Scott Brown retires

17 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You did pretty much regurgitate what he was moaning about though? 

I didn't though did I?  I showed how how they aren't remotely similar.  Why do you lot find it so hard to accept that Celtic winning about 358 Scottish Premiership titles, whilst having a vast monetary advantage over the other clubs, isn't impressive, and shouldn't be lauded as such?

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I didn't though did I?  I showed how how they aren't remotely similar.  Why do you lot find it so hard to accept that Celtic winning about 358 Scottish Premiership titles, whilst having a vast monetary advantage over the other clubs, isn't impressive, and shouldn't be lauded as such?

Your Nan could win it up here eh?

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don't really blame Old Firm fans for this. They live in their own wee bubble where they all tell each other what a big deal it is and treat it with such drama.

Remember the pictures of the Celtic fans crying at Fir Park in 2005? These are fans who had seen their team win the league in 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, and they were fucking greeting! This is the bubble they inhabit.

And it's reinforced by a fawning media who prattle on about it being a big deal because they need to pander to their audience.

They probably genuinely believe it's a big deal. I've lived most of my adult life in England and I reckon I could show most of my football-watching friends a picture of Scott Brown and they'd have no idea who he was. And absolutely nobody outside their wee bubble cares about what he's won. But this is their world.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yes, exaggerating the numerical claim grossly absolutely helps dispel the myth about mental gymnastics.

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Your Nan could win it up here eh?

I read his post in a talk-sport type accent but he used words with more than two syllables to be fair so didn’t feel as genuine as I’d hoped.

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't really blame Old Firm fans for this. They live in their own wee bubble where they all tell each other what a big deal it is and treat it with such drama.

Remember the pictures of the Celtic fans crying at Fir Park in 2005? These are fans who had seen their team win the league in 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, and they were fucking greeting! This is the bubble they inhabit.

And it's reinforced by a fawning media who prattle on about it being a big deal because they need to pander to their audience.

They probably genuinely believe it's a big deal. I've lived most of my adult life in England and I reckon I could show most of my football-watching friends a picture of Scott Brown and they'd have no idea who he was. And absolutely nobody outside their wee bubble cares about what he's won. But this is their world.

I think most would know who he was.  He was the Scotland captain, but there's a difference between the my nan stuff from a Nigel who has only ever watched the EPL, and a Scottish football fan know knows only Rangers or Celtic will ever win 95% of the trophies up for grabs.  The nan stuff relates to the quality of the league, rather than if it's a good achievement or not for Celtic to win the league every year.

I wouldn't expect the average Old Firm to grasp this, and they haven't.

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I mean, who really cares what English fans think of Scottish football?

Since when do we need to impress them or anyone else?

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yes, exaggerating the numerical claim grossly absolutely helps dispel the myth about mental gymnastics.

I read his post in a talk-sport type accent but he used words with more than two syllables to be fair so didn’t feel as genuine as I’d hoped.

Yeah, you're not really getting what mental gymnastics means are you?  I'd bow out if I were you.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I think most would know who he was.  He was the Scotland captain, but there's a difference between the my nan stuff from a Nigel who has only ever watched the EPL, and a Scottish football fan know knows only Rangers or Celtic will ever win 95% of the trophies up for grabs.  The nan stuff relates to the quality of the league, rather than if it's a good achievement or not for Celtic to win the league every year.

You’re arguing his achievements in Scottish football should be downplayed because of the quality he’s up against. 

I hate to tell you, but you’re very much closer to the “Nan” mob than you perhaps understand 

It’s not a you don’t care because he doesn’t play for your club argument, which would be understandable

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You are trying to explain to them why their whole worldview is a sham. Expect resistance. 

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Adrian Durham would be proud seeing some of the arguments in here 

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

You’re arguing his achievements in Scottish football should be downplayed because of the quality he’s up against. 

I hate to tell you, but you’re very much closer to the “Nan” mob than you perhaps understand 

It’s not a you don’t care because he doesn’t play for your club argument, which would be understandable

The two points are clearly different.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You are trying to explain to them why their whole worldview is a sham. Expect resistance. 

Don't Rangers fans claim to be the worlds most successful football club because they've won more 2 horse races than Celtic?

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah, you're not really getting what mental gymnastics means are you?  I'd bow out if I were you.

I do I just felt it was apt that you were grossly exaggerating and spiralling at the same time made it even more apt and literal. 

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I do I just felt it was apt that you were grossly exaggerating and spiralling at the same time made it even more apt and literal. 

It certainly was neither of those things.

17 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Adrian Durham would be proud seeing some of the arguments in here 

Calling him Durhamesque is a bit harsh, more of a rambling bricky/scaffolder from Slough phoning in on the drive home.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

It really doesn't.

The 'my nan' is a jibe at the fact that Celtic and Rangers, with their current squads, wouldn't win the SP with any current PL team parachuted into it.  Said PL would win it handsomely.  Which I think is complete shite, as would most on here.

His achievements are downplayed as 95% of them were won in a 1 horse race (with a very weak 2nd horse in the race for the last 2 years).  That's an undeniable fact.

It’s very much a deniable fact. Scott Brown won 5 major trophies before Rangers imploded so by my maths that’s just over 20% of his total honours so your 95% of them won in a 1 horse race remark isn’t really fact at all, it’s just your opinion and a pretty weak one at it.

Edited by Jinky67

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It’s very much a deniable fact. Scott Brown won 5 major trophies before Rangers imploded so by my maths that’s just over 20% of his total honours so your 95% of them won in a 1 horse race remark isn’t really fact at all, it’s just your opinion and a pretty weak one at it.

Aye no bother Scott Steiner.

How is Scott Brown winning all those trophies in a 1 horse race an opinion you fucking lunatic? 80% or my arbitrary, but nearly correct estimate of 95% doesn't change the fact.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

As for Scott Brown being a Celtic Legend…

Well that’s such an individual opinion and probably a generational one also 

Let’s just say he’s more of a “legend” than some of the ex players you’ll see described as such in the media. 

I'd say you've got a point with that one.