Scott Brown retires

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Gerrard was there for the majority of those trophies we were mainly speaking about ? When you factor wage budgets and player trading we aren’t worlds apart for a ‘credible challenge’. Rangers should have at the very least won a cup really but Browns mentality helped make sure we did win every single one, to the point it probably papered over the cracks a bit too much in Lennons tenure.

My main point is that Brown’s hard man, superior act usually disappeared when he faced a decent side and things weren’t going his way to the extent a lot of his influence on matches went with it.  If you disagree, fair enough.

I will reiterate though, that’s not to say he wasn’t a good player, that’s not to say his achievements are not great and that’s not to say I wouldn’t have had him at Rangers. Basically, I’m taking pleasure in criticising s guy I hate 😂

I didn’t like his pantomime villain act, even at Aberdeen. But I have to say, the amount of players that fell for it was astounding. 

I can’t think of a more obvious wind up merchant over so many years and watching opposition player after opposition player have an absolute heads gone with him. 

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

My main point is that Brown’s hard man, superior act usually disappeared when he faced a decent side and things weren’t going his way to the extent a lot of his influence on matches went with it.  If you disagree, fair enough.

I will reiterate though, that’s not to say he wasn’t a good player, that’s not to say his achievements are not great and that’s not to say I wouldn’t have had him at Rangers. Basically, I’m taking pleasure in criticising s guy I hate 😂

Can you repeat that post again in case anyone missed it the 4th time around? 

13 minutes ago, coprolite said:

A recycling centre is a place you can take your old stuff to to get rid of it. Some people use them as an alternative to piling shite up in their front garden. 

I tried to post various Aberdeen squad photos at Pittodrie but it exceeded the allowed size attachments :( 

Edited by gannonball

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Fair enough, tbh fans do it with ‘Barry back pass’ which is also nonsense and its easy to pick flaws (especially when they choose to remember one game more than others)  in peoples careers when they have been in the limelight for so long.  

Edited by gannonball

51 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Would you not say the best people to decide if he is worthy of that moniker are the fans of the clubs he played for? 

I could call you a c**t (not that you are) and people wouldn’t blink an eye and pass the post by but to have the audacity to call one of the most successful captains of my club a legend? How dare i 😂

Says a lot about the mindset of people on here and that their opinion of Brown is driven purely by emotion  

Scott Brown may Indeed be a 'Celtic legend' , in which case say so rather than the frankly purely driven by emotion , statement, "Legend, no more to be said". 

Personally, from my boyhood days I would cite the two Bobbys, Murdoch & Lennox, Tommy Gemmell etc etc as 'Celtic legends' but I wouldn't insist, as you appear to do, that all other fans of all other clubs have also to accept them as 'legends'. 

36 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Gerrard was there for the majority of those trophies we were mainly speaking about ? When you factor wage budgets and player trading we aren’t worlds apart for a ‘credible challenge’. Rangers should have at the very least won a cup really but Browns mentality helped make sure we did win every single one, to the point it probably papered over the cracks a bit too much in Lennons tenure.

If Brown’s “mentality” is so strong how have Aberdeen sunk like a stone with him as captain & assistant manager? How did Celtic blow the 10 in a row season in the face of the first serious challenge they’d had in that time? Where did this “mentality” disappear to on international duty and European nights? 

I don’t think dominating games and then jumping up and down in the faces of guys who you’ve just pumped 4 or 5 nil and who earn a fraction of what you do indicates a strong mentality. Quite the opposite in fact. He is the very definition of a flat track bully. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Just now, Junior_Arab said:

If Brown’s “mentality” is so strong how have Aberdeen sunk like a stone with him as captain & assistant manager? How did Celtic blow the 10 in a row season in the face of the first serious challenge they’d had in that time? Where did this “mentality” disappear to on international duty and European nights? 

I don’t think dominating games and then jumping up and down in the faces of guys who you’ve just pumped 4 or 5 nil and who earn a fraction of what you do indicates a strong mentality. Quite the opposite in fact. 

