Scott Brown retires

8 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s pretty funny seeing the mental gymnastics from some people to avoid giving Scott Brown an inch of credit here

Downplaying his achievements in Scotland really does sound like the “my Nan” mob from down south. 

I'd say Scott Brown is getting a decent and we'll deserved level of credit from the vast majority of folk posting here. The fact that the rest of the Scottish football public don't bow down and genuflect before the man as we have been instructed by his acolytes in the Old Firm establishment press is hardly a surprise, surely ?

13 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s pretty funny seeing the mental gymnastics from some people to avoid giving Scott Brown an inch of credit here

Downplaying his achievements in Scotland really does sound like the “my Nan” mob from down south. 

It really doesn't.

The 'my nan' is a jibe at the fact that Celtic and Rangers, with their current squads, wouldn't win the SP with any current PL team parachuted into it.  Said PL would win it handsomely.  Which I think is complete shite, as would most on here.

His achievements are downplayed as 95% of them were won in a 1 horse race (with a very weak 2nd horse in the race for the last 2 years).  That's an undeniable fact.

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

I'd say Scott Brown is getting a decent and we'll deserved level of credit from the vast majority of folk posting here. The fact that the rest of the Scottish football public don't bow down and genuflect before the man as we have been instructed by his acolytes in the Old Firm establishment press is hardly a surprise, surely ?

Is anyone here suggesting the Scottish football public should bow down to him?

I just find it funny seeing the reaction of some people. 

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It really doesn't.

The 'my nan' is a jibe at the fact that Celtic and Rangers, with their current squads, wouldn't win the SP with any current PL team parachuted into it.  Said PL would win it handsomely.  Which I think is complete shite, as would most on here.

His achievements are downplayed as 95% of them were won in a 1 horse race (with a very weak 2nd horse in the race for the last 2 years).  That's an undeniable fact.

As I said, the mental gymnastics 

GIF by FOX International Channels

Edit: Also just for a laugh, I’m not sure many EPL clubs could survive in Scotland with the limited finances, they’d need to be downsizing a lot up here

Edited by Clown Job

The ‘lack of ambition’ thing I find strange, he likely wasn’t going to end up at a regular European level club so I’m struggling to see a EPL mid table club as a more ambitious option than Celtic. For most it’s understandably cash but for the likes of Armstrong etc it sounds nicer if you say ambition. The EPL in general does clearly have a pull though.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The ‘lack of ambition’ thing I find strange, he likely wasn’t going to end up at a regular European level club so I’m struggling to see a EPL mid table club as a more ambitious option than Celtic. For most it’s understandably cash but for the likes of Armstrong etc it sounds nicer if you say ambition. The EPL in general does clearly have a pull though.

I might be in a minority here but I don’t w**k myself into a coma at the thought of players moving down south

Its only Celtic and Scottish football I’m interested in.

You’d never hear me moaning about players not wanting to move abroad. 

2 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

It's not news.  It's an opinion.

I'm interested that you see this as controversial.

Considering that the Scottish league, like many other smaller leagues, has lost the prestige it once had, on what basis would you consider a player who never played anywhere else, never succeeded in Europe, and never played at an international tournament eligible to be considered among Scottish football's big hitters?

Scott Brown would probably come up as a Pointless answer in most European countries if the category was Champions League captains.

Really rated him as a youngster. I remember being asked by a welsh colleague who was doing some online manager game to recommend a promising young player from Scotland and i said Brown. Even ahead of young Dandies breaking through like Considine, Foster or Stewart. 

He never seemed to kick on at Celtic but was still very good. He always got the upper hand against our midfield until about 2020.

His impunity and arrogance was horrible as an opposition fan. Still can't understand how he could jump on Marley Watkins, nowhere near the ball,  land on his thigh and not even concede a free kick. 

I really didn't want him at Pittodrie. He has won me over from complete hatred to mild dislike. 

I don't subscribe to the view that he was good for the first few months. I thought his first few games were good then good games started getting interspersed with poor ones. Then the poor ones became more frequent. I'd say he was at 1 decent game in 3 by December. 

No sign of the leadership we were promised. 

Won't be missed but i don't bear any real ill will. 

6 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

As I said, the mental gymnastics 

GIF by FOX International Channels

The surefire sign of the conceding of a debate; just repeat the last thing you said.

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I might be in a minority here but I don’t w**k myself into a coma at the thought of players moving down south

Its only Celtic and Scottish football I’m interested in.

You’d never hear me moaning about players not wanting to move abroad. 

I always find it daft when people criticise someone for lacking ambition etc. It's absolutely none of my business whether another person wishes to uproot their family and move to a different country.

But when judging someone's career it's 100% relevant.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

The surefire sign of the conceding of a debate; just repeat the last thing you said.

See my edit.

Couldnt really give a f**k about English football to be honest

If I did I’d support an English team

Still not sure how many EPL clubs could survive in Scotland without major downgrading. 

Scott Brown done the business for a Celtic, year after year and that’s all I care about.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I always find it daft when people criticise someone for lacking ambition etc. It's absolutely none of my business whether another person wishes to uproot their family and move to a different country.

