Mexico Football Deaths

I won't link to any of the tweets, as they're asbolutely brutal, but a match between Queretaro and Atlas in Mexico today ended when fans started fighting on the pitch, in the stands, and around the ground. Reported to be 17 people killed, with videos showing paramedics being attacked trying to help the injured, kids being attacked as their parents try to help them escape, and people trying to escape being stripped naked and stamped on by groups.

Wouldn't be shocked if they now lose the 2026 World Cup.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I won't link to any of the tweets, as they're asbolutely brutal, but a match between Queretaro and Atlas in Mexico today ended when fans started fighting on the pitch, in the stands, and around the ground. Reported to be 17 people killed, with videos showing paramedics being attacked trying to help the injured, kids being attacked as their parents try to help them escape, and people trying to escape being stripped naked and stamped on by groups.

Wouldn't be shocked if they now lose the 2026 World Cup.

The BBC report put up an hour ago is saying that there are no deaths. What source are you getting your info from? 

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

The BBC report put up an hour ago is saying that there are no deaths. What source are you getting your info from? 

Twitter 😂

I see theres differing numbers everywhere about injuries etc.

Seems a complete mess.

I came across some of the videos earlier and it’s pretty dreadful stuff. The official line just seems to be a bunch of injuries with a couple of them critical. Which obviously isn’t great at all, but considering some of the videos going about it would be a big positive if there were no deaths.

The fact other games were played after this as well is staggering. Pumas’ game ended up being postponed but others went ahead after these incidents, which is a really terrible look for the Mexican FA.

Edited by Nightmare

Horrible case, but I think losing the world cup is unlikely. England only got a slap on the wrist for the violence at the Euros final (a much higher profile game).

Mexico is a more violent society (for many reasons) so I'm not surprised the violence escalated further here.

Nobody deserves to be hurt, but let's hope the victims are mostly (or entirely) those who went looking for a fight.

6 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Horrible case, but I think losing the world cup is unlikely. England only got a slap on the wrist for the violence at the Euros final (a much higher profile game).

Mexico is a more violent society (for many reasons) so I'm not surprised the violence escalated further here.

Nobody deserves to be hurt, but let's hope the victims are mostly (or entirely) those who went looking for a fight.

1,000 or so people without a ticket breaking into Wembley, which was at 2/3 capacity due to covid (so there was plenty of space for these people to sit without risking a hillsborough situation) really isn’t the same as what’s happened here. Don’t get me wrong, the violence that night was completely unacceptable, but the end result was some pyrotechnics in the stadium, a handful of minor injuries, the Italian National anthem being booed and some pretty disgusting racial abuse online of the players who missed the penalties. England have been given a match behind closed doors for this and a second one suspended which seems like a fair punishment.

However, this incident has evidently caused major injuries and quite possibly deaths. It’s of a magnitude many times worse than the euro 2020 final. 

Furthermore, there are only three stadiums in Mexico that are due to host matches in 2026 meanwhile the USA has 17 candidate stadiums with 11 to be selected. It would be quite straightforward to strip Mexico of hosting rights and choose 14 stadiums in the USA instead. 

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

1,000 or so people without a ticket breaking into Wembley, which was at 2/3 capacity due to covid (so there was plenty of space for these people to sit without risking a hillsborough situation) really isn’t the same as what’s happened here. Don’t get me wrong, the violence that night was completely unacceptable, but the end result was some pyrotechnics in the stadium, a handful of minor injuries, the Italian National anthem being booed and some pretty disgusting racial abuse online of the players who missed the penalties. England have been given a match behind closed doors for this and a second one suspended which seems like a fair punishment.

However, this incident has evidently caused major injuries and quite possibly deaths. It’s of a magnitude many times worse than the euro 2020 final. 

Furthermore, there are only three stadiums in Mexico that are due to host matches in 2026 meanwhile the USA has 17 candidate stadiums with 11 to be selected. It would be quite straightforward to strip Mexico of hosting rights and choose 14 stadiums in the USA instead. 

Good post, I do think it's fair to give the context the Wembley game was a Euros final attracting far more scrutiny and security.

This is a league match. You can make clear parallels between hosting of a tournament and what happened at Wembley, and it's a less linear line between this match and Mexico jointly hosting tournament.

You are totally right that the bid didn't (and never has) needed Mexico so would be easy enough for them to change.

I really don't think it would make things any better though. Mexicos location is what makes it such a violent place.

One thing I do disagree with is that the Wembley could have become a Hillsborough, this wasn't an isolated one off incident and it could have easily escalated.

I believe the officials from Queretaro are reporting no deaths, but if you saw those videos there are certainly bodies lying limp which seem to disprove that narrative. Pretty disgusting from top to bottom, and this country wants to help hold a World Cup in a few years...

2 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Im sort of... trying to make some sense/context of this, first ive seen anything on it. Is it a derby match? Recent controversy between the clubs? Mexico's hyper violent cartel/police ramping up "on the streets" recently, which has spilled over into football?

I’m not sure if there’s any historical controversy/rivalry over something, but it’s not a local derby. Atlas play in Guadalajara (where their big rivals are Chivas), and Queretaro is over 200 miles away.

Seen it mentioned that Queretaro’s ultras group are known to be pretty violent, and security at the stadium looked very lax (there was one video where a security guard opened a gate to let fans at each other). Also some of the unverified Twitter chat seems to suggest that Atlas fans were heavily searched upon entry to the stadium but that the locals were allowed in with all kinds of weapons - which might suggest this was all planned somehow.

Local authorities still saying nobody died, and also that nobody has yet been arrested.

Forgive my naivety but I don't understand how the death count can be so high? I've not watched any videos but are the fans carrying blades or something like that or is it just kicking people in the head when on the ground? Usually people pull people away when someone's clearly knocked out and finished. Is there a linkage between the sheer violence Mexico sees regularly that lead to desensitisation and such violence perhaps?

I don't know anything about Mexico football culture are the narco types involved perhaps?? 

Horrendous scenes and likes others I'm struggling to fathom why this match proved a 'flashpoint', or how what transpired inside the ground - numerous reported deaths/etc. - could do so apparently unmolested.

In terms of WC 2026...

Back in 2012 there were 74 killed and 500+ injured during a premeditated riot - effectively a deliberate massacre - in Port Said during league game between Al Masry and Al Ahly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Said_Stadium_riot

Egypt happily hosted African Nations Cup 2019. Never underestimate the capacity of international football for shall we say 'moral ambivalence'.

EDIT: Indeed last month's ANC in Cameroon saw 8 people killed and 40+ injured in a crush during Last 16 tie. Stadium was back hosting games 10 days later for SFs.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Forgive my naivety but I don't understand how the death count can be so high? I've not watched any videos but are the fans carrying blades or something like that or is it just kicking people in the head when on the ground? Usually people pull people away when someone's clearly knocked out and finished. Is there a linkage between the sheer violence Mexico sees regularly that lead to desensitisation and such violence perhaps?

I don't know anything about Mexico football culture are the narco types involved perhaps?? 

You are being naive. I accidentally stumbled across a video on Twitter and the way they were behaving was sickening. Hordes of them kicking unconscious men in the head, stripping them naked and robbing them. Some did have weapons as well I think. Vile.

2 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

Taking the world cup away's an over reaction because of one game. If Scotland somehow got matches in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen for the 2028 Euros and the bigots rioted like this at an Old Firm game folk would accept Edinburgh and Aberdeen missing out? I doubt it.

When was the last time that riots at an old firm game led to dozens of deaths?