Scott Brown retires

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Still, your insight is really that he struggled against much better players. Most players do? 

And he wouldn’t be the first Scottish player to try and compensate for being technically deficient by being aggressive. 

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

It still doesn’t really make sense tbh , Pirlo made a c**t out of far better players than Scott Brown so I’m not exactly really sure of the merits of this.

As alluded to above. He had a lot of quality as a player and I wanted him at Rangers in the Hibs days I just thought it was funny he was full of bravado and crumbled when up against better players. I was making a shitpost about his attitude and temper. I dare say if had concentrated his passion a bit better he could have been a much better player.

6 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Paul Hartley had the lot. Vision, passing, eye for goal, energy. Excellent all round box to box midfielder. Would like to see Hartley’s record against Hibs with Brown in the line up. 

Hartley I really liked at Celtic and was another like Brown who had to play further back when at Celtic and was great there both for Celtic and Scotland. The problem for Hartley is that he was nearly 30 when he started playing more central when he really came in to his own. Technically a better player than Brown for me but it took a long time for him to realise his position and potential.

6 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

As alluded to above. He had a lot of quality as a player and I wanted him at Rangers in the Hibs days I just thought it was funny he was full of bravado and crumbled when up against better players. I was making a shitpost about his attitude and temper. I dare say if had concentrated his passion a bit better he could have been a much better player.

Did he crumble when we played Milan at Celtic Park and beat them? 

I seem to remember him being outstanding in that game against a midfield of Pirlo, Kaka, Gattuso and Seedorf. There are other occasions where he has been excellent against top quality players however aye your 1 clip defines his entire career. 

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

If you are going to add context it’s probably best not to pick an era of Scottish Football where the dominant team where spending above their means in what was pretty much financial doping. Celtic done absolutely nothing wrong to find themselves in the position they were while Brown was captain.

You cited players such as McStay and Burns and both club legends but played in some average Celtic teams and have both pretty risible European records too.

You also can’t blame Scott Brown for playing in an era where our national team wasn’t as strong as it was in the 80’s and 90‘s

Not blaming him for anything.

Just pointing out that there's nothing of substance to hang his career on.

That's not his fault, but it's a fact. Hoovering up un-loseable trophies with a side with a budget on a different planet to its competitors and with its main rival removed isn't substantial.

It's a choice he made, and that's up to him. But he's done nothing remarkable, and hardly anybody outside Scotland will have much idea who he is. Why would they?

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Hartley I really liked at Celtic and was another like Brown who had to play further back when at Celtic and was great there both for Celtic and Scotland. The problem for Hartley is that he was nearly 30 when he started playing more central when he really came in to his own. Technically a better player than Brown for me but it took a long time for him to realise his position and potential.

I think that is probably fair and it highlights how posters from different clubs can see things so differently. The mid to late twenties Paul Hartley at HMFC was an absolutely wonderful player, the complete midfielder. At Hibs he was a frustrated winger who couldn’t impose himself on the game. At Celtic he was decreasing in powers and played further back. At Aberdeen he was just topping up his pension.

At their peak quality, Hartley was a far better all round player than. Brown though.

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Did he crumble when we played Milan at Celtic Park and beat them? 

I seem to remember him being outstanding in that game against a midfield of Pirlo, Kaka, Gattuso and Seedorf. There are other occasions where he has been excellent against top quality players however aye your 1 clip defines his entire career. 

Can't say I watched that one. My memory of seeing him in big games was that he faded away quite regularly. I think the game where "the Broony" was created was probably the best I've seen him when up against top opposition. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

If Scott Brown was only good for running around kicking folk, why did Paul Paton bot have as good a career?

Did he run around slightly less and kick folk a bit more softly?

I never said that, Brown was a very able footballer and a well rounded midfielder I just think he lost the rag too much and spent too much of his time trying to kick people. If you had read my post before this you'd see I actually said I think he could have had a better career (ie. A prem move) if he had focused his anger a bit better.

