointment stems from our inability to get better at this.

Our midfield, despite the talent there, simply doesn't have what it takes to do the dirty work and it's why teams have seen relative success sitting back against us this season.

24 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Ah yes, the complete misunderstanding on how football works. The only stat you really have a significant advantage is possession

Plus all but one of the other stats goes to QP and we hit the bar twice. Add in a couple of decent saves from the Alloa keeper. On another day.....

"...complete misunderstanding on how football works" - rein yourself in.

Not a good day at the office for us. Rice picked his team and tactics for the conditions and did a good job. We could hardly string two passes together, disappointing after the two decent games last week. However, we did have that terrific goal; look at how Darcy just muscled past his man to meet the touch back from McBride.

Falkirk's loss makes the run in a bit easier for us but we need to improve to make any sort of dent in the play offs......should we get there.

It was a strange game, QP opened us up in the first minute and then had those two efforts off the bar but the longer it went on the less threat they offered. I did think we were fairly comfortable before the goal came. Draw was fair. 

I'm not convinced there should be much of a difference between QP and Alloa though as some posters have suggested. QP have a lower end ft budget and Alloa a high end pt one. There shouldn't be a massive difference there and I'd be expecting close games. What both clubs have in common this season is that they have been mismanaged and underperformed for the budgets and quality of player they have. QP should have being going for the title and Alloa should have been going for the promotion play-offs. 

Looking in from the outside I'd have thought QP would have better off spending the time when Lesser was being developed working to get their new setup in place on and off the field and making a huge effort on community work. Then when you move in you'd ideally have a a manager there who knew the place and could add a bit more quality to what he had been working with already with the aim of winning League 2 in the first season in the new ground. Aim to take the momentum from that and go right through League 1. Ideal way to really build a fanbase with success in the new home. 

Instead you seem to have given Ray MacKinnon a small fortune to spend on the jobbers he always signs, then punted him and quickly gone through another manager, and now months with no manager at all, while playing on a mudheap in another part of the city. Team seems to lack identity right now and from what I can see, relations behind club and fans haven't  been great either. Not to say it won't end up working out in the long term but very questionable decision making thus far. 

8 minutes ago, Waspie said:

It was a strange game, QP opened us up in the first minute and then had those two efforts off the bar but the longer it went on the less threat they offered. I did think we were fairly comfortable before the goal came. Draw was fair. 

I'm not convinced there should be much of a difference between QP and Alloa though as some posters have suggested. QP have a lower end ft budget and Alloa a high end pt one. There shouldn't be a massive difference there and I'd be expecting close games. What both clubs have in common this season is that they have been mismanaged and underperformed for the budgets and quality of player they have. QP should have being going for the title and Alloa should have been going for the promotion play-offs. 

Looking in from the outside I'd have thought QP would have better off spending the time when Lesser was being developed working to get their new setup in place on and off the field and making a huge effort on community work. Then when you move in you'd ideally have a a manager there who knew the place and could add a bit more quality to what he had been working with already with the aim of winning League 2 in the first season in the new ground. Aim to take the momentum from that and go right through League 1. Ideal way to really build a fanbase with success in the new home. 

Instead you seem to have given Ray MacKinnon a small fortune to spend on the jobbers he always signs, then punted him and quickly gone through another manager, and now months with no manager at all, while playing on a mudheap in another part of the city. Team seems to lack identity right now and from what I can see, relations behind club and fans haven't  been great either. Not to say it won't end up working out in the long term but very questionable decision making thus far. 

Good summary. The lack of leadership off the park is because we have two leadership groups, in parallel. Not competing against each other but it’s definitely been dysfunctional. For me, until this is properly aligned our progress will continue to be fitful. 

When I look at our playing group I’m more than content if we don’t qualify for promotion this year. The “clear out” model is nonsense imho, we’ll be back to where we are this year. It needs to be a much better balanced playing group though. We’ll need everything at the club pushing in the same direction to cope with promotion to the Championship and it’s just not there yet, neither on or off the park.

7 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Good summary. The lack of leadership off the park is because we have two leadership groups, in parallel. Not competing against each other but it’s definitely been dysfunctional. For me, until this is properly aligned our progress will continue to be fitful. 

At least two. Plus the money. 

On 13/03/2022 at 09:24, CathcartSkins said:

Really.

A 31%-win ratio while hardly the stuff of champions, seems par for the course for teams who sit fourth in their leagues:

Hibs 30%, ICT 37% & Edin City 41%  - of course I could pick the loss ratio and argue we are would beaters:

Hibs 36% ICT 27% Edin City 39% and the mighty QP 13%!  

Hold on, just wait till I work out our Draw-Ratio........

We are nowhere near being rubbish.

Hibs are a point off 9th.  I wouldn't use them as a barometer.  

On 13/03/2022 at 20:21, Boris the Spider said:

Are we really analysing how we celebrate goals now? The boy scores a brilliant goal and runs off to celebrate with his team. Ffs - what else do you expect him to do? Brisk handshake with his teammates and straight back to his own half?

I honestly think there are some people are looking for reasons to criticise.

On 13/03/2022 at 21:20, an86 said:

Our mentality should be “win.” Doesn’t matter if it’s a tap in or a thirty yarder. With six minutes left, time is precious. If our players are wanting their backs slapped for an equaliser at home to a bottom half team with five minutes left, then it shows where they are mentally. A team with a bit about them’s first instinct is “let’s go and win this.” Looked a team delighted with our point, which simply isn’t good enough.

I, for one, have relished watching the Boris the Spider vs an86 feud develop over the last couple of weeks.

24 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

I, for one, have relished watching the Boris the Spider vs an86 feud develop over the last couple of weeks.

😂 You can cut the tension with a knife at the games. I think a pint and a wee cuddle in the Star and Garter is what's required

Edited by Mick1867

5 hours ago, Chester Desmond said:

Hibs are a point off 9th.  I wouldn't use them as a barometer.  

I promise I’ll give him a big cuddle on Saturday.