Raith Rovers v Queen of the South - Diddy Cup Final Extravaganza

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

How on earth was that not a red card?! 🤣

From memory (I'm not watching that again) he was facing the other way and spun round to try to kick the ball. It was accidental although I guess it could be classed as reckless. The picture makes it look like he came diving in with full knowledge of what he was doing. I don’t think he did but he must have known there was a strong possibility that somebody was going to try to head it.
When I saw the replay, I wondered why he was going for the ball with his foot anyway. It is traditional for defenders to head crosses away. Typical of our defending, although it was a very good cross, tbf. Just a strange way to try to defend it.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

.  However, all that said, when you get to a Diddy final what's not to like for the fans (mainly) and the players?  Both get a great day out away from the grind and pressure of league business and a chance to party big time - ask the Rovers fans this morning!

It's not just the final either, one of the best games I've ever seen Queens play (apart from the 2008 Aberdeen semi in the big cup obviously) was a 5-3 win over St Mirren at the old Love St - a game in which both sides went at it hell for leather from start to finish, and believe me both sets of players were "up for it" that night - even the players from the ... "better team" ...

As I said earlier to @19QOS19 though ... the game (and life) is about differing points of view and we don't all have to agree on everything, that would be a bit boring eh?

There has to be significance attached to the event for fans to have that party time though surely? A real desire to win, maybe a bit of fear of losing that such an opportunity much not come around again very often... There has to be something right? 

As it is with the complete disdain clubs show for it (Killie have barely played six of the players that played in the semi) getting to the final hasn't got that achievement feel attached to it. And in my instance (and of most Pars fans I know) because they're so absolutely non plussed about going out, how can you then in turn feel the opposite range of emotion, the joy and happiness at winning a competition you feel so little about? 

It's football at the end of the day so I'll always take Dunfermline winning a game, but then friendlys, reserve games and the Fife Cup are also games of football and while it's nice to win, losing is met with such a "meh" that you're not going to start bouncing around at winning a friendly are you? The challenge Cup has that added "f**k sake" value of it getting more important league games rearranged to midweek, with the added kicker that clubs could make a loss taking part in the competition. 

The introduction of colt teams, and the cancellation of last years tournament really should've been the final nail in the coffin to get this in the sea. 

There has to be significance attached to the event for fans to have that party time though surely? A real desire to win, maybe a bit of fear of losing that such an opportunity much not come around again very often...

The Challenge Cup is a weird one for Rovers as we've won it in the best possible conditions. We watched thousands of Rangers fans streaming for the exits at Easter Road after nobody gave us a chance. It was an absolutely beautiful sight to watch them absolutely fuming.

There has to be significance attached to the event for fans to have that party time though surely? A real desire to win, maybe a bit of fear of losing that such an opportunity much not come around again very often... There has to be something right? 
As it is with the complete disdain clubs show for it (Killie have barely played six of the players that played in the semi) getting to the final hasn't got that achievement feel attached to it. And in my instance (and of most Pars fans I know) because they're so absolutely non plussed about going out, how can you then in turn feel the opposite range of emotion, the joy and happiness at winning a competition you feel so little about? 

Football is a funny game though, I think that was the only round of the cup that I was actually at.

I never even watched the semi on the tv as I was busy that night. I wasn’t bothered either.

It didn’t stop me being out til the early hours this morning celebrating the cup win though. Its obviously nothing compared to the league cup or the Scottish cup, but I doubt I’ll ever see the Rovers lift either of those again in my lifetime. So I’ll settle for enjoying seeing them lift the only cup, I’ll probably only ever see them winning.

The only thing realistically that would trump us winning that cup would be to watch the Rovers finally get back up to the Premiership after 25 years away. But I’m starting to have my doubts that we’ll get to see that anytime soon either.

We all now the drill by now. If you’re in the final then it matters. If you’ve been punted out then it’s the biggest waste of time going. That’ll continue to be the case every year. Not really caring if you go out in earlier rounds and celebrating at a final are not mutually exclusive. It’s a secondary competition so will always be the case.

That doesn’t make winning it not enjoyable. If the Pars made the final they would have packed the East stand and been celebrating the win. Anyone who says they would have been sat at home because it’s the diddy cup is stupidly depriving yourself of a good day out. 

Edited by roverthemoon

Hardly floats my boat. I am concerned by the blase attitude of your response 
Signing sexually abuses a woman whatever floats your boat” 🤦🏽‍♂️

Right, Listen Val, Give it a rest.

He’ll never appear for us and I’ll be surprised if he’ll still be on our payroll by the end of the summer.

Even if he is, there’s no point coming on to a football forum and calling us out for it as we are only fans of the club. We didn’t ask for it. We didn’t negotiate the contract with him.

If anything, it was down to us, that he’ll never play for us.

Wouldn't have been as fussed about yesterday if our league season was dead, but its a rare moment of positivity in what has been a horrendous few months.

A nice day and great to win, but the manager quite rightly turned attention quickly to Wednesday.

I'm sure I heard on the radio leaving the ground that Vaughan was in tears at full time after getting a winners medal.

16 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Right, Listen Val, Give it a rest.

He’ll never appear for us and I’ll be surprised if he’ll still be on our payroll by the end of the summer.

Even if he is, there’s no point coming on to a football forum and calling us out for it as we are only fans of the club. We didn’t ask for it. We didn’t negotiate the contract with him.

If anything, it was down to us, that he’ll never play another game in Scotland.

FTFY

Edited by San Starko Rover

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The Challenge Cup is a weird one for Rovers as we've won it in the best possible conditions. We watched thousands of Rangers fans streaming for the exits at Easter Road after nobody gave us a chance. It was an absolutely beautiful sight to watch them absolutely fuming.

