Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Clown Job

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Sorry, this medieval pish is struggling to hold my attention this week.

yeah, shades of the worst of Voyager holodeck episodes there.

A telepathic nebula meaning a ship in a bottle at 8 episodes in is a bit meh given the potential for a range of different stories and planets each week. I don't know, but I like it when they pitch up at a different planet each week and this episode seemed a filler. At least we don't (hopefully) need to keep returning to the M'Benga's feckin transport buffer/family drama story arc. 

In saying that I don't mind the potential story arc around The Menagerie Cage disfigured in a wheelchair - and normally I hate constant "flashbacks/forwards". Seeing the same image in a dream or vision constantly on loop bores the shit out me in any movie/show but this is one rare thread that intrigues me and really links the show to TOS. 

7 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

yeah, shades of the worst of Voyager holodeck episodes there.

A telepathic nebula meaning a ship in a bottle at 8 episodes in is a bit meh given the potential for a range of different stories and planets each week. I don't know, but I like it when they pitch up at a different planet each week and this episode seemed a filler. At least we don't (hopefully) need to keep returning to the M'Benga's feckin transport buffer/family drama story arc. 

In saying that I don't mind the potential story arc around The Menagerie Cage disfigured in a wheelchair - and normally I hate constant "flashbacks/forwards". Seeing the same image in a dream or vision constantly on loop bores the shit out me in any movie/show but this is one rare thread that intrigues me and really links the show to TOS. 

Having managed to finally get through it, it's as if they realised that the Dr's daughter story wasn't really going anywhere (other than her either being cured or dying), so they used this episode to wrap up her story.

Pike's centre parting was funny, though.

SNW continues a long Star Trek tradition of having a complete and utter disaster of an episode in the middle of a series. The first three quarters of that was so bad it was almost unwatchable. The last 5 minutes were poignant though.

This one can join Catspaw from the original series, The Royale in The Next Generation and Move Along Home from DS9 as episodes I will just skip and never watch again. 

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Having managed to finally get through it, it's as if they realised that the Dr's daughter story wasn't really going anywhere (other than her either being cured or dying), so they used this episode to wrap up her story.

Pike's centre parting was funny, though.

Have to agree. They started a story and needed a way out. 

Would have preferred it without the story pish. 

The one high point for me was seeing more of the engineer, Hemmer. He rescued the end of the episode for me. 

Watched Amok Time last night. Spock's fiancee was indeed T'Pring. For some reason I thought the woman from SNW was different to the one from TOS. 

Very different. In SNW she is quite a positive character. In Amok Time she was just heartless towards him. 

Weekly drop. In the States it is up to Episode 8 of 10.

I don't know if due to the delay in launching Paramount+ here they might be dropping near enough weekly. An attempt to keep subscribers over multiple subscription windows.

I think that's what the likes of Disney+ did with the first season of the Mandalorian if I remember right.

Cracking episode 9. 

I think it's safe to say it "borrowed" some ideas from both Alien and Jurassic Park. 

The Gorn as the baddies are fantastic.

Having recently watched Arena (the original fight between Kirk and the Gorn captain), the Gorn's big weakness was that they were slow. SNW has binned that idea and gone for the fast, strong, terrifying lizards. 

Oh, and that ending...

Watched the TOS episode Balance Of Terror after watching this week's SNW. Very smart the way they replayed the episode while giving us Pikes perspective on how he approaches conflict compared to Kirk. Worth checking out the TOS episode on Netflix. Much of the scenes and dialogue are the same. 

By chance I had watched Balance of Terror a few days before seeing the finale episode of SNW. As @saint dave says, very smart using same dialogue but highlighting the differences. 

The only wrong note for me is that two main characters (Chapel and Number One) were barely in it. Jess Bush as Nurse Chapel has been one of the big stand-outs of the series. 

Note they went beyond that and copied some direction - close up of the captain's face with the background darkened and bright light shining in their face was in both the original episode and in SNW, highlighting the danger.

kirk_concerned.jpg

857219.jpg

Overall for the series, 9 great episodes and one a bit of a stinker. The best Star Trek show in many years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2022 at 01:19, Rodhull said:

Yeah thought that was a good finale and overall a very good series. Never been a particularly big fan of the original series but will give that episode a watch to compare.

Re watching it now. The original series had some tremendous episodes. This one is very good indeed. 

• 4 weeks later...