Raith Rovers v Queen of the South - Diddy Cup Final Extravaganza

33 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Really hate when the Queen's fan are full on manic depressive before a game, it’s always when they then come out and thump us.  All that’s currently missing is them having to play a child in goal and the cup is heading to Dumfries.   

Yep it's a better tactic than anything Gibson or Murray will come up with. Queens 1-0 up already. 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

But we're supposed to treat this separately from the reality of the league and enjoy ourselves emoji19.png

Oh, aye, forgot ... really buzzin for this man ... bring it on ... 😜

5 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I think the best thing for all concerned is for Queens to lie down and let Rovers take an unassailable lead early on (4-0 isn't absolutely unassailable for us).That way we can keep players fresh for the Dunfermline game and beat them to help Queens' survival prospects.

Survival?  Survival? .... what's this "survival" thing? ... Does it involve winning any games?

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Really hate when the Queen's fan are full on manic depressive before a game, it’s always when they then come out and thump us.  All that’s currently missing is them having to play a child in goal and the cup is heading to Dumfries.   

Don't worry, "the child" will be on the bench.

Guest Flash
12 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Says it all about this cup when even our manager is basically saying he doesn't give a f**k about it in yesterday's post-match interview 🤣

I think it is mainly to do with the situation we’re in that it has become totally irrelevant. If we were safe, it would be a good day out and winning it would be a wee bonus towards the end of the season. Being in the final when you’re almost certainly getting relegated makes it a joyless occasion, no matter what the outcome.
Has any team ever been in this final and relegated in the same season? I think our final with County in 2011 was the first time it was played in April. I could be wrong but I think most finals before that were played in the autumn. So, going into the final in April knowing that you’re almost certainly getting relegated must be quite unusual.
Eta Dumbarton got to the final in 2018 in the same season they were relegated. They were relegated via the play-offs, so in a slightly different position from us in that they knew they couldn’t finish bottom (Brechin were miles behind) so they still had a chance of staying up. I’ll have a look to see if there were any others.

Edited by Flash

Feck all you doommonger QoS fans. have a day off, I'm going to the Final to enjoy the day out, even better if we win obviously. The league business will take care of itself after that and I'll be back into grumpy mode soon enough after Sunday. 

Feck all you doommonger QoS fans. have a day off, I'm going to the Final to enjoy the day out, even better if we win obviously. The league business will take care of itself after that and I'll be back into grumpy mode soon enough after Sunday. 
Our own manager (rightly) doesn't give a f**k about this game so it's hard to get enthused as a fan. I expect the players are the same. It's more of an inconvenience than anything IMO.

Guest Flash

Had a look back.
Only teams I can find that reached the final and were relegated in the same season were Dumbarton in 17/18 and Ross County in 06/07.
Dumbarton were relegated via the play-offs after finishing 9th, miles ahead of Brechin. So they didn’t go into the final while bottom of the league.
County were the only team to finish bottom and be in the final in the same season. However, their final was in November 2006, so it is a bit different from going into a final in April. They won the trophy after beating Clyde on pens.
14/15 saw Livi who finished 8th playing Alloa who finished 9th and stayed up via the play-offs.
In 08/09 Airdrie got to the final in the season they finished ninth but they stayed up via the play-offs. Again, the final was in November 2008, so slightly different.
I think this is the first time a team at the bottom of the league has appeared in a Challenge Cup final in April.

Given what's at stake for both clubs in the league at the moment, and if it wasn't for the fact that fans are forking out on travel and tickets, I would personally love it if Gibson & McGlynn came to an agreement to field under-21s and reserves only.

Everyone benefits... no risk of injuries to key squad players ahead of the league run-in and Cockwomble & Co could live their dream of a Colts team lifting the trophy 🤣

I'm looking forward to this more now that we are still in the playoff hunt.  I wouldn't want it to be the pinnacle of the season, but my hope is that if we were to win it then it could act as some kind of morale booster for the run in.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm cool with the doom-monger thing.  I've convinced myself that escaping the drop is beyond us with the squad we have, our current form , the form of clubs around us, and combined with the injury situation.  So I've embraced what's happening and there's no angst.  That makes the Diddy Cup final a positive day out for me and you never know - with the pressure of it not being a league game being removed, the team might actually play with more freedom and may just give Rovers a game of it.

I think I'll wait for the fitness updates on Wednesday or Thursday before I decide how optimistic or pessimistic I am about this one. 

With Benedictus and Musonda back we should at least be able to put out a team of players in their natural positions, but the way this season is going I wouldn't rule out losing further bodies to spontaneous combustion, gardening accidents or choking on someone else's vomit. 

47 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I think I'll wait for the fitness updates on Wednesday or Thursday before I decide how optimistic or pessimistic I am about this one. 

With Benedictus and Musonda back we should at least be able to put out a team of players in their natural positions, but the way this season is going I wouldn't rule out losing further bodies to spontaneous combustion, gardening accidents or choking on someone else's vomit. 

Bene is suspended.

Straight red = two games, regardless of the competition.