Gran Turismo 7

Miguel Sanchez

36 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

With Sony being more open to PC wonder if this will get a PC port down the line. No brainer imo given PC is the platform for racing sims & GT has never tapped into it.

If any Gran Turismo goes to PC I'll buy you whatever you need to play it.

The constant rolling starts in this game are becoming a real pisser. When it comes to the more difficult races there seems to be zero chance of winning them as the car which starts in 1st place inevitably disappears into the distance.

Just did the GR3 cup at Maggiore and finished 2nd. The car in 1st was 8 seconds ahead which was as close as it was the entire race. Players have to spend their time trying to overtake everything while the 1st placed car gets a free run and sets fastest lap after fastest lap. Its incredibly frustrating.

Also did the GR4 High Speed Ring race where my car was eating everything on the straights. Managed to get in front on the final lap only for a car which I'd easily passed the lap previously to come speeding past and nick the win by 0.138 seconds. How the f**k does that work?

If the game was on a disc it would have been frisbee'd out the window by now.

• 5 months later...

Going out on a limb here and saying everyone gave up on the game. Probably understandable. I however have just won my first Sport Mode race

631476477_Alsace-TestCourse__1.thumb.jpeg.a972a4518574be9c09049d44144f385b.jpeg

My thoughts on GT Sport are here but to give you stats: 1441 races, 139 wins, over 50 days driving time and a virtually life-defining multi-year experience. GT7's online has struggled to match this for a number of reasons, but today I got to drive a very enjoyable car, outsmart the field on a strategy call and overcome a known dirty driver who ruined my second attempt and I'm still shattered after this race tbh. Completely worth it. 

If anyone still has the time or inclination, the game's a few updates deep now. It's not really changed any (aside from how tyre wear is measured, displayed and experienced) but there's still plenty of fun to be had if you put the time in to Sport Mode.

I've had some time on the couch this week so picked it back up.

On paper managed to pick up my first win in a Daily Race - was this because I was the only one of the top 5 who could actually read the rules of the race and avoided a 1 min penalty? Not for me to say...

13 hours ago, true_rover said:

I've had some time on the couch this week so picked it back up.

On paper managed to pick up my first win in a Daily Race - was this because I was the only one of the top 5 who could actually read the rules of the race and avoided a 1 min penalty? Not for me to say...

One benefit of ending up at a lower level than I was at in GT Sport is people not knowing how the regulations work. I went from 9th to 5th or something in a race a few weeks ago, I found it quite funny.

Going out on a limb here and saying everyone gave up on the game. Probably understandable. I however have just won my first Sport Mode race
631476477_Alsace-TestCourse__1.thumb.jpeg.a972a4518574be9c09049d44144f385b.jpeg
My thoughts on GT Sport are here but to give you stats: 1441 races, 139 wins, over 50 days driving time and a virtually life-defining multi-year experience. GT7's online has struggled to match this for a number of reasons, but today I got to drive a very enjoyable car, outsmart the field on a strategy call and overcome a known dirty driver who ruined my second attempt and I'm still shattered after this race tbh. Completely worth it. 
If anyone still has the time or inclination, the game's a few updates deep now. It's not really changed any (aside from how tyre wear is measured, displayed and experienced) but there's still plenty of fun to be had if you put the time in to Sport Mode.
I've kept playing it every now and then but there's still plenty which pisses me off.

- The updates focus far too much on VGT cars. Not sure about anyone else who plays this but I'd rather more real life cars were added.
- Some more new tracks would be nice. Even adding updated versions of tracks from previous GT games.
- More tracks would mean more races. I'm running out of races to complete.
- Constant rolling starts are beyond tiresome. Introduce a qualifying system.
- The ability to sell cars would also be nice. I've won about 4 VW Sciroccos which I have no use for. Would much rather sell them and have the credits.

On 28/09/2022 at 16:47, Ron Aldo said:

This is the thing that always pisses me off, especially in Championships when you constantly have to work up from the back regardless of the result in the previous race

On 28/09/2022 at 16:47, Ron Aldo said:

I've kept playing it every now and then but there's still plenty which pisses me off.

