Hearts vs Dundee United 5th March 3pm/Does anybody remember Eamon Bannon?

9 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

He was, a few years after he retired he drunk in one of the pubs I frequented, before emigrating to Melbourne. He was a quiet sort, usually out with his wife. Sadly, he died of a heart attack at 49 years old.

Man, that’s no age. I think it was TT that my step dad described as a “tanner ba’ player”. 

22 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Gordon Petric was very good for us no idea how he did for hearts, Rudi Scakel was utter gash and an absolute wage thief at Utd. 

Petric was dug meat at Hearts. Not the good stuff in the wee foil packets either. A great big bag of smelly pellets with what looks like bits of fag ash and twigs in it. 

7 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

He was basic hamburger as opposed to dog food

But we’d been led to expect steak

To each their own I suppose. To go from Weir and Ritchie to James and Petric in such a short period of time was hard for me to take at the time. Even with the upgraded goalkeeper, it was disheartening. Around about the time Neilson would be breaking through too. Grant Murray… jeez. It’s a sobering reminder of how things can so quickly to turn to shit after some real highs.

Petric was obviously shite for us, but how shite I think is often exaggerated. He's remembered far more harshly because he cost so much money, and also because of his huge miss against Stuttgart that stopped us going through. 

He's spoken about a lot like he was one of our worst ever players but there was plenty games where he was decidedly average, which automatically makes him better than the likes of Kucharski and Barasa.

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Petric was obviously shite for us, but how shite I think is often exaggerated. He's remembered far more harshly because he cost so much money, and also because of his huge miss against Stuttgart that stopped us going through. 

He's spoken about a lot like he was one of our worst ever players but there was plenty games where he was decidedly average, which automatically makes him better than the likes of Kucharski and Barasa.

I think that’s fair. If he had the benefit of a stronger partner he might even have been considered good. James was much worse than Petric. The problem was, we had gone from always having a good central defence for about a decade or more prior to that: Jardine, Levein, MacPherson, McLaren, Weir, Ritchie. To suddenly find ourselves with James and Petric at the back was a massive step down from what we were used to. It probably did exaggerate things a bit by comparison.

The era of signing Petric and other assorted shite with the SMG money is essentially what led to administration.

We were chasing our tails from that point on, leading to the Murrayfield debacle, Vlad etc.

He was shite, but not particularly unusually shite. Just a bit shite. The issue was the cost.

My memory of Bannon was early 90s he used to do some punditry on sportscene. 

In those days other sports sometimes got highlights on the show so cue poor Eammon bring thrown a hospital pass by Dougie Donelly and asked to comment on Scotlands win over Ireland in the combined shinty/hurling match they had just watched.

Bannons comment that he would have expected the Irish to have an advantage as their sticks were like big wooden spoons is probably as much as could have been reasonably expected of him. Fair play.

11 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Gordon Petric was very good for us no idea how he did for hearts, Rudi Scakel was utter gash and an absolute wage thief at Utd. 

Sounds like Rudi was revenge for Petric then.

Jim Jefferies spunking all that money on someone as obviously shit as  Petric was about the only time I didn't think the great man could walk on water.

For tomorrow's game I think we'd have to go the exact same as Wednesday, our best performance for a while and I think it was a formation that made us look solid and allowed us to get the best from Beni & Devlin in the middle. Boyce had probably his best all round game for a while too.

9 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

If you can't spell Eamonn Bannon's name correctly you clearly don't remember him

Also

bowman_headshot.jpg

I never saw Davie Bowman for Hearts but according to londonhearts  he'd racked up almost 200 first team appearances before he left at the age of only 20 
https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/bowmandavid.html

Admittedly that wasn't a great Hearts side but he must have had something about him for Coventry to pay £170,000 for him.  Adjusted for inflation that's a couple of million

3 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

For tomorrow's game I think we'd have to go the exact same as Wednesday, our best performance for a while and I think it was a formation that made us look solid and allowed us to get the best from Beni & Devlin in the middle. Boyce had probably his best all round game for a while too.

With opponents now having to worry about Simms as well life has got a little easier for Boyce

We might see Ginnelly starting and GMS replacing him late on but it probably doesn't make much difference.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

The era of signing Petric and other assorted shite with the SMG money is essentially what led to administration.

We were chasing our tails from that point on, leading to the Murrayfield debacle, Vlad etc.

He was shite, but not particularly unusually shite. Just a bit shite. The issue was the cost.

The best way to explain Gordan Petric to younger readers.

Imagine Hearts had broken the club's transfer record to sign Andy Halliday

18 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

With opponents now having to worry about Simms as well life has got a little easier for Boyce

We might see Ginnelly starting and GMS replacing him late on but it probably doesn't make much difference.

I'd stick with GMS. He's been reasonably good the last few games, although he tired in the 2nd half. I think give someone a proper run of 4/5 games and you'll see the benefits rather than taking them in and out every other game.