Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Clown Job

Not that it's a high bar but the first episode is probably the best episode of a new star trek I've seen in some time. The preview of the series to come actually has me feeling optimistic.

They managed to do more to make the individual crew members stand out and be memorable in one episode than discovery managed in years?

That was much more like it. 

Not going OTT, it wasn't the most amazing thing ever, but it was what I hoped for - a traditional Star Trek show. Good characters, good plot. Really liked the new Nurse Chapel. 

9 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Not that it's a high bar but the first episode is probably the best episode of a new star trek I've seen in some time. The preview of the series to come actually has me feeling optimistic.

They managed to do more to make the individual crew members stand out and be memorable in one episode than discovery managed in years?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

That was much more like it. 

Not going OTT, it wasn't the most amazing thing ever, but it was what I hoped for - a traditional Star Trek show. Good characters, good plot. Really liked the new Nurse Chapel. 

agreed. I thought it was great. Night and day from Discovery and Picard. For starters Pike is a great character and the looks of the show is that it is back to basics driven by new adventures every week through the planet they arrive at. At the same time I don't mind a small story arc of some sorts and the link to The Cage/The Menagerie, although covered a bit in Discovery, gives us that as well as a direct throwback to TOS. 

The brother appearing at the end was a nice touch - did anyone see the deleted scene in ST 2009 with him in it? 

All in all, really looking forward to this show and season now. I didn't think I would be saying that again about Star Trek with the current show runners in place. 

2 episodes in and I am getting seriously good vibes about this show. Another traditional star trek episode. If it carries on like this, it could end up being the best trek since DS9. Unless I have just jinxed it. 

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Episode 3 was great. Very much liking Number One... 

yeah I really liked it also. Brother thought that the Illyrians/colonists story line was promising but wasted and they did tie up v quickly and too neatly. But I don't have an issue with that - how many times did a good TNG episode get resolved through Trek science babble? The re-tooling of classic Trek ie stranded away team, ion storms, a virus on board a Captain-less Enterprise is all fine by me. I am very happy for past plots to be re-hashed in an episode of the week fashion as long as they are well written and well structured. 

Basically in judging a show do you look forward to the next episode when the previous episode just finishes? That is the true barometer. For SNW for me - absolutely, at three episodes in. Am not sure if I was saying that at ep 3 of Season 1 Discovery (though hadn't hated it by that point was just becoming indifferent). Certainly wasn't saying the same after S01E03 Picard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't normally use the spoiler function but will here. 

Spoiler

It was a fairly bog standard episode for most of it. 5 minutes from the end I said to my son "yeah, they'll rescue the boy and he will live happily ever after with his dad." Then a gut punch at the end. 

Loved how brutally they cut that off. The end scene with Pike downing whisky was brilliant. 

A genuine "No way" moment for me when I realised that they were not rescuing the boy and he was in fact going to die.

Oh, and when the wee boy was standing saying how happy he was to ascend, then his voice went when the took the body of the last boy past him. Wonderful acting. 

Another solid episode. I wonder if T'Pring will end up like Kim in Better Call Saul, with people wondering what had happened to her. 

Security on the ship is bloody awful 😁

ETA: Had this been Discovery, the fact that the main guest character was trans would have been "the message". There would have been long, emotional speeches. There would have been a storyline all designed to explore how people can be who they like. SNW managed this much better by having the character be just a huge and important part of the story as they were. And the character was brilliant - best guest in a Star Trek show for a very long time. 

Edited by scottsdad

On 17/06/2022 at 14:14, scottsdad said:

Another solid episode. I wonder if T'Pring will end up like Kim in Better Call Saul, with people wondering what had happened to her. 

Security on the ship is bloody awful 😁

ETA: Had this been Discovery, the fact that the main guest character was trans would have been "the message". There would have been long, emotional speeches. There would have been a storyline all designed to explore how people can be who they like. SNW managed this much better by having the character be just a huge and important part of the story as they were. And the character was brilliant - best guest in a Star Trek show for a very long time. 

how many crew are supposed to be on the ship? 400 or so? Where were they all during the siege? 

12 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Paramount + launches tomorrow for you non pirates 

For those that have an Xbox and gamepass subscription you can get a free month of paramount through the perks.

*From the 28th apparently.

Edited by Rodhull

12 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Paramount + launches tomorrow for you non pirates 

Paramount are the real pirates here. Pulling the latest Discovery season from Netflix the day before it was due to launch, creating their own paywall for no good reason - very few (if any) people can afford to sign up to every subscription service going.