18 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Is there really a difference? 😂 Or is it the fact i didn’t state Celtic legend and just said legend that upsets you? Because i would have assumed most people would be able to connect the dots on that one  

Of course there's a difference !!!! Just being a 'Celtic legend' or indeed 'Rangers', 'Hearts', 'Aberdeen' or any other 'club legend' does not automatically make a player a national 'legend' full stop. In certain cases, a Jimmy McGrory, a Billy McNeill or a Jimmy Johnstone (to stick to purely Celtic examples)then it does.  Scott Brown is not in that category. But then that's merely my opinion.

2 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Rangers logic: nothing that happened in the Scottish Premiership from 2012-2020 counts because they were sh*te.

The standard of the league for most of that time was a lot higher than it is now.

You could ask him how they got on in the Championship for one of those seasons though. Would be interesting to see the reply.

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Rangers logic: nothing that happened in the Scottish Premiership from 2012-2020 counts because they were sh*te.

The standard of the league for most of that time was a lot higher than it is now.

I don’t think anyone is saying that it doesn’t count, but the fact remains during that period Celtic had no credible domestic rival challenging them for the league, regardless whether you believe the standard was higher or not.

Edited by AJF

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Would agree Aberdeen and Dundee Utd back then were remarkably than any team out with us and Rangers last season and possibly this season too. Motherwell had decent players too but couldn’t hold them for more than a season.I also find it funny that they claim as if there was no real challenge to any of the quadruple treble trophy’s but at the same time then say they could have won the league when it was called :unsure2:

Edited by gannonball

41 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I think a moment which perfectly sums up his entire persona/ability was when celtc were playing Juventus in the champions league... he went flying into a tackle and lazily took out Pirlo then proceeded to bawl at the referee for giving a free kick. Pirlo looked bemused at this screaming man child and 2 minutes later proceeded to skin f**k out of him and really showed the levels of difference for the following 90 mins without resorting to kicking other players.

Pirlo was probably one of the few midfielders who would have slotted seamlessly into Pep Guardiola's Barcelona side of 2009-2012. A Rolls Royce of a player up there with Xavi and Iniesta.

I have things I could say Scott Brown should have done.... playing in the English Premiership or abroad being one of them. But coming off second best to Pirlo is never one of them. 

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that it doesn’t count, but the fact remains during that period Celtic had no credible domestic rival challenging them for the league, regardless whether you believe the standard was higher or not.

Just to point out that both Aberdeen and Hearts were closer to Celtic in 15/16 than Celtic were to Rangers last season.

In 14/15 and 15/16 Aberdeen were as close to Celtic as Rangers are now at the same point of the season.

Would you say that Celtic haven’t had a credible challenge this season?

Of course there's a difference !!!! Just being a 'Celtic legend' or indeed 'Rangers', 'Hearts', 'Aberdeen' or any other 'club legend' does not automatically make a player a national 'legend' full stop. In certain cases, a Jimmy McGrory, a Billy McNeill or a Jimmy Johnstone (to stick to purely Celtic examples)then it does.  Scott Brown is not in that category. But then that's merely my opinion.

In more common usage Legend is somewhere between history and myth

In that sense it’s quite appropriate

12 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's entirely his business where he lives and works and I won't criticise him for staying in Scotland. He made a load of cash and won a bunch of medals, albeit he couldn't have failed to win most of them.

But let's not pretend he's some big deal in the pantheon of Scottish footballers. He really isn't.

No achievements outside Scotland. No major tournaments with Scotland. Loads of medals won with no opposition.

He's made a load of money from football and set himself up for life. That's a great thing. But he's in no way a big deal.

Let's be honest, he's a dick.

Whatever we think of Scott Brown if our criteria for judging a Scottish player is that he must have achievements outside Scotland we've given up on Scottish football completely.  One individual can't transform our international side or our club sides into winners at international or European level:  that would be preposterously high bar to set.  That leaves success playing in a bigger country as the only realistic hope of meeting your criteria for being a "big deal in the pantheon of Scottish footballers".

So any Scottish player who wants to be considered one of the greats must get out of Scotland.  If that's true the state of Scottish football is even grimmer than I thought, and believe me I already thought it was grim.

22 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Using your own logic if i was claiming he was a national legend wouldn’t i have to say so?

Or you just taking pedantry as far as you can?