Raith Rovers v Queen of the South - Diddy Cup Final Extravaganza

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Key moments early in the 2nd half for me were the MacDonald save from Todd at 1-1 and then soon after we make an arse of clearing our lines and give away a needless corner from which Raith score to take the lead.

Recorded the game and just watched the goals when I got back.

Macdonald's save from Todd was much better than I thought at the game as Todd's shot was deflected up off the defender's leg at close range.

Just prior to Rovers second, Cooper I think it was, was fannying around instead of clearing his lines - right in front of me and I was howling for him to get shot of it ... the rest's history as they say.

Rovers goals were good though, especially the first. When the second went in we were done, spent, no answer.

3-1 was probably harsh on Queens, but Rovers deserved it for their finishing alone .... obviously ... 🙄

Would I have traded this final today (win or lose) over staying up? Of course I would, no debate.
But the general point was what's not to like about winning a national tournament and having a good day out ... even if many of the fans don't go to the next game.
Let's face it the clubs in tiers 2, 3 and 4 (with the very very rare exception) don't stand a cat's chance in hell of the big cups. This gives us a day in the sun .... or at least Airdrie on a cold wet day!
It's OK though, it's fine to have differing views on things. No problems with that.

That wasn't the issue I had today tbh. It was more the fact of celebrating a cup win and praising a bunch of players who are ultimately going to get us relegated. Something a bit off about that that would have felt strange. We never won so it doesn't matter of course. But I think a side as bad as ourselves even getting to the final shows the contempt the better sides have for it tbh.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Recorded the game and just watched the goals when I got back.

Macdonald's save from Todd was much better than I thought at the game as Todd's shot was deflected up off the defender's leg at close range.

Just prior to Rovers second, Cooper I think it was, was fannying around instead of clearing his lines - right in front of me and I was howling for him to get shot of it ... the rest's history as they say.

Rovers goals were good though, especially the first. When the second went in we were done, spent, no answer.

3-1 was probably harsh on Queens, but Rovers deserved it for their finishing alone .... obviously ... 🙄

Yes it was a costly error by Cooper. We had every chance at that stage and I thought we acquitted ourselves well up until that point. That goal was crucial and the the 3rd one just confirmed what we already knew. 

That wasn't the issue I had today tbh. It was more the fact of celebrating a cup win and praising a bunch of players who are ultimately going to get us relegated. Something a bit off about that that would have felt strange. We never won so it doesn't matter of course. But I think a side as bad as ourselves even getting to the final shows the contempt the better sides have for it tbh.

I think i can see your point, but i think most fans would have taken a win today as it’s a different competition. Someone said earlier, teams like ours aren’t going to make the “big” national cup finals often (or at all) so having a trophy like this that you could realistically win is fair enough, despite league position. I’m sure that had you won it, your fanbase would have enjoyed it for what it was, enjoyed the rest of the day and then tomorrow/Tuesday started thinking again about the battle you face to avoid the drop.

If i’ve missed the point, apologies.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

But I think a side as bad as ourselves even getting to the final shows the contempt the better sides have for it tbh.

But that's the beauty of cup fitba isn't it? Crap teams get found out over the course of a league season .... as we have been.

The contempt that the ... "better teams" ...  have for the competition is entirely their choice ... presumably they're happy winning SFA year after year.

22 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

Why On earth sour grapes ? You have indeed won the challenge cup and well done. My point of note was the fact your cup win is tainted by a signing 

And you and others just have to keep bringing it up on every thread that we are involved in, its been done to death, and if you must whinge and gripe about it theres an excellent thread dedicated to the cnut

And as for being tainted, is he at the club, was he playing, was he on the bench............ NO

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

37 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Firstly congratulations to Raith. 

Thought it was a very decent game and that on balance Raith were value for the win. That said we were the better team first half and more than merited that equaliser right on half time. 

Key moments in the 2nd half for me were the MacDonald save from Todd at 1-1 and then we make an arse of clearing our lines and give away a needless corner from which Raith score to take the lead. Thought they were the better team thereafter and the 3rd goal just killed the game. From 3-1 Raith saw the game out with ease in all honesty. 

Good analysis of the final....

