QP v Alloa

11 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

I can assure you, I ain't happy with another draw. Am being realsitic.  

It is realistic to expect and, indeed, demand better from these players. We have lucked out with Falkirk being the worst full-time team ever to kick a ball.

Nobody expects to win every week, but we absolutely should expect to be winning more games. I don’t think that’s up for debate. Why we’re not winning games is obvious. Think it was Robson taking a throw in the second half yesterday, 1-0 down and nobody showing for it. Buzzing off a late equaliser against seventh place. They simply don’t want to win enough. 

The core of our squad next season has to include five or six guys who would run through a brick wall to win a game of football, whether they are 21 or 31 years old. They don’t need to be world beaters, but competent footballers who hate losing. Aside from Doyle, Grant and Fox, there’s not many I’m looking along the trenches and fancying winning a scrap alongside. That’s not to say others don’t have ability, but they need to toughen up in a big way. 

28 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

Whereas we must one of the youngest and certainly the most inexperienced; hence the mistakes our younger players make.  

We’ve got the experience in abundance throughout this squad to cope with the demands of league 1. Muir, Doyle, Kilday, Grant, Gillepsie, Longridge, Mchugh and Murray have played hundreds of games for a number of years in the divisions above. Inexperience Can’t be an excuse for us 

46 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

We are not rubbish, we are learning. And next season, our team will be all the better for it.

Going by yesterday's performance no-one is learning anything. It's much the same game most weeks - all the good stuff in the first fifteen minutes then a rapid deterioration as we get sussed out / bogged down.

57 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

We need an experienced hard grafting midfielder. Dare I say Scott Brown type.

This. Our current starting midfield is mostly lightweight and lacking experience. We need a midfield equivalent of Peter Grant - someone who is a ball winner and an organiser who can talk the younger players through a game. Some of our problems can be put down to poor recruitment as we seem to have signed or been loaned the same couple of types of player over and over again. While many are individually skilful there seems to have been no thought put into building a balanced team.

1 hour ago, Spidersmad said:

Going by yesterday's performance no-one is learning anything. It's much the same game most weeks - all the good stuff in the first fifteen minutes then a rapid deterioration as we get sussed out / bogged down.

Our current starting midfield is mostly lightweight and lacking experience. 

Liam Brown; 22yo; first team experience 4 years, about 60 games

Louis Longridge 30; 10 years about 230 games

Jake Davidson 21; 2 years

Jack Thomson 21; 1 year

Connor Smith 19; 3+ years (40+ games)

Luca Connell 20; 1.5 years (40+ games)

Ronan Darcy 21; 2 years (40+ games)

Spot on. I see no improvement from Ellis era. Brown and Connell are becoming luxuries.

A week's a long time in football is this the Luca Connell who got a double at Dumbarton last week?! Liam Brown not at his best yesterday no idea how he got MoM but you seriously telling me he's a luxury you'd dispense with?

1 hour ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

A week's a long time in football is this the Luca Connell who got a double at Dumbarton last week?! Liam Brown not at his best yesterday no idea how he got MoM but you seriously telling me he's a luxury you'd dispense with?

No, but we do need someone of more experience to organise and direct them. I would not judge any player on one or two specific games but over a season. In my opinion we have not had value for money from these two over this season. Your suggestion of Canice Carroll is one who was in my thoughts when I posted earlier.

Edited by williebraveheart

On 12/03/2022 at 17:30, an86 said:

Credit to Darcy, a worldy of a strike. Tells you where our mentality is when we’re running over the to the bench to celebrate an equaliser at home to a bottom half side with five minutes left. 

Are we really analysing how we celebrate goals now? The boy scores a brilliant goal and runs off to celebrate with his team. Ffs - what else do you expect him to do? Brisk handshake with his teammates and straight back to his own half?

I honestly think there are some people are looking for reasons to criticise.

2 hours ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Canice Carroll anyone

What happened to him? He disappeared at the end of last season and I don't remember any announcement about his departure. Or maybe I just missed it. Grant Gillespie at the top of his game brings more to the midfield but isn't quite the kind of player I had in mind.