I can fully understand how that would've been incredibly good patter, I had a good chuckle when I heard the result myself that day, the footage looked class aswell. 

However (and I appreciate that this will just get labelled as sour grapes), beating a team who you'll already played four times this season, who are about as inoffensive as you can get, at a half empty Airdrie stadium on a Sunday doesn't really tickle me

9 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

We all now the drill by now. If you’re in the final then it matters. If you’ve been punted out then it’s the biggest waste of time going. That’ll continue to be the case every year. Not really caring if you go out in earlier rounds and celebrating at a final are not mutually exclusive. It’s a secondary competition so will always be the case.

That doesn’t make winning it not enjoyable. If the Pars made the final they would have packed the East stand and been celebrating the win. Anyone who says they would have been sat at home because it’s the diddy cup is stupidly depriving yourself of a good day out. 

Plenty of Pars fans done exactly that though when we did get to a final, I'm sure there are plenty of football fans who don't take the game so seriously that they sit and post on Internet forums when they're meant to be working, there'll be plenty who balance going to games on cost, distance to travel and importance of games. 

I don't think your stupidly depriving yourself of a good day if you aren't really fussed by the competition. 

51 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

^^^ This 

Just rewatched it on iPlayer and it pretty much confirmed my thoughts at the time. I genuinely never felt threatened at any point by QoS from open play. They dominated the ball and territory for the first 55 but I never felt they had a baller to really hurt us. We had less ball but I felt we were more threatening on the odd occasion we were able to break between their midfield and defence. QoS Set piece delivery tho was excellent and caused us lots of problems, obviously leading to them hitting the woodwork 4 times and eventually scoring. We were pretty cynical in the first half and could have had more bookings, and the free kick that lead to the goal was totally unnecessary, particularly given the problems their dead balls were giving us. After the Varian/Zanatta switch tho I thought we took over. 
I know nothing about the dislike of Gibson but having seen yesterday he does seem very easy to despise so fair enough. The refs leniency towards us in the first half allowed their defence to pick up the rough treatment in the second half and they seemed to pretty cynically target Matej’s head too. 
Thought Todd looked decent although he looks like a baddy from Supergran with that barnet. Cooper looked good first half but that might be because we gave him so much room.

Final wee thoughts, Airdrie might as well turn the tannoy off, couldn’t tell if it was the Alba feed or not.

Sound and vision on Alba were out of sync for me which was annoying.

Can see why Hopkin isn’t a manager, talked pish all game. Pronunciation of Tumilty particularly grated.
We desperately need to keep one man up at defending set pieces, even if it is just to pressurise the return ball as it is like a second dead ball back in after we clear the first one.

Did QoS manage to spell McKechnie’s name wrong on the back of his shirt?

Edited by ribzanelli

7 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree I think. If you support the likes of Rovers or Dunfermline then realistically your options for winning things are pretty limited. The way finances are in the game, there is no longer any realistic prospect of a national cup win unless lightning strikes - which it won’t. So it’s a Championship title, a League one title, a play off promotion or the Challenge Cup. The cup is probably the lowest priority of those for most folk, but to be not fussed about one of the four things that might bring a bit of success or a day out like yesterday seems an odd way to support your club, but maybe that’s just wee team mentality. 

Calling it a national trophy is a bit of a nonsense though with the disdain that clubs hold it in, the teams they put out etc, if it was a national competition of any standing then they wouldn't just stop a seasons and give out joint winners, that's the sort of nonsense that's given to shan trophys like the fife cup. 

To put much significance about winning a cup where teams will be yeeting out reserve sides until the semi, where you have premiership youth sides in till the quarters and what the players call the jobbie Cup? I just doesn't come into that discussion of a title win, a playoff victory etc. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Calling it a national trophy is a bit of a nonsense though with the disdain that clubs hold it in, the teams they put out etc, if it was a national competition of any standing then they wouldn't just stop a seasons and give out joint winners, that's the sort of nonsense that's given to shan trophys like the fife cup. 

To put much significance about winning a cup where teams will be yeeting out reserve sides until the semi, where you have premiership youth sides in till the quarters and what the players call the jobbie Cup? I just doesn't come into that discussion of a title win, a playoff victory etc. 

Absolutely,  if we win the playoffs I'll be out for days.  Our chat on the drive home yesterday was about Wednesday by the time we'd past Perth.

Edited by CALDERON

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Absolutely,  if we win the playoffs I'll be out for days.  Our chat on the drive home yesterday was about Wednesday by the time we'd past Perth.

There's a lot of cracking Raith fans who would deserve nothing more than a promotion, however if Dunfermline are to stay up I'd be gutted if Raith fucked off, the Championship without Raith or Falkirk is so dull. 

If we get relegated you can do what you want, I'll be busy taking the hump with football. 

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

This is what it’s all about. I’m old enough to know that something like 94 will never happen again, so it’s all about enjoying promotions and cup wins like this. Otherwise what’s the point? Is it the most illustrious cup on offer? No. Did anybody care about that when Matej fired in the opener or when Queens equalised? No. The scenes at the end with the players and management celebrating and kids getting their picture pitch side with the players. Absolutely brilliant. 

Definitely 👏🏻

Who calls it the Jobbie Cup?

Its the Diddy Cup. Everyone knows that. We are the 🤴 king of the diddies!

When did Pars last win a national cup? Must be donkeys years ago. I recall them getting slapped in the Scottish Cup Final a couple of times, back when they were about as good as St Mirren are now.

19 hours ago, foreverarover said:
19 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:
And are suitably knackered next Saturday.

They play Dunfermline on Wednesday

That was my point. Rovers play three games in 7 days, the 3rd of which is ourselves next Saturday (whilst we’ve had 8 days rest). Hopefully they’re knackered by then.