- The updates focus far too much on VGT cars. Not sure about anyone else who plays this but I'd rather more real life cars were added.
- Some more new tracks would be nice. Even adding updated versions of tracks from previous GT games.
- More tracks would mean more races. I'm running out of races to complete.
- The ability to sell cars would also be nice. I've won about 4 VW Sciroccos which I have no use for. Would much rather sell them and have the credits.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

This is the thing that always pisses me off, especially in Championships when you constantly have to work up from the back regardless of the result in the previous race

Everyone else online I talk to about this game is really invested in it one way or another so I'm curious, how much of it have you two played? How many races/licenses/missions have you done? How many Sport Mode races have you done? These are my stats, and aside from a big burst in March I've largely settled into my Wednesday/Saturday routine from GT Sport:

706511026_GranTurismo7_20220929184502.thumb.jpg.b95cb9e942b2485ff0fe25368bc8db81.jpg

On Ron's points:

- I don't really mind which cars get added. We'd usually get a lot more in Sport's updates (7/8 rather than 3), I don't know if this being a PS5 game affects that rate any. Plus as you can see, I only have 40% of them and I've not driven loads of those.

- We usually get one track every other month. Last month we got Catalunya's rallycross layout which was a waste of time (and not technically new).

- Lack of events is the biggest one and it will continue to baffle me what's stopping them from putting stuff in now. They can't be spending time trying to make the AI run at a certain pace or anything because they're just consistently terrible, so I don't know what it is. The fact that Monza and Bathurst have one World Circuits race between them is just... I don't know. I also think the World Circuit event layout is stupid and terrible anyway, but it's really not helped when you see how much some tracks are favoured over others.

I remember at some point in GT5's life realising that it wasn't a racing game. That is, it wasn't a game with cars in it where the primary focus was to race them against each other. It was a game for looking at cars. Outside of some of the Driving Missions, all of the races amounted to basically the same thing - you driving past a bunch of very impressively rendered cars. Cars that wouldn't behave in any way as if they're on a race track. Once you've done that you can watch a replay of all those cars running round. Once that's done you can go and take a picture of them.

This changed with GT Sport and Sport Mode, but that platform currently have its own problems which I won't go into at length here because I don't think anyone really cares. With GT7 so much of what's in the game and what they're putting into the game feels like a company which is very passionate about what they do but with no idea that anyone outside the company sees that same passion even the slightest bit differently from them. 

I'm still playing it regularly, I'm still enjoying it and part of me is even getting competitive in Sport Mode again, but I have too many other sims and games to play to be as hysterical as some GT fans (nobody on here) have been since it was released.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I haven't played it in months. Have any of the recent updates turned it into an actual racing game or is it still just an overtaking simulator?

On 29/09/2022 at 19:38, Miguel Sanchez said:

I remember at some point in GT5's life realising that it wasn't a racing game. That is, it wasn't a game with cars in it where the primary focus was to race them against each other. It was a game for looking at cars. Outside of some of the Driving Missions, all of the races amounted to basically the same thing - you driving past a bunch of very impressively rendered cars. Cars that wouldn't behave in any way as if they're on a race track. Once you've done that you can watch a replay of all those cars running round. Once that's done you can go and take a picture of them.

This changed with GT Sport and Sport Mode, but that platform currently have its own problems which I won't go into at length here because I don't think anyone really cares. With GT7 so much of what's in the game and what they're putting into the game feels like a company which is very passionate about what they do but with no idea that anyone outside the company sees that same passion even the slightest bit differently from them. 

imo the only above-arcade level circuit racing game available on console is Assetto Corsa Competizione

Sport Mode is still viable in GT7 but with this week as an example, you have an undriveable F1 car, a choice of very deliberate hybrid LMP1 cars or... I think it was Gr.3, at Brands Hatch.

In a word, no.