Raith Rovers v Queen of the South - Diddy Cup Final Extravaganza

Firstly a pretty decent game. Both sides with reasonably attacking intent. 

We looked the better side for 60 minutes. Did we hit the metalwork 4 times in the first half? Small margins! 

Raith dominated after 2-1. So a decent day out.. Met few humourous Kirkcaldy fokes on the way.  And I got a drink in the Albert Bar! 

Just watched the goals again. Matej at the third one. Holy f**k, he’s possessed. Starts the move with a great turn, adds a cheeky back heel, then pops up on the left to slide the perfect ball to Mackie. What a legend. Great play from Dario too to find him on the left. 

Also rewatching it reminded me of the folk on the pitch at the start with the streamers and outside with the fire hula hoops. So low rent that it was magnificent. There was one guy giving it a right good go dancing about in the centre circle and getting tangled in his streamer. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I can fully understand how that would've been incredibly good patter, I had a good chuckle when I heard the result myself that day, the footage looked class aswell. 

However (and I appreciate that this will just get labelled as sour grapes), beating a team who you'll already played four times this season, who are about as inoffensive as you can get, at a half empty Airdrie stadium on a Sunday doesn't really tickle me

Plenty of Pars fans done exactly that though when we did get to a final, I'm sure there are plenty of football fans who don't take the game so seriously that they sit and post on Internet forums when they're meant to be working, there'll be plenty who balance going to games on cost, distance to travel and importance of games. 

I don't think your stupidly depriving yourself of a good day if you aren't really fussed by the competition. 

Post after post about your disdain for the trophy that gave a day out for 2 other teams. What an absolute joy thief you are. 

Queens fans were good yesterday and shifted some good patter pre match. 

At the end in particular, it fair warmed the soul to see the kids and players buzzing.

We didn't drag our club through the mud and yesterday we got the chance to have it back. 

Just watched the most recent compilation from the spfl and have to say their coverage has been excellent.

Social media output, match action, fans and kids at half time and allowing fans rather than some corporate to give MOM and the trophy was fantastic. 

I fair enjoy ripping them a new one when calamity calls so fair play 👏

I could swear that the linesman from yesterday was/is a Rovers fan. I’m sure he used to go to the games and I used to see him out in kitty’s about 10 years ago. 
Definitely used to go to games and still stays in Kirkcaldy. There can't be any accusations of bias given he was in charge of the Partick game where Berra got sent off for a fair tackle.

I could swear that the linesman from yesterday was/is a Rovers fan. I’m sure he used to go to the games and I used to see him out in kitty’s about 10 years ago. 

On the QoS side perchance?...

2 hours ago, Always next quarter said:

Just watched the most recent compilation from the spfl and have to say their coverage has been excellent.

Social media output, match action, fans and kids at half time and allowing fans rather than some corporate to give MOM and the trophy was fantastic. 

I fair enjoy ripping them a new one when calamity calls so fair play 👏

Just a shame they cocked up ticket arrangements and thought everyone attending the match would want to eat a pie. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Dammit Janet ... haud the bus ... I demand an investigation ... Doncaster must go ... and he must go tonight ... 😜

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

There has to be significance attached to the event for fans to have that party time though surely? A real desire to win, maybe a bit of fear of losing that such an opportunity much not come around again very often... There has to be something right? 

As it is with the complete disdain clubs show for it (Killie have barely played six of the players that played in the semi) getting to the final hasn't got that achievement feel attached to it. And in my instance (and of most Pars fans I know) because they're so absolutely non plussed about going out, how can you then in turn feel the opposite range of emotion, the joy and happiness at winning a competition you feel so little about? 

It's football at the end of the day so I'll always take Dunfermline winning a game, but then friendlys, reserve games and the Fife Cup are also games of football and while it's nice to win, losing is met with such a "meh" that you're not going to start bouncing around at winning a friendly are you? The challenge Cup has that added "f**k sake" value of it getting more important league games rearranged to midweek, with the added kicker that clubs could make a loss taking part in the competition. 

The introduction of colt teams, and the cancellation of last years tournament really should've been the final nail in the coffin to get this in the sea. 

I'm getting the feeling you don't really like this Diddy Cup thing do you?

I think it could be a matter of perspective here, like there's shades of "Diddyness".  Some of the Diddy clubs (ie everyone in Tiers 2, 3 and 4 and the top league yo-yo clubs) clearly view this cup as "meh" - win it or not, couldn't care less.  So I'm thinking here of the likes of the Pars, Killie, Partick, dare I mention Falkirk etc - ie what you might call the "better" Diddy clubs.  But for clubs such as Queens who have celebrated mediocrity for most of my life (think I was about 6 when we last played top league) a final is a final is a final - end of, and you embrace the day out.

Reminds me of the 2008 big cup final.  Left Hampden that day still amazed that we'd even got there and all the Bears fans looked miserable as sin - and they'd won the bloody cup!  They looked at the Queens fans in the street as if we were pond life.  I'm sure they thought we'd completely devalued the final ... imagine having to contest a big cup final against a load of hicks from the sticks sort of thing.  Damn wee shame, eh?

So, perspectives differ, and that's fine too.