Livi (the wee team) vs Celtic (the big team) - 6th March 2022

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

Also I find it Hilarious that Livi fans think they are hard done by the authorities given they pretty much stole another club, been in admin twice and frankly should have been relegated for the Kachloul debacle via a hefty points deduction.

You're mistaking us for Airdrie Utd M9.

Got the next bit right, last point is debatable, 1 out of 3, must do better.

Having watched the highlights, wow. How much help from officials do Celtic really need?

It's genuinely embarrassing the state of refereeing, and it's worse when they favour the old firm at every chance they get. Never a penalty by the letter of the law as he's using the hand to support himself, the second claim is similar as it's a deflection. The Rogic handball is debatable but it looks as though he actually handles it twice but even before that the ball has gone out of play directly in front of the linesman and he somehow misses it.

image.png.369d022e71595896020030b56eb605ac.png

What chance have you got when this is acceptable? Genuinely? Celtic deserved to win today but the officiating today ensured the win. Without that I'd say we had every chance of taking a point without deserving it to be fair.

I thought Obileye had an utter stinker today, as did Omeonga. I'd be getting Boyes in ASAP. We struggled to play much today but that's the quality of the opposition, dropping Anderson was a shocking decision though. Nouble would've had a wonderful afternoon playing against Taylor but Martindale was overthinking things again. 

I was most raging at Ayo to be honest because his passing is fucking woeful. He panics on the ball and his defending can be totally shocking at times too. I imagine Fitzwater is making him look far better than he actually is. His backpasses to Stryjek were the worst I've seen from him in a long time.

For as good as Forrest has been lately his greediness was clear as day. He costs us a lot in these bigger games by trying to over play too much and win a bigger contract elsewhere.

Edited by ATLIS

7 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Having watched the highlights, wow. How much help from officials do Celtic really need?

It's genuinely embarrassing the state of refereeing, and it's worse when they favour the old firm at every chance they get. Never a penalty by the letter of the law as he's using the hand to support himself, the second claim is similar as it's a deflection. The Rogic handball is debatable but it looks as though he actually handles it twice but even before that the ball has gone out of play directly in front of the linesman and he somehow misses it.

image.png.369d022e71595896020030b56eb605ac.png

What chance have you got when this is acceptable? Genuinely? Celtic deserved to win today but the officiating today ensured the win. Without that I'd say we had every chance of taking a point without deserving it to be fair.

I thought Obileye had an utter stinker today, as did Omeonga. I'd be getting Boyes in ASAP. We struggled to play much today but that's the quality of the opposition, dropping Anderson was a shocking decision though. Nouble would've had a wonderful afternoon playing against Taylor but Martindale was overthinking things again. 

I was most raging at Ayo to be honest because his passing is fucking woeful. He panics on the ball and his defending can be totally shocking at times too. I imagine Fitzwater is making him look far better than he actually is. His backpasses to Stryjek were the worst I've seen from him in a long time.

For as good as Forrest has been lately his greediness was clear as day. He costs us a lot in these bigger games by trying to over play too much and win a bigger contract elsewhere.

I did think it was a handball in the build up to Devlin's own goal, but no one seemed to call for it.  Thems the breaks I guess.  The referee definitely caved in to crowd on a few occasions.

Always intrigues me how fans can see things differently. I think we've played worse against Celtic and picked up points. I thought Obileye and Holt were our better performers yesterday. Not that good that they deserved to play on a winning team mind you. I just think that it's the best I've seen Celtic play against us in I dunno how long. Couple of tactical decisions from us that didn't work - Nouble isn't a lone striker, and it weakens the right hand side immeasurably when he's not played there. 

Re the refereeing - a couple of brutal mistakes in there which, had we had VAR, may or may not have been looked at. I'm not convinced VAR would have checked the corner award before the first goal. VAR would probably have awarded a second penalty for handball against Fitzwater in the first half. The first one, by the letter of the law, is a penalty but it's a crazy law seeing as the guy is supporting himself from falling as opposed to trying to stop the ball using his arm.

Mistakes from referees are nothing new, and they happen to all teams. Was it Teddy Jenks for Aberdeen vs St Johnstone earlier in the season where there was a blatant handball before he scored? I find the paranoia around refs really tiresome, and the idea that VAR is going to be some panacea is for the birds. I've no issue with them being criticised though - some of them are just really poor, although it's a job I wouldn't do for love nor money.     

Edited by mozam76
grammatically all over the place

For me, we lost to a fantastic Celtic side. The refereeing decisions never went in our favour but they haven't done so far this season and we've still managed to pick up points. 

What I laughed at, was the Celtic players and fans celebrating like they'd won an Old Firm derby at Ibrox, rather than a crappy wee team from West Lothian with the lowest budget in the league. 

We punch above our weight every season, we don't have the money that Celtic or any other teams have, which is why we allowed them to have 3 stands. 

It was great to see a sell out, it's just a shame we couldn't get a result. 

42 minutes ago, spiggle said:

For me, we lost to a fantastic Celtic side. The refereeing decisions never went in our favour but they haven't done so far this season and we've still managed to pick up points. 

What I laughed at, was the Celtic players and fans celebrating like they'd won an Old Firm derby at Ibrox, rather than a crappy wee team from West Lothian with the lowest budget in the league. 

We punch above our weight every season, we don't have the money that Celtic or any other teams have, which is why we allowed them to have 3 stands. 

Yes - I often thought the team under Lennon was so much style over substance. There were lots of big names on equally impressive salaries playing as individuals.

