Vale of Leithen

21 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I would say that WW is a poor example. More to do with the rapid decline of the club than a statement on the standard of the league.
They went into the LL as EOS champions and for the first 4 seasons they gathered around 40 points and were capable of competing with the likes of Edinburgh City, Spartans and East Kilbride, while not disgracing themselves in the Scottish. In 14-15 they were fielding a strike force of Wayne McIntosh and Aaron Somerville, who was the league’s top scorer.

For various reasons they dropped to 12th in the 5th season although they gained 34 points, but the bottom fell out the following year when they gathered only 12 points and were relegated due to Selkirk folding.

Their demise has coincided with the impressive rise of the Rose 2 miles down the road, who are now a magnificent example of how a club should be run, and the magnet for any sponsorship in Midlothian,  yet they themselves were close to folding a few years back.
WW’s decline has been compounded by the recent passing away of two long term stalwarts of the club, and the retirement of another who was a long term administrator. Whitehill for many years were the senior club in Midlothian, and Newtongrange Star the top Junior club, yet I’ve not seen anybody draw conclusions from the fact that they’re also heading for tier 7.

WW would also have relegated had Selkirk finished the season & finished bottom. As Cove Rangers got promoted & Berwick Rangers relegated, number 15 in the Lowland League would have been relegated that season in that case, which was WW.

21 hours ago, stanley said:

Also worth looking at what's happened to the relegated teams. 

Hawick Royal Albert - tier 8 (heading for tier 9 next season)

Hawick will be tier 8 next season, the new EOS second division.

19 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I would say that WW is a poor example. More to do with the rapid decline of the club than a statement on the standard of the league.
They went into the LL as EOS champions and for the first 4 seasons they gathered around 40 points and were capable of competing with the likes of Edinburgh City, Spartans and East Kilbride, while not disgracing themselves in the Scottish. In 14-15 they were fielding a strike force of Wayne McIntosh and Aaron Somerville, who was the league’s top scorer.

For various reasons they dropped to 12th in the 5th season although they gained 34 points, but the bottom fell out the following year when they gathered only 12 points and were relegated due to Selkirk folding.

Their demise has coincided with the impressive rise of the Rose 2 miles down the road, who are now a magnificent example of how a club should be run, and the magnet for any sponsorship in Midlothian,  yet they themselves were close to folding a few years back.
WW’s decline has been compounded by the recent passing away of two long term stalwarts of the club, and the retirement of another who was a long term administrator. Whitehill for many years were the senior club in Midlothian, and Newtongrange Star the top Junior club, yet I’ve not seen anybody draw conclusions from the fact that they’re also heading for tier 7.

Agreed that they are different from the other clubs in that they have traditionally been a very strong non-league club. Point still stands that I think it will be a few years before a relegated Lowland League club comes back or even challenges for promotion (other than South sides). Had Whitehill Welfare been stronger and another team been relegated in their place, I think they also be battling relegation from the EoS Premier.

32 minutes ago, stanley said:

Agreed that they are different from the other clubs in that they have traditionally been a very strong non-league club. Point still stands that I think it will be a few years before a relegated Lowland League club comes back or even challenges for promotion (other than South sides). Had Whitehill Welfare been stronger and another team been relegated in their place, I think they also be battling relegation from the EoS Premier.

Absolutely. I don’t think that anybody at the club seriously believed they had a long term future at tier 5 when the LL was set up in 2013 but you would expect them to be a good fit for the EOS Prem , based on the players that have gone back and forth between WW and the Juniors over the years, plus their record in friendlies. The shape they’re in just now though, it’s a long way back for them. 

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

The shape they’re in just now though, it’s a long way back for them. 

Might no reach the LL ever again but I don't think a return to the premier league is outwith their capabilities. 

Been a very difficult 1st season for Andrew using a huge amount of trialists but I've seen a slight improvement recently especially against potential sides they could face next season.The cup tie v Leith will be interesting.

As this thread is about Vale I can see them being in yet another struggle next season as well. 

