Raith Rovers v Queen of the South - Diddy Cup Final Extravaganza

But I think a side as bad as ourselves even getting to the final shows the contempt the better sides have for it tbh.

Almost all the better teams were in the other half of the draw. Thistle, Ayr and Morton were the only Championship clubs in your half, and one of those got emptied for fielding an ineligible player.

10 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Never spotted any sour grapes posts from Queens fans (I've not read every post tbf.) I think it's generally accepted we were the better team for 2/3 of the game but Raith finished far stronger than us, running out comfortable winners in the end. 

The Queens fans on here have, almost without exception, been magnanimous and decent.

The sour grapes are coming from 12 miles along the A92.

11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

But that's the beauty of cup fitba isn't it? Crap teams get found out over the course of a league season .... as we have been.

The contempt that the ... "better teams" ...  have for the competition is entirely their choice ... presumably they're happy winning SFA year after year.

https://lowerleagueramblings.com/2018/06/23/jobbies-cup/

Well, aye. 

When this was done Denholm was at a league 1 Cup and had no enthusiasm for it, not just the big clubs. 

11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

The contempt that the ... "better teams" ...  have for the competition is entirely their choice ... presumably they're happy winning SFA year after year.

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

https://lowerleagueramblings.com/2018/06/23/jobbies-cup/

Well, aye. 

When this was done Denholm was at a league 1 Cup and had no enthusiasm for it, not just the big clubs. 

Thanks for the link @Grant228!  Interesting to hear a player's viewpoint.

I thought some of Denholm's blog was a rant about the introduction of the English non-league clubs etc and about colt sides.  Neither of which floated my boat either.

I also get that managers will tend to use the Diddy Cup as an opportunity to test some of the "squad" players away from the more strategically important league games (which often decide the manager's future lets not forget) and I can't blame them for that.  However, all that said, when you get to a Diddy final what's not to like for the fans (mainly) and the players?  Both get a great day out away from the grind and pressure of league business and a chance to party big time - ask the Rovers fans this morning!

It's not just the final either, one of the best games I've ever seen Queens play (apart from the 2008 Aberdeen semi in the big cup obviously) was a 5-3 win over St Mirren at the old Love St - a game in which both sides went at it hell for leather from start to finish, and believe me both sets of players were "up for it" that night - even the players from the ... "better team" ...

As I said earlier to @19QOS19 though ... the game (and life) is about differing points of view and we don't all have to agree on everything, that would be a bit boring eh?

Great to see yet another thread ruined by the DGW shite, yes he’s an arsehole, yes our board and manager deserve all the flack they receive but can we please keep it out of the match threads. The Pars v Rovers thread is utterly eye bleeding. 

Yesterday was an enjoyable day out and I think 3-1 was harsh on Queen of the South who I felt started the better team. They pressed us well while we were giving them far more space and they looked more comfortable on the ball. Great move and finish for the first goal and the equalizer was definitely deserved after we had ridden our luck while QOS  were pushing us back. Always disappointed to lose a goal right before the whistle but there’s no denying it was deserved after the QOS pressure and chances.

Second half started like the first and I thought QOS looked like they might turn the game in their favour. Change of player and tactic seemed to change the game back for ourselves and we finally scored a goal from a corner (this is a rare event at RRFC) after that I think QOS heads went down and the game was won at 3-1. Good game management to see out the result.  

Thought the referee was pretty good don’t think he got much wrong, yellows were deserved and he let a couple go for both sides.  QOS fans did a good job getting behind their team “taps aff” braver than me. Both teams will sadly be getting a bill after the smoke bombs chucked on a plastic pitch which was stupidity.  Overall it was a good day out, decent atmosphere and obviously winning a trophy is always great for a diddy club. Best of luck to QOS in your relegation battle well try to our bit for you on Wednesday night.  

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just sitting down to watch the match back on i player. May the best team win. 

I’m going to give it a second viewing too. I was adding milk to my coffee when the second goal went in. That was on 70 minutes. My pal had went to the pie stand at half time. Only took 40 minutes. That catering at Airdrie could maybe do with some improvement.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Almost all the better teams were in the other half of the draw. Thistle, Ayr and Morton were the only Championship clubs in your half, and one of those got emptied for fielding an ineligible player.