Had to laugh at Raith fans singing "You're Going Down With Dunfermline"....so you had better win over them on Wednesday night...

Queens now have another 5 Cup Finals starting at Palmerston vs. Partick on Friday night. As the Harry Wraggs have self imploded since their last league win over Queens, the Doonhamers need the win...

Followed by:

Arbroath Away 

Inverness Home

Ayr Utd Home

Dunfermline Away

27 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

Why On earth sour grapes ? You have indeed won the challenge cup and well done. My point of note was the fact your cup win is tainted by a signing 

The signing has done many things and caused a large amount of damage, but tainting a cup win when the player (rightly) hasn't played a minute for the club is not one of them. 

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The signing has done many things and caused a large amount of damage, but tainting a cup win when the player (rightly) hasn't played a minute for the club is not one of them. 

🤣 Your manager and your board signed a known sex offender. But naw, nothing to do with your club a few months later winning a trophy. Of course your club is tainted. Your response only validates any insignificance that the club has reacted to. Probably best keep your mouth shut 

Just now, lesterplunkett said:

🤣 Your manager and your board signed a known sex offender. But naw, nothing to do with your club a few months later winning a trophy. Of course your club is tainted. Your response only validates any insignificance that the club has reacted to. Probably best keep your mouth shut 

Whatever floats yer boat, 

Just catching up after watching the videos put up by Raith TV etc. 

Can only agree with most of the comments. Queens came out of the blocks very well and we were lucky to get through the first 15 minutes without conceding, so to then score with our first real attack was a huge bonus. After that I thought in general we were okay and might have had another couple of goals but, as was the case last week, we were an absolute bomb scare defending at set pieces and, after breaking the world record for attempts against the woodwork in 45 minutes of football, Queens finally got the goal that they deserved. 

The turning point was the tactical switch by McGlynn and we bossed the last 30 minutes (I would have hooked Ross for Zanatta). 

There's no doubt that their heads dropped after the second but it was heartening to see us see the game out with no panic at all. 

Poplatnik was absolutely outstanding. His best performance for us by a mile. He is really coming on to a game and it's great to see. It was interesting to hear him reference Gibson in his post match interview - as shown towards the end of the match, it appears that the bold Wullie's temperament hasn't mellowed much over the years. 

All in all, it was a good match and great to see us lift a trophy. I would greatly recommend it to anyone who follows a team in the bottom three divisions. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

11 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

4momwz.jpg

13 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

Probably best to take your own advice.

10 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just catching up after watching the videos put up by Raith TV etc. 

Can only agree with most of the comments. Queens came out of the blocks very well and we were lucky to get through the first 15 minutes without conceding, so to then score with our first real attack was a huge bonus. After that I thought in general we were okay and might have had another couple of goals but, as was the case last week, we were an absolute bomb scare defending at set pieces and, after breaking the world record for attempts against the woodwork in 45 minutes of football, Queens finally got the goal that they deserved. 

The turning point was the tactical switch by McGlynn and we bossed the last 30 minutes (I would have hooked Ross for Zanatta). 

There's no doubt that their heads dropped after the second but it was heartening to see us see the game out with no panic at all. 

Poplatnik was absolutely outstanding. His best performance for us by a mile. He is really coming on to a game and it's great to see. It was interesting to hear him reference Gibson in his post match interview - as shown towards the end of the match, it appears that the bold Wullie's temperament hasn't mellowed much over the years. 

All in all, it was a good match and great to see us lift a trophy. I would greatly recommend it to anyone who follows a team in the bottom three divisions. 

I thought Gibson getting jeered when collecting his runners-up medal by the Raith fans was childish just because he played with the Pars.

13 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

I thought Gibson getting jeered when collecting his runners-up medal by the Raith fans was childish just because he played with the Pars.

There was a bit more to it than that. He'd been getting some stick in the last closing stages and he wasn't handling it too well, which is probably why there was so much booing. I must admit I was one that booed him for that reason, despite happily applauding the rest of them. 

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Really just Plunkett and a couple of Pars fans, that cant see anybody winning anything without having a dig

Sour grapes ? Just stating facts that have Sadly turned most of the Scottish support against you. Me ? I had nothing to do with it !