Theres at least half a dozen sides in the Premier who could easily hold their own in the LL and thats no counting the teams from the West.Jeanfield are probably one of the best sides I've seen this season and they're sitting well behind the pace in 4th. 

Gretna on the other hand have a far easier pathway back to the LL should they eventually go or a HFL side were to win the play offs. 

4 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Might no reach the LL ever again but I don't think a return to the premier league is outwith their capabilities. 

Been a very difficult 1st season for Andrew using a huge amount of trialists but I've seen a slight improvement recently especially against potential sides they could face next season.The cup tie v Leith will be interesting.

As this thread is about Vale I can see them being in yet another struggle next season as well. 

Theres at least half a dozen sides in the Premier who could easily hold their own in the LL and thats no counting the teams from the West.Jeanfield are probably one of the best sides I've seen this season and they're sitting well behind the pace in 4th. 

Gretna on the other hand have a far easier pathway back to the LL should they eventually go or a HFL side were to win the play offs. 

I assumed, too, that Gretna would go to the SoS, or even the WoS, at relegation from the LL but they are listed as current members of the East of Scotland FA so, maybe, they would end up in the EoS.

That could relegate 6 clubs out of EoS premier this season if the HL champion wins the Club 42 playoff and the EoS champion fails to win the tier 6 playoffs so definitely something to keep an eye on. Don't remember that ever being publicly clarified.

Another one for the future is whether Caledonian Braves' SoS membership where their reserves team is concerned has implications on where they would be relegated to.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Vale will finish rock bottom again next season, maybe they'll manage a win or two though.

Can only see a single point relegation for the Vale and another relegation battle for WW next season sadly. 

7 hours ago, Dev said:

I assumed, too, that Gretna would go to the SoS, or even the WoS, at relegation from the LL but they are listed as current members of the East of Scotland FA so, maybe, they would end up in the EoS.

Gretna 2008 go to the SoSFL. Have done since the start. A local FA doesn't have a bearing on where a club is relegated to. East Kilbride used to be in the EOSFA and would have been relegated to the SoSFL back before the WoSFL.

Braves are meant to go to the WoSFL despite being members of the SCFA and having a reserve side in the SoSFL

1 hour ago, Crow said:

another relegation battle for WW next season sadly. 

Managed to compete wi Kennoway and Oakley who could potentially be opponents next season even Dunbar in recent weeks.

As I stated i think might just have found their level and the cup tie v Leith gonnae be another interesting match up. 

Valid reasons another relegation battle might no be the case at WW. 

Edited by newcastle broon

49 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Managed to compete wi Kennoway and Oakley who could potentially be opponents next season even Dunbar in recent weeks.

As I stated i think might just have found their level and the cup tie v Leith gonnae be another interesting match up. 

Something positive I guess Newky. 

I've been to WW this season and to plenty of other clubs who'll (likely) be EOSFL First division next season and I don't think WW will look out of place there at all. At a guess, it's going to be a close league with Whitehill more than likely finishing around mid-table

On 09/04/2022 at 00:20, Dev said:

I'd have thought VOL & Gretna(if relegated) would choose the SOSFL over the EOSFL. 

10 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Going out with a whimper - 

GAME POSTPONED | Tomorrow’s game between @ValeLeithen and @EdinburghUniAFC has been postponed due @ValeLeithen being unable to field a team.

An absolute disgrace at Tier 5.   Another reflection on such a shambles of a league. What are they doing ? rolling fecking eggs ?

Newport Amateurs will be fielding a second team today in the Midlands Amateurs at about tier 58 if it was in the Pyramid.

On 14/04/2022 at 17:21, Pyramid Watcher said:

It’s not their choice.

Is that correct?

Some relegated clubs e.g. from the SPFL are able to nominate the league which they wish to enter. Albeit doesn't the Lowland or Highland League have some sort of right of appeal if they don't like the decision? Doesn't that apply to Lowland League clubs too when they are relegated?

11 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Going out with a whimper - 

GAME POSTPONED | Tomorrow’s game between @ValeLeithen and @EdinburghUniAFC has been postponed due @ValeLeithen being unable to field a team.

Any idea why they are unable to raise a team? Covid etc?