Absolutely, and that (as I've said earlier in the thread) is part of the beauty of cup competitions - luck of the draw and all that, and it is of course why crap teams (like us this season) get found out over the course of a league season.  No argument from me.

Aye, bit of a shame that the DGW thing has reared its head in this thread - as the Rovers posters have said there is a separate thread for that stuff for those who want to debate it.  Much better to keep this Diddy Final thread for the fitba I think.

I deliberately decided not to get involved in the DGW thing when it happened.  I don't see the point in giving Rovers fans grief for what happened when its clearly not their fault.  In some respects we are all at the behest of the often daft/crazy decisions that our clubs make and that we have no control over.

12 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, bit of a shame that the DGW thing has reared its head in this thread - as the Rovers posters have said there is a separate thread for that stuff for those who want to debate it.  Much better to keep this Diddy Final thread for the fitba I think.

I deliberately decided not to get involved in the DGW thing when it happened.  I don't see the point in giving Rovers fans grief for what happened when its clearly not their fault.  In some respects we are all at the behest of the often daft/crazy decisions that our clubs make and that we have no control over.

Best comment I have seen on the DGW fiasco 👏🏻 Thank you kind sir👍🏻 I agree with you wholeheartedly about the diddy cup, early rounds it can be a unwelcome distraction but what’s not to enjoy about yesterday, local community getting behind there teams, a day in the sun( metaphorically as it was Baltic ) live tv coverage, good build up all week plus a shot at glory, thoroughly enjoyed yesterday and felt the connection between fans and team was mended a bit yesterday. If you guys had won yesterday it would have given you a shot in the arm for staying up and great memories for your fans. It was a decent game and was in the balance until late on, matej ultimately the difference. Hopefully you guys pull off the great escape 

Just finished watching it back. 

Two great headers from Poplatnik but that third goal was back to us at our best. Beautiful goal.

The Queen's goal was quality as well in it's own way. Can't beat a good stramash in the box. 

A good game overall and an enjoyable day. 

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Great to see yet another thread ruined by the DGW shite, yes he’s an arsehole, yes our board and manager deserve all the flack they receive but can we please keep it out of the match threads. The Pars v Rovers thread is utterly eye bleeding. 

Yesterday was an enjoyable day out and I think 3-1 was harsh on Queen of the South who I felt started the better team. They pressed us well while we were giving them far more space and they looked more comfortable on the ball. Great move and finish for the first goal and the equalizer was definitely deserved after we had ridden our luck while QOS  were pushing us back. Always disappointed to lose a goal right before the whistle but there’s no denying it was deserved after the QOS pressure and chances.

Second half started like the first and I thought QOS looked like they might turn the game in their favour. Change of player and tactic seemed to change the game back for ourselves and we finally scored a goal from a corner (this is a rare event at RRFC) after that I think QOS heads went down and the game was won at 3-1. Good game management to see out the result.  

Thought the referee was pretty good don’t think he got much wrong, yellows were deserved and he let a couple go for both sides.  QOS fans did a good job getting behind their team “taps aff” braver than me. Both teams will sadly be getting a bill after the smoke bombs chucked on a plastic pitch which was stupidity.  Overall it was a good day out, decent atmosphere and obviously winning a trophy is always great for a diddy club. Best of luck to QOS in your relegation battle well try to our bit for you on Wednesday night.  

Scoring from a corner may well be a rare event at RRFC. Sadly conceding from one is all too common at QOSFC as is the hapless defending to needlessly concede the corner in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, Raithie said:

My son is 10 and this is his first season following the Rovers. Needless to say he's already seen the ups and downs of following this club in the space of several months. As you can imagine yesterday was ridiculously epic for him and chuffed for him to say he's seen us in a cup final and to say 'I was there'. A memory he'll have for life, diddy cup or not. For the kids who have chosen the Rovers as their club over the gruesome twosome yesterday would have been very special for them. 

This is what it’s all about. I’m old enough to know that something like 94 will never happen again, so it’s all about enjoying promotions and cup wins like this. Otherwise what’s the point? Is it the most illustrious cup on offer? No. Did anybody care about that when Matej fired in the opener or when Queens equalised? No. The scenes at the end with the players and management celebrating and kids getting their picture pitch side with the players. Absolutely brilliant.