Falkirk v Diamonds

It's a very strange one for me at the moment. It has always been been a big deal when we beat Falkirk, partly because there has always been a traditional rivalry between the club's stretching back to when I was a young lad in the late 80s and early 90s and partly because good results against them were in short supply for a long time. But now, nothing, it's like beating Peterhead or Alloa. That's the level of emotion I'm getting this evening. I'm actually more worried about Falkirk than smug. You are exactly where we were a decade or so ago when Ballantyne put us into managed decline and appointed a series of incompetent managers. I have no idea what the answer is and in truth it's a shame to see on some levels. It took us a long time to get where we are currently and I can see that long road ahead for you guys.

Edited by cb_diamond

It's a very strange one for me at the moment. It has always been been a big deal when we beat Falkirk, partly because there has always been a traditional rivalry between the club's stretching back to when I was a young lad in the late 80s and early 90s and partly because good results against them were in short supply for a long time. But now, nothing, it's like beating Peterhead or Alloa. That's the level of emotion I'm getting this evening. I'm actually more worried about Falkirk than smug. You are exactly where we were a decade or so ago when Ballantyne put us into managed decline and appointed a series of incompetent managers. I have no idea what the answer is and in truth it's a shame to see on some levels. It took us a long time to get where we are currently and I can see that long road ahead for you guys.
Get it up them and their massive crowd I reckon.

11 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
15 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Get it up them and their massive crowd I reckon.

Honestly, even 6 months ago I was the same, can't even summon that up for them any more.

Agreed that we weren't at our best today but faced a side who is obviously lacking in confidence. It was pretty obvious however that Falkirk were hampered big time by the lack of movement up front from Griffiths and a midfield that were scared to lose the ball against us. Not complaining, it's great to win so comfortably without firing on all cylinders. Special praise however to our best defender and attacker today callum Smith...well done!

What a waste of a talent Griffiths has become. From the highs he brought to Scotland, and Celtic, to looking like a pub player in a few years for a couple of grand a week. That’ll cover his child maintenance payments.

Overall a fine win and had we our shooting boots on in that first 25 minutes we could have been at least two up. I was not sure who scored our first but he got lots of space and seemed to surprise Mutch. After that the Falkirk midfield were hardly pressing ours and that defence was as shaky as many posts on here ,suggested.  There were some good headers from the one Falkirk tactic in sight, but Currie did well. Airdrie looked more determined all the way through, and the 2nd goal let me relax. For a team that plays via the 3 midfielder's, there was loads of space for our full backs.

Must goals are a mix of bad defending or good attacks and Gallagher's third was that. The same could be said of Griffith's header and although he does seem to be there for corners and free kicks, that was a surprising substitution. 

It was great to see us win back the ball many times and McGill's 4th let me sit back in contented style.

As many have said Falkirk look worse than those earlier games and I have no idea why they appointed MR.

All to play for now that Cove have ended their home runs!

Atrocious from every Falkirk player. Not one of these players care a jot.  Airdrie were everything we were not - focussed, passionate, well drilled and determined. 7 shots to 19 - we played like we were up against the old firm - meek, scared and utterly gutless.

I detest these shocking lacklustre players. Mutch was flaky and poor. The defence was just shocking. McKay is probably in our top 10 of worst ever players. McCann was disgustingly bad, Watson awful. Williamson is such an annoying player - when he tries, he can take players on and he pinged a lovely assist to Grifftihs.  Then 10 mins later his half-arsed attempts gifted them a 4th goal.

Then you get to the midfield. Absolutely incredible that Rennie played Mills there for 90 mins.  Nothing against Mills, he tried but he is not a CDM in a hundred years, Telfer was lightweight garbage. Nesbitt was our worst player - everything he did, he did badly.  McGuffie was another ineffective weakling. Then up front - Kabia was awful. Griffiths took his goal well and his deliveries were very good, but he still looks badly unfit.

The subs were hopeless. Hetherington is one my all time least favourite players - pub player so badly out of his depth. Ross is another weakling shitebag. Morrison did nothing.

Rennie was anonymous all game. Why no subs were warming up when we were 1 and 2 nil down is just incredible and his shape, formation and lack of structure was an absolute embarrassment. Yet another hopeless appointment,  He has to go when his contract is up - worse than Sheerin if that is possible.

There was never anything to worry about here today. Falkirk are very much a mid table team with in all honesty little to play for. Airdrie meanwhile are properly challenging for the title. To think some of the Falkirk fans were concerned Aberdeen were going to swoop in for their “super” yank manger is quite frankly amazing. They reek of the Dunfermline team from a few years back (who finished 7th). Disappointing that Cove keep winning but worst case, I’d back this team to do the necessary in a play off.

39 minutes ago, diamondman said:

No real failures today.

Callum Smith MOM for me.

He gets it for his 2 goals but it could easily be McCabe or Agnew. Both were superb today. Agnew adds so much without ever being fancy so almost goes unnoticed. But his role is pivotal at times. He allows others round about him to play and go forward. McCabe reads the game better than anyone on the pitch. Just superb and his passing and vision is excellent. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Except for his outstanding work rate and superb goal of course..... 

Gallagher gets a bit of stick from some fans, but he is a guarantee of at least 12-15 goals in a full season. In the initial Covid shortened season he was on 14 goals when the season was shortened. Last season he scored 8 in the 22 game season (so fair to assume he would have comfortably got double figures in 36 game season). This season he's on 10 goals with 7 games to play. Even in the season before he signed with us when he was at Dumbarton he scored 14. All that is without hitting penalties which I'm sure he'd do if we hadn't had good takers in Carrick and McCabe.

It's maybe not a headline goal ratio but players who score more than that at this level are not easy to find and cost more than we can probably afford. No doubt there are games where he has a bit of a nightmare in terms of link up play and missing the odd sitter, but his overall contribution over a season is excellent. I think he's a really important player for us.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Gallagher gets a bit of stick from some fans, but he is a guarantee of at least 12-15 goals in a full season. In the initial Covid shortened season he was on 14 goals when the season was shortened. Last season he scored 8 in the 22 game season (so fair to assume he would have comfortably got double figures in 36 game season). This season he's on 10 goals with 7 games to play. Even in the season before he signed with us when he was at Dumbarton he scored 14. All that is without hitting penalties which I'm sure he'd do if we hadn't had good takers in Carrick and McCabe.

It's maybe not a headline goal ratio but players who score more than that at this level are not easy to find and cost more than we can probably afford. No doubt there are games where he has a bit of a nightmare in terms of link up play and missing the odd sitter, but his overall contribution over a season is excellent. I think he's a really important for us.

Agreed. As you say, there's times where he can be frustrating when he's constantly caught offside or missing the odd great chance and while he does put in a good shift, I think at times it can come across as if he's not working hard enough, even though that's not the case. Every summer people want us to sign a mythical striker who will come in and score 20+ goals and while Cove have two of them, most other teams don't have anyone like that available, even in the Championship there aren't too many players like that. Other than Cove, Gallagher would start for every team in this league and probably be their best striker. He's not a particularly flashy player, most of his goals are tap-ins and he doesn't have many outstanding physical attributes, but knowing where to be when the ball comes into the box is a great and probably underrated skill to have. He's not the quickest, strongest or best technical striker but for an all round number 9 there's not many better proven options at this level. Murray obviously has a lot of trust in him given he brought him to the club after working with him previously, making him vice-captain this season and while there's times when he drops out the team for a few games, he always ends up working his way back in by scoring some vital goals.