Raith Rovers v Queen of the South - Diddy Cup Final Extravaganza

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

I did think it was a bit strange that he joined in the celebrations for the 2nd and 3rd goals... 

Was his name Geordie Munro by any chance?

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I could swear that the linesman from yesterday was/is a Rovers fan. I’m sure he used to go to the games and I used to see him out in kitty’s about 10 years ago. 

Happens more than you'd think, you had the two Falkirk refs who were utter bellends about it, there's also another who's a East Fife fan who reffed our game against them years ago, he was perfectly sound though. 

11 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

If this is how much time Grant spends commenting on a game between two teams he doesn’t support in a competition he thinks is irrelevant nonsense then imagine how much he posts in a pars match thread.

Post on all sorts of pish when I should be working, if I was only interested about Pars related topics I'd stick to Pars forums. 

Some random thoughts on the game;
Queens didn’t look like a team about to drop through the trap door for most of the game, but then again they never do look rancid against us.

Our defence looked like they’d never played together before…. Which was pretty accurate.

After the last few games when we’ve looked better with two up top I wasn’t convinced Zanatta for Varian was the right choice but the change in formation absolutely turned the game- Zanatta looked right up for it and we were the far better team after that.

Matej looked possessed- he was magnificent, never stopped working and I’d be delighted if we sign him on a permanent deal.

As for the day out, it’s exactly what younger fans need to get them hooked on diddy teams like ours. My 7yr old is not particularly interested but he really enjoyed the fact that the stand was packed, there was a fair bit of singing, he saw us score three goals and we lifted a trophy.
That’s the sort of things that make kids want to come back again so to say this cup is pointless is absolutely missing the point.

What a great day out if somewhat Baltic.

To be fair to Queens they were easily  the better side in the first half and I wouldn't have complained too much if they'd gone in 2 goals up. Defensively we were all over the place at times. Queens however were honking defensively too and I always felt there were goals in it for us. Zanatta changed things big-time when he came on and Poplatnik was just immense. He's spent far too long on our bench this season.

When the second goal went in (a shocking goal to lose it was way too easy) the wind went out of Queens' sails and we were surprisingly comfortable until the final whistle. Hopefully this is a springboard for the final 5 games but even if we don't make the play-offs we have something to show for a surreal season.

I think I’ve almost recovered, having such a late one and being up at 5am for work was horrendous!
A few things to note on the game, Queens fully deserved to go in level at HT, well played Queens. But 2nd half, we completely controlled the game, and the game management - where has that been since November? Good to see it back.
I took my eldest (she’s 7), she’s been going to more games this season and she’s been at the girls football on a Wednesday also, she fully has the bug now, next up for her - Townies away.
Diddy Cup or not, when it’s the business end - it means everything. Great day out!

These posts about hooking kids in are bang on the money. At that age, seeing a team winning something is a huge deal and it won't matter to them whether it's the Scottish Cup or the Challenge Cup. They can go to school and tell their friends who support the ugly sisters or Man City or Liverpool or whoever, that not only have they also seen their team win something, they've seen it in the flesh and possibly even had pictures taken with the players after the match. 

Not many of them will be able to compete with that. 

Zanatta caused problems the second he got on the park and did one of his trademark cut ins although the finish was poor. It also moved Ross more central and him along with Poplatnik running at them Queens couldn't cope. 

That said if it wasn't for the wood work we would have been dead and buried by half time but that's football for you.

34 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Zanatta caused problems the second he got on the park and did one of his trademark cut ins although the finish was poor. It also moved Ross more central and him along with Poplatnik running at them Queens couldn't cope. 

That said if it wasn't for the wood work we would have been dead and buried by half time but that's football for you.

Not really. Reports all mention Queens' hitting the goalposts/bar 4 times but 2 of those were during the same play in the lead up to their goal anyway. 

Really enjoyed the day (and night) out, as others have said Queens shaded the first half, we were dangerous on the break, but our second half subs gave us the upper hand and we seen it out quite easily, Poplatnik and Mcdonald were outstanding on the day, big congratulations to the management, players and fans who I thought were brilliant all day.

Finally I feel the introduction of colt teams has devalued this competition but watching your team in a cup final is brilliant and something all lower league fans would want, unlucky to Queens who don't look a bad outfit, on another day it could have been different.

I thought at the time there might be a bit of a question of the Raith winger being offside before he put the cross in for the opening goal. I was looking right along the line when he got the ball and was surprised (furious) that the flag didn't go up, he looked about 2  yards off. Obviously he must have timed his run perfectly judging by the lack of complaints from our defence and the lack of comments on here. 

(Ahem, just read that the linesman on that side was a Rovers fan.)

Leaving the actual game and result aside I would rate the "matchday experience" of this National Final yesterday as barely 6/10. Parking no problem, I was early enough to get in the car park. Match Programme £5 was decent enough value, Catering was 1970's standard though, not counting the soup, pies was the only hot food option, or you could have crisps or chocolate bars. As a few have already commented, the PA was completely inaudible, the announcer sounded like he was talking through a dozen face masks. Good to see so many kids and adults involved at half-time but the ribbon wavers, although enthusiastic enough, were a cheap choice. 

Ach well, congratulations to Raith Rovers, deserved winners in the end. Maybe we can do it all again next season. 

18 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

These posts about hooking kids in are bang on the money. At that age, seeing a team winning something is a huge deal and it won't matter to them whether it's the Scottish Cup or the Challenge Cup. They can go to school and tell their friends who support the ugly sisters or Man City or Liverpool or whoever, that not only have they also seen their team win something, they've seen it in the flesh and possibly even had pictures taken with the players after the match. 

Not many of them will be able to compete with that. 

Agree with the points about the kids.

My 14 year olds 2nd cup final, he really got hooked after the 1st.

Club should be going big style getting merchandise out, get cup winners printed on everything in the shop.