24 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

What happened to him? He disappeared at the end of last season and I don't remember any announcement about his departure. Or maybe I just missed it. Grant Gillespie at the top of his game brings more to the midfield but isn't quite the kind of player I had in mind.

I'm fairly sure he just wasn't offered a new contract, but the club did announce it at the time. He ended up signing for Oxford City in the 6th tier down south.

46 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

Are we really analysing how we celebrate goals now? The boy scores a brilliant goal and runs off to celebrate with his team. Ffs - what else do you expect him to do? Brisk handshake with his teammates and straight back to his own half?

Our mentality should be “win.” Doesn’t matter if it’s a tap in or a thirty yarder. With six minutes left, time is precious. If our players are wanting their backs slapped for an equaliser at home to a bottom half team with five minutes left, then it shows where they are mentally. A team with a bit about them’s first instinct is “let’s go and win this.” Looked a team delighted with our point, which simply isn’t good enough.

1 hour ago, Boris the Spider said:

I was thinking that earlier. New club, hardly getting a chance, just on the park and you pull something like that out the hat. I’d have been looking for a bit more than a high-five too.

1 hour ago, Boris the Spider said:

Also worth noting the entire Cove Rangers bench emptied and they ran into the corner for a big pile on when they equalised against us a few weeks ago.

9 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Also worth noting the entire Cove Rangers bench emptied and they ran into the corner for a big pile on when they equalised against us a few weeks ago.

It's like it's actually quite difficult to play us.

I think that's an interesting juxtaposition for Beuker and Queen's Park. He was convinced QP should've won. The interviewer was certainly painting his questions like the match was even. But for an exceptional strike that would've been a fairly routine win for us after navigating a tricky first 15 minutes.

Delusions of grandeur from the new money I guess.

Edited by LeodhasXD

17 hours ago, qpfc said:

We’ve got the experience in abundance throughout this squad to cope with the demands of league 1. Muir, Doyle, Kilday, Grant, Gillepsie, Longridge, Mchugh and Murray have played hundreds of games for a number of years in the divisions above. Inexperience Can’t be an excuse for us 

Spot on, each of them playing regularly would be more than enough to live up to the demands of this league. However, that group have not collectively played regularly - the younger, inexperienced players have.    

17 hours ago, qpfc said:

EXPERIENCE

This statistic shows the ranking of the most experienced teams in the selected competition, adding together all games which have been made by the players in this competition.

Club Squad size Matches Avg. Appearances/player most experienced player in squad
East Fife FC East Fife FC 27 1.895 70.19 Ryan Wallace
Matches: 251
Montrose FC Montrose FC 26 1.827 70.27 Iain Campbell
Matches: 186
Alloa Athletic FC Alloa Athletic FC 23 1.400 60.87 Alan Trouten
Matches: 186
Cove Rangers FC Cove Rangers FC 19 1.394 73.37 Rory McAllister
Matches: 222
Peterhead FC Peterhead FC 26 1.361 52.35 Alan Cook
Matches: 187
Clyde FC Clyde FC 21 1.300 61.90 Mark Docherty
Matches: 193
Airdrieonians FC Airdrieonians FC 24 1.139 47.46 Scott Agnew
Matches: 193
Dumbarton FC Dumbarton FC 22 981 44.59 Paddy Boyle
Matches: 168
Falkirk FC Falkirk FC 24 895 37.29 Anton Dowds
Matches: 88
Queen's Park FC Queen's Park FC 27 648 24.00 Michael Doyle
Matches: 82

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

It's like it's actually quite difficult to play us.

I think that's an interesting juxtaposition for Beuker and Queen's Park. He was convinced QP should've won. The interviewer was certainly painting his questions like the match was even. But for an exceptional strike that would've been a fairly routine win for us after navigating a tricky first 15 minutes.

Delusions of grandeur from the new money I guess.

Your definition of routine win is slightly different from mine, I suppose. I felt like it was a fairly even game but I'm disappointed that we didn't create more with the amount of possession we had and I'm glad Beuker feels that way too.

Screenshot_20220314-090931~2.png