Morton vs Thistle - 12th March 2022

We have not played well in our last two games, yet we have picked up six points and have not conceded, so we can’t have many complaints. Last time out against Morton we just couldn’t stick the ball in the net and got punished for it. Once again, another scrappy one nil win will do Thistle.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

We have not played well in our last two games

I don’t know if that’s quite fair - we played well for half of each game. The other half in each was abysmal but still.

Any win will do.

Is Imrie still serving a touch line ban for this? 

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Thistle players to be dazzled by the strange green stuff under their feet and lose comfortably.

Or Thistle to run out of steam in the last twenty minutes and lose narrowly.

Either outcome more than acceptable.*

Reveal hidden contents

* Truth is a dull draw is also acceptable.

The concept of passing a ball that doesn't bobble 5 or 6 times before it reaches a man, might throw us a bit. 

I've got the fear for this one tbh with Millen still in the dugout, and us having not looked good at all in the previous three meetings. I think we'll need both the midweek fixture to be a bit of a leveller and for the team to deliver a strong response to their stupid mistakes on Saturday to get a win. 

As per Cappielow will be a huge test for us. Bit of bring the right order of things back after last time please Jags. 

Am chuffed with our form. We've stuck in in tough games. Players will be looking forward to a better pitch

While sticking with the same shape, I'd be overhauling the midfield personnel for this.

After the Raith game we had the problem of leaving too much space in midfield costing us goals correctly identified and signed Wilson, then after another long range goal conceded v QoS he came into the team to address that. Before it went tits up with a shambolic defensive performance that was more about individual errors than any systemic issue on Saturday, we'd only conceded two in five since Raith and one in three since QoS so the change has largely worked defensively. However we've now only scored one in four as well.

Blues and Lyon worked well together creatively when Lyon was the deepest player, but if we're going to have a more defensive player in midfield, a water carrier type who can't be trusted to do anything more in possession than play a simple five yard pass to the more creative players around him, then whether that's Wilson or Jacobs Blues doesn't cut it and Lyon has to take his place.

Blues has improved over every season to the point that he's now a useful player and his finishing along with his ability to make late runs bursting into the box makes him a good option to have either from the bench as an impact sub or starting games if the midfield balance is right to accommodate him, but as it's been for the last four games he just doesn't have enough about him with the ball at his feet to carry the team up the park in that role. Lyon has to take his place there. Maybe having all three of them could work given time, but if Imrie wants one of three higher up the park than the other two then Lyon has to be the one beside Wilson/Jacobs.

As for Gary Oliver, he's hardly passed to a Morton player in weeks. He needs dropped for his own good. Having been the player initially dropped for Wilson against Hamilton we weren't pressing high enough up the park that day so I understand why he was brought back in rather than persisting with the deeper midfield three, but it isn't working. If having one of the midfield three playing right in behind the strikers and pressing high up the park with them is the preferred option, it's time to give McGrattan a shot. He's looked a threat in his brief sub appearances, Oliver isn't contributing offensively and it wouldn't be possible to do less defensively anyway, so there's not really anything to lose.

All that said, it's not escaped attention that while there's a tactical explanation for the four games where the goals have dried up, they've also been the four games Imrie's been in the stand. We really need to get the intensity of pressing back that has been lacking over the remaining two games before he returns.

Edited by Dunning1874

Graham probably starts this one ahead of Alegría as we now have a free midweek, and Turner has been very good off the bench last two games so I'd play him ahead of Crawford. 

Realistically I think first place is beyond us given the effect of the fixture backlog but *if* we can get 6+ points from the next 3 then we'll at least be in with a sniff prior to the Killie / Arbroath back to back games which pretty much everyone would have taken at the start of the season. 

Realistically I think first place is beyond us given the effect of the fixture backlog but *if* we can get 6+ points from the next 3 then we'll at least be in with a sniff prior to the Killie / Arbroath back to back games which pretty much everyone would have taken at the start of the season. 

I think even HighlandMagyar admitted making the playoffs would be a good result. We're very close to achieving our initial aims for this season but we should absolutely be in the mindset that we can win the league (I'd give us a 20% chance).

6 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Graham probably starts this one ahead of Alegría as we now have a free midweek, and Turner has been very good off the bench last two games so I'd play him ahead of Crawford. 

I think Saturdays game is a really important one. Match Killie & Arbroath and we have pretty much caught up the games and have them looking over their shoulders at us. 

26 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I see we’re in the Wee Dublin End. Shame, as the atmosphere in the cowshed has been brilliant the past few times I’ve been.

I presume that's the open terrace behind the goal? 

43 minutes ago, DazzJag said:

Unfortunately covid finally caught up with me and I'm missing this one. How's Mortons streaming? Pixellot or something worthwhile paying for?

Nae luck re COVID, I hope it’s a mild dose, but yeah the streaming service is good. It’s not Pixelot, the camerawork’s pretty good ( so is the pitch, by the way!😜) and it’s generally agreed that Gerry McDaid and Andy Ritchie make a great commentary team.  Hope you enjoy it (but not much!)!  👍