But when judging someone's career it's 100% relevant.

23 trophies 

What an achievement 

Hope he enjoys his retirement if he decides to stop playing 

He’s certainly earned it 

6 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

See my edit.

Couldnt really give a f**k about English football to be honest

If I did I’d support an English team

Still not sure how many EPL clubs could survive in Scotland without major downgrading. 

Scott Brown done the business for a Celtic, year after year and that’s all I care about.

A good point I doubt Norwich or another yo-yo club could horse the Scottish Premiership especially without EPL money which makes up for the majority of their income even when they spend a season or two out with it so it’s a strange argument to be making about them doing well here.

Edited by gannonball

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The ‘lack of ambition’ thing I find strange, he likely wasn’t going to end up at a regular European level club so I’m struggling to see a EPL mid table club as a more ambitious option than Celtic, for most it’s understandably cash but for the likes of Armstrong etc it sounds nicer if you say ambition. The EPL in general does clearly have a pull though.

This is a divided view by OF and non OF fans (and by most outside Scotland) 

OF fans see staying and winning trophies, collecting good money and playing in Europe where every 2-3yrs you get a result like Lazio or Dortmund is hugely appealing. It is appealing and every one on here would love to play football and if they got this then they'd be happy.

Non OF fans see Scotland as a 2 horse race in arguably the most financially uneven league in Europe (only PSG might have a bigger advantage) and play in Europe by default where in a numbers game you get the odd good result the same can be said of Palace beating City or Brentford beating Arsenal. The likes of Zagreb, Red Star Belgrade or Cluj can all offer this but the top players from these countries tend to move to the bigger leagues more than the OF. I think the OF may pay slightly more which may help in keeping them longer

On a different scale an average SPFL player say for Dundee Utd could potentially move to the best team in Ireland or Wales and win the league and get to play in Europe. We would argue the SPFL is a higher level and therefore criticise someone for moving to the league of Ireland.

After winning 1 or 2 league titles then moving like Armstrong did seems the best move, he's banked his trophies and now gets to play at the new Spurs stadium, against 2 of the recent CL winners, against the likes of De Bruyne and Guardiola, at Old Trafford etc. etc.. He gets a huge wage increase and as most employees feel they want to earn what they are worth. I believe 95% plus of players would move for a decent pay rise as they want to get their market value. In the EPL the most unappealing game is possibly Burnley away which is arguably still a bigger game than Hearts away which would be the OF's next biggest league game after each other. A player who believes in their ability want to test themselves at the highest level they can and the EPL currently is the top league.

After umpteen trebles and titles how can it be motivating beating St Johnstone and Livi most weeks? Most outside the OF bubble see this as staying in a comfort zone. OF fans don't and the two views will remain divided.

As for Scott Brown being a Celtic Legend…

Well that’s such an individual opinion and probably a generational one also 

Let’s just say he’s more of a “legend” than some of the ex players you’ll see described as such in the media. 

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

This is a divided view by OF and non OF fans (and by most outside Scotland) 

OF fans see staying and winning trophies, collecting good money and playing in Europe where every 2-3yrs you get a result like Lazio or Dortmund is hugely appealing. It is appealing and every one on here would love to play football and if they got this then they'd be happy.

Non OF fans see Scotland as a 2 horse race in arguably the most financially uneven league in Europe (only PSG might have a bigger advantage) and play in Europe by default where in a numbers game you get the odd good result the same can be said of Palace beating City or Brentford beating Arsenal. The likes of Zagreb, Red Star Belgrade or Cluj can all offer this but the top players from these countries tend to move to the bigger leagues more than the OF. I think the OF may pay slightly more which may help in keeping them longer

On a different scale an average SPFL player say for Dundee Utd could potentially move to the best team in Ireland or Wales and win the league and get to play in Europe. We would argue the SPFL is a higher level and therefore criticise someone for moving to the league of Ireland.

After winning 1 or 2 league titles then moving like Armstrong did seems the best move, he's banked his trophies and now gets to play at the new Spurs stadium, against 2 of the recent CL winners, against the likes of De Bruyne and Guardiola, at Old Trafford etc. etc.. He gets a huge wage increase and as most employees feel they want to earn what they are worth. I believe 95% plus of players would move for a decent pay rise as they want to get their market value. In the EPL the most unappealing game is possibly Burnley away which is arguably still a bigger game than Hearts away which would be the OF's next biggest league game after each other. A player who believes in their ability want to test themselves at the highest level they can and the EPL currently is the top league.

After umpteen trebles and titles how can it be motivating beating St Johnstone and Livi most weeks? Most outside the OF bubble see this as staying in a comfort zone. OF fans don't and the two views will remain divided.

I see pros and cons to both tbh. I get why Tierney and Armstrong left and I also understand why Brown and McGregor stayed. I just find it strange why people feel the need to totally put down our game as if you need to get as far away from it as possible. Players coming up from south have also said they were taken aback by the intensity and frequency of games and requirements to win every week at Celtic so I think this whole staying for a jolly isn’t really true tbh.

Edited by gannonball