Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Clown Job

It was indeed. A strong series overall, with a good coverage of the rest of the crew, not just Pike (in complete contrast to Discovery). 

Episodic format worked a lot better than a story arc.

10 hours ago, Jedi said:

It was indeed. A strong series overall, with a good coverage of the rest of the crew, not just Pike (in complete contrast to Discovery). 

Episodic format worked a lot better than a story arc.

I agree with all of this.

Enterprise also struggled to develop the other characters.  Hope they don't overdevelop Uhura as someone who solves everything.

• 2 weeks later...

After the finale I decided to watch TOS properly for the first time before all the Star Trek shows are inevitably taken off Netflix. I had only seen random episodes in the 90s reruns on Channel4? Being a TNG and movies kid the series always looked quite weak.

I hadn't realised how many of the episodes would involve finding an alien planet that had evolved to be exactly like Earth and it's history with a the slight twist. Thoughts brought to you after most recently watching "The Omega Glory" Americans v. Commies post nuclear war that ends in ra-ra American patriotism and "Bread and Circuses" English speaking Roman empire that ends on a Christian note.

I thought the final episode was great until they threw in the final scene which means we will perhaps see an Illyrian/genetically modified story arc next season. And this bores me shitless.

At least we didn't see someone's mother/father/brother appear at the very end as the season "climax" though Batel's re-appearance was close to this

On 27/08/2022 at 21:33, FairWeatherFan said:

After the finale I decided to watch TOS properly for the first time before all the Star Trek shows are inevitably taken off Netflix. I had only seen random episodes in the 90s reruns on Channel4? Being a TNG and movies kid the series always looked quite weak.

I hadn't realised how many of the episodes would involve finding an alien planet that had evolved to be exactly like Earth and it's history with a the slight twist. Thoughts brought to you after most recently watching "The Omega Glory" Americans v. Commies post nuclear war that ends in ra-ra American patriotism and "Bread and Circuses" English speaking Roman empire that ends on a Christian note.

There is a lot of that, but maybe because TV writers of that age were not used to doing Sci fi, so shoehorned in westerns and the like. 

Plus, you can really see the quality drop in season 3 when the budget was slashed and Gene L Coon had left. 

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

There is a lot of that, but maybe because TV writers of that age were not used to doing Sci fi, so shoehorned in westerns and the like. 

Plus, you can really see the quality drop in season 3 when the budget was slashed and Gene L Coon had left. 

It's been worth it for a whole new appreciation of Diana Muldaur. Never a fan of Pulaski, but back in the day 😍

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to bingeing the last half a dozen episodes after starting this and stopping.  Definitely the best Star Trek show (along with Lower Decks) for a long time.  Hardly any of the shit that they threw at us in Discovery.

They've also fixed Discovery's mistake by actually letting us get to know the main members of the crew rather than having just let them be glorified extras whilst the main character did everything.

I thought it was a ballsy move to try and give us an alternative view of Balance of Terror, considering it's one of the best episodes of TOS, but they pulled it off.

Not 100% sold on the new Jim Kirk though.

On 01/11/2022 at 09:11, KnightswoodBear said:

I thought it was a ballsy move to try and give us an alternative view of Balance of Terror, considering it's one of the best episodes of TOS, but they pulled it off.

I’m already thinking the final episode of the series could be a remake of The Cage 

Edit: Not the cage. The other one with Pike in the wheelchair and Spock kidnapped him 

Edited by Clown Job

8 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I’m already thinking the final episode of the series could be a remake of The Cage 

Edit: Not the cage. The other one with Pike in the wheelchair and Spock kidnapped him 

The Menagerie?

Can't see it to be honest. It was just a flimsy plot to re-show The Cage in flashback form.

4 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I was wondering if they'd do a redo of the original pilot episode. Don't necessarily know if it would work as well now. 

• 4 months later...