Unfortunately the team we faced on Sunday were very much a TEAM in the truest sense of the word; working for each other with a unified strategy.

To beat Celtic we really needed to be on the top of our game; unfortunately not to be but we can look forward now to the bounce back against Hearts ;) 

2 hours ago, mozam76 said:

Always intrigues me how fans can see things differently. I think we've played worse against Celtic and picked up points. I thought Obileye and Holt were our better performers yesterday. Not that good that they deserved to play on a winning team mind you. I just think that it's the best I've seen Celtic play against us in I dunno how long. Couple of tactical decisions from us that didn't work - Nouble isn't a lone striker, and it weakens the right hand side immeasurably when he's not played there. 

Re the refereeing - a couple of brutal mistakes in there which, had we had VAR, may or may not have been looked at. I'm not convinced VAR would have checked the corner award before the first goal. VAR would probably have awarded a second penalty for handball against Fitzwater in the first half. The first one, by the letter of the law, is a penalty but it's a crazy law seeing as the guy is supporting himself from falling as opposed to trying to stop the ball using his arm.

Mistakes from referees are nothing new, and they happen to all teams. Was it Teddy Jenks for Aberdeen vs St Johnstone earlier in the season where there was a blatant handball before he scored? I find the paranoia around refs really tiresome, and the idea that VAR is going to be some panacea is for the birds. I've no issue with them being criticised though - some of them are just really poor, although it's a job I wouldn't do for love nor money.     

It really isn't, they explained it far better on Sportscene than the clueless commentary that got it wrong. Fitz one wasn't either, ref got that one right. Made no odds anyway as McGregor missed it. They didn't think the handball was a foul, with it being so close to him, but the ball was actually out of play just before that, and should've been a throw in.

1 hour ago, spiggle said:

Massive complement to Livi and David Martindale having done so well against them.

Can understand the celebrations, they hadn't beaten us on our own astro since coming back up, or even going back to 2007? There was a big build up to the game making that point too, and it put them 3 pts ahead of Sevco for the title race, if there was a fixture they were looking at as being a stumbling block it was this one. Testament to how well we've done against them too, even at Celtic park, we've drawn with them, honours even this season with a win each and a draw, they looked really, really fired up for this game too, which has to be taken as a compliment to Livi.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It really isn't, they explained it far better on Sportscene than the clueless commentary that got it wrong. Fitz one wasn't either, ref got that one right. Made no odds anyway as McGregor missed it. They didn't think the handball was a foul, with it being so close to him, but the ball was actually out of play just before that, and should've been a throw in.

They didn't "explain" anything. They offered up an opinion of the incident given their interpretation of the rule. Same as the ref did. His interpretation of the law is it was a penalty. And therein lies the problem - it's a rule which is open to interpretation, when it shouldn't be. In fact, as has already been posted earlier in the thread, as recently as three years ago it WOULDN'T have been open to interpretation. The law at that time clearly stated that the ball striking a supporting arm would NOT result in a penalty. 

Whilst there is no doubt the ref and his officials were honking yesterday - it was encouraging to see Celtic more like there old selves compared to recent performances. Jota looked sharp again and the energy levels seemed to be back up. 
 We’ll see you at Celtic Park in a few weeks Livi I’m sure 👍

5 hours ago, spiggle said:

Can I just check what is the appropriate level of celebration when you’re going for a league title with only 8 games to play, 3 points of a difference and winning at a ground for the first time in 15 years?

Jazz hands?

Golf claps? 

30 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Can I just check what is the appropriate level of celebration when you’re going for a league title with only 8 games to play, 3 points of a difference and winning at a ground for the first time in 15 years?

Jazz hands?

Golf claps? 

Easy - polite applause with occasional utterances of "well done chaps"

Possibly accompanied with a rousing chorus of "Auld Lang Syne"

Glad to have been of assistance.

4 hours ago, mozam76 said:

They didn't "explain" anything. They offered up an opinion of the incident given their interpretation of the rule. Same as the ref did. His interpretation of the law is it was a penalty. And therein lies the problem - it's a rule which is open to interpretation, when it shouldn't be. In fact, as has already been posted earlier in the thread, as recently as three years ago it WOULDN'T have been open to interpretation. The law at that time clearly stated that the ball striking a supporting arm would NOT result in a penalty. 

Their 'opinion' was far better than the refs, or ignorant Sky commentary. No danger is it a penalty when the ball hits an arm of a player on the ground supporting himself with that arm. As Richard Foster said, he'd be lying on the ground wriggling about like a worm if he wasn't using his hand & arm to support himself, sure as hell wasn't 'making his body bigger' in an unnatural position as the Sky commentator claimed..

30 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Their 'opinion' was far better than the refs, or ignorant Sky commentary. No danger is it a penalty when the ball hits an arm of a player on the ground supporting himself with that arm. As Richard Foster said, he'd be lying on the ground wriggling about like a worm if he wasn't using his hand & arm to support himself, sure as hell wasn't 'making his body bigger' in an unnatural position as the Sky commentator claimed..

Who was on Co-Comms for the BBC Highlights? Whoever it was said it was a stone wall penalty but Richard Foster in the studio said it wasn't a penalty...which is confusing me because it sounded like Foster on co-comms.

47 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Or James McFadden, who said that the Livi defender deliberately put his arm down to block the ball, rather than to stop himself falling on his face. Say what you see, pundits, rather than try to be controversial.