I can’t really speak for Aberdeen but by most accounts on here he was fine till December then got injured and has been blowing out his arse since struggling for fitness. I think appointing a rookie manager and assistant who is also your captain in hindsight is quite a naive decision tbh.

I don’t blame Brown in the slightest for losing the last league season, I wanted him to stay another season to help the transition. I have no idea what your rambling on about mentality on European and international nights he still had the same mentality, tbh I’m starting to realise that your post is more of a rant that doesn’t really make sense so I’m struggling to reply to it. Brown was always in every players face and usually only lorded it up when fans or players were targeting him and would use it to his advantage, hefty score line or otherwise.

Do we have evidence to back up the claims that Brown and McGregor 'chose' to stay in Scotland instead of moving abroad?  As in clubs actually put bids in for them?

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Do we have evidence to back up the claims that Brown and McGregor 'chose' to stay in Scotland instead of moving abroad?  As in clubs actually put bids in for them?

I think both did have the opportunity iirc. Or at the very least proper interest. Brown mentioned something about a club (Tottenham?) being interested in his autobiography and McGregor mentioned about  Leicester making a bid for him before being made captain. I think nowadays players put the feelers out through their agent which I’m guessing neither were that fussed about kicking up a fuss to leave considering Celtic wouldn’t have wanted either player to leave.

Edited by gannonball

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yes.  Spurs, Aston Villa and Middlesboro all bid for Brown when at Hibernian.  He made it clear he wanted to stay in Scotland and sign for Rangers - until Celtic turned up :lol: 

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

A complete waste of a talent who like so many others chose to booze, kebab and silk cut his career away safe in the knowledge that he only had to be better than one other team to get the undying adulation of idiots.

Thankfully modern Scottish players don't seem to have such limited ambition and we are reaping the rewards.

Still embarrassed for him against Poland at Hampden running about like a bairn chasing a balloon in a gale trying to get near the Polish midfielders.

I think a moment which perfectly sums up his entire persona/ability was when celtc were playing Juventus in the champions league... he went flying into a tackle and lazily took out Pirlo then proceeded to bawl at the referee for giving a free kick. Pirlo looked bemused at this screaming man child and 2 minutes later proceeded to skin f**k out of him and really showed the levels of difference for the following 90 mins without resorting to kicking other players.

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

2 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I think a moment which perfectly sums up his entire persona/ability was when celtc were playing Juventus in the champions league... he went flying into a tackle and lazily took out Pirlo then proceeded to bawl at the referee for giving a free kick. Pirlo looked bemused at this screaming man child and 2 minutes later proceeded to skin f**k out of him and really showed the levels of difference for the following 90 mins without resorting to kicking other players.

Scott brown wasn’t as good as pirlo. That’s quite the insight you’ve given us. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Scott brown wasn’t as good as pirlo. That’s quite the insight you’ve given us. 

It was more about resorting to trying to kick players and further examples of him being a big fish in a wee pond that completely folded when playing superior players. As I said a perfect visual moment that described much of his career. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

That’s the thing about opinions, everyone’s entitled to their own. That’s a belter though.

Paul Hartley had the lot. Vision, passing, eye for goal, energy. Excellent all round box to box midfielder. Would like to see Hartley’s record against Hibs with Brown in the line up. 

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Scott Brown may Indeed be a 'Celtic legend' , in which case say so rather than the frankly purely driven by emotion , statement, "Legend, no more to be said". 

Is there really a difference? 😂 Or is it the fact i didn’t state Celtic legend and just said legend that upsets you? Because i would have assumed most people would be able to connect the dots on that one  

5 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

It was more about resorting to trying to kick players and further examples of him being a big fish in a wee pond that completely folded when playing superior players. As I said a perfect visual moment that described much of his career. 

Still, your insight is really that he struggled against much better players. Most players do? 

And he wouldn’t be the first Scottish player to try and compensate for being technically deficient by being aggressive. 

4 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

It still doesn’t really make sense tbh , Pirlo made a c**t out of far better players than Scott Brown so I’m not exactly really sure of the merits of this.

10 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Scott Brown done by one of the most gifted midfielders of his generation and that’s somehow a stick to beat him with 😂

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Edited by Jinky67