Clubs never to have appeared on live TV

Lurkst

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm (almost) certain Ross County v Fraserburgh and one or both of the Huntly v Cove and Huntly v Fraserburgh Highland League Cup Finals was live on Grampian in the mid 90s but can't find anything to confirm it.

There was also the qualifying cup which might be playing tricks with my memory too. 

In summary this post is worthless.

I remember seeing footage on YouTube a wee while ago which was of live coverage of a Highland League Cup Final. Might have been featuring Ross County but couldn't be sure.

2 hours ago, German Jag said:

Kilbirnie Ladeside against Rob Roy in 1977 was televised. First to be so according to here.

Thanks, I've added this. I would guess that every final between 1977 and some point in the mid 2000s was on live on STV, but some are unconfirmed. There was then a brief hiatus, but I think every single one since 2009 has been on BBC Alba. The current teams who would have featured in that earlier STV era, but who aren't already listed above, are Bathgate Thistle (2008), Benburb (1979), Cumnock (1978, 1989, 2008), East Kilbride Thistle (1983), Johnstone Burgh (2000), Newtongrange Star (1991), Petershill (1985, 1988), Renfrew (2001).

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I remember seeing footage on YouTube a wee while ago which was of live coverage of a Highland League Cup Final. Might have been featuring Ross County but couldn't be sure

I distinctly remember Frank Gilfeather being the commentator and making out as if it was the Hampden riot all over again because someone in the crowd had brought a whistle. 

Not done enough IMO. Huge laughs.

The 2016/17 Irn-Bru Cup tie between Turriff United v Hibs was live on TV, and IIRC was the first game involving an SHFL side to be shown live. 

The Highland League Cup/North of Scotland Cup finals were on TV every year for a spell in the 1990's but I very much doubt they were live. Usual story is they were filmed and the highlights appeared the next day or following Sunday on Grampian. Frank Gilfeather regularly showed up to talk us through the games, while Hazel Irvine was present for at least one of the North Cup games. 

On 09/03/2022 at 15:05, Jimmy Shaker said:

The 2016/17 Irn-Bru Cup tie between Turriff United v Hibs was live on TV, and IIRC was the first game involving an SHFL side to be shown live. 

The Highland League Cup/North of Scotland Cup finals were on TV every year for a spell in the 1990's but I very much doubt they were live. Usual story is they were filmed and the highlights appeared the next day or following Sunday on Grampian. Frank Gilfeather regularly showed up to talk us through the games, while Hazel Irvine was present for at least one of the North Cup games. 

This would make sense as I remember them being shown on a Sunday.

On 09/03/2022 at 15:05, Jimmy Shaker said:

Thanks for this - I've added Turriff to the list.

On 07/03/2022 at 16:44, craigkillie said:

Therefore of the SPFL clubs, excluding games against the Old Firm only possibly rules out Albion Rovers, Montrose and Stirling Albion

Stirling’s Scottish Cup replay away to the holders Inverness Caledonian Thistle on 19/01/2016 was live on Sky Sports.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/inverness-ct-vs-stirling-albion-to-be-televised/

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2022 at 16:44, craigkillie said:

Every single club in the Premiership and Championship definitely has, and of the list in this (now out of date) post of the most recent TV appearances for each club, only 8 featured Rangers or Celtic.

A quick search found the following five games:

Clyde v Motherwell (League Cup, 2018)
Stranraer v Morton (League 1, 2015)
Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline (Championship play-offs, 2014)
Brechin City v East Fife (League 1, 2016)
Raith Rovers v Annan Athletic (Challenge Cup, 2013).

Therefore of the SPFL clubs, excluding games against the Old Firm only possibly rules out Albion Rovers, Montrose and Stirling Albion, and of the non-SPFL clubs I can only think of East Kilbride, Fraserburgh, Berwick, East Stirlingshire and Brechin who have been shown on TV against either of them. Of those, Brechin have been on TV several times against other clubs (eg their fateful Championship play-off final v Alloa in 2017) and Berwick were on v Gretna earlier this year. No idea about East Kilbride, Fraserburgh or East Stirlingshire.

We also had other live games.

v Brechin 1st Division Play Off Final (x2)

V Partick Challenge Cup Semi Final 2012

V Rangers Scottish Cup 2016

V Celtic Colts Challenge Cup 2016

Berwixxk also had a live Scottish Cup game on Sky can't remember what year.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Would add Midlands League sides Tayport and Lochee United on STV in the Junior Cup final in 2005.

The last live domestic game to be shown on STV.
Auchinleck Talbot v Bathgate in 2006 was live on STV.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith must’ve been on TV when they played Rangers years ago surely? I have vague recollections of Keith being on Grampian sometime in the late 90s as well but that could’ve been highlights. 

Was there not a Caley Thistle against Clach game shown years ago as well? Again that was probably just highlights but I do remember thinking it was really odd to show it.   

Aye Forres-Rangers was defo a Saturday 3pm. I convinced a Rangers supporting mate to come to Clyde-Nairn County with me the same day and he spent the whole game checking their score, moaning that they weren't sticking double figures past them.

Edited by CM.

• 2 months later...