11 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Great win for us today. Genuinely thought we would drop points. If we can get three points next week then it will make it very interesting as cove head into their tough run of away games. Although Clyde seem to be making a habit of picking up draws so hopefully continue next weekend.

Four away draws in a row, never drawn 5 in our history so we'll probably just need to win.

Stating the obvious and been said repeatedly but we have to beat Cove to have any chance. That cuts it down to 2 points over the 7 other games to play which is perfectly achievable.

I said a few weeks ago that our aim had to be to get to Cove's run of 4 tough away games still, at worst, 5 points behind. Although we've dropped points twice to Clyde we're 1 game away from doing that - although it will be very hard next week away to Falkirk while Cove have a game you'd expect them to win. If we match Cove's result next week I'll start to believe there's a decent chance as by that point we have a kinder run-in. We have 4 of the last 7 games at home while Cove have 2 of the last 7 at home. You'd obviously rather have the 5 point gap but the fixtures certainly favour us after next week.

Two wins in a week have me thinking that the mighty Queen's might just hold onto fourth place. Hopefully Simon Murray will return soon and Peter Grant stays fit. I can't see us setting the heather alight in the play offs and maybe returning to Lesser and winning games in League 1 would be better for us than facing some right gubbings in the Championship anyway.

Cove won't drop enough points for Airdrie to catch them. Airdrie reach the play off final but I'm not sure they're good enough to win it.

Based on what I've seen, there's not much between EF and the Sons  and I wouldn't be surprised if EF made an almighty leap to 9th. Dumbarton looked a poor outfit on Saturday. Again.

EF might struggle to avoid the drop though.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

On 05/03/2022 at 14:45, PortyMo said:

Top 3 to stay as they are but I can see Falkirk catching QP. Not because they are that good but because QP are flagging disastrously. 

Mo V Airdrie play off would be a tight one. Despite a 4-1 gubbing a couple of weeks ago, we have a really good record against them home and away. Would (will) be a hard one to call.

Very much this, out of all the teams in the playoff, that would be the game I'd be dreading the most.  It would be classic Airdrie to battle away all season playing some excellent stuff and then turn in an absolute nightmare in the 2nd vs. 3rd game!!

On 05/03/2022 at 19:52, Diamonds are Forever said:

Stating the obvious and been said repeatedly but we have to beat Cove to have any chance. That cuts it down to 2 points over the 7 other games to play which is perfectly achievable.

I said a few weeks ago that our aim had to be to get to Cove's run of 4 tough away games still, at worst, 5 points behind. Although we've dropped points twice to Clyde we're 1 game away from doing that - although it will be very hard next week away to Falkirk while Cove have a game you'd expect them to win. If we match Cove's result next week I'll start to believe there's a decent chance as by that point we have a kinder run-in. We have 4 of the last 7 games at home while Cove have 2 of the last 7 at home. You'd obviously rather have the 5 point gap but the fixtures certainly favour us after next week.

Exactly this.

I'm very much the pessimist, I don't think Cove will throw away a couple of games in the run in, but that's purely my opinion, I've got a funny feeling we'll go into the last day with a chance, only for it to go t*ts up.  This weekend, as you say is massive (aren't they all) Cove will be under real pressure to grind out results to keep them on top at these 4 away games, but its up to us to stay within touching distance also! exciting stuff.

20 hours ago, diamondman said:

Feels like money should be changing hands for a statement like that. A tad optimistic, sadly.

I will take a donation , Can of petrol ?,  your team is playing well , Murray has them on full gas ( i take gas as well as petrol )

Down to the last 7 games

Airdrie have 4 (h) and 3 (a)

HOME

QP, Cove, Dumbarton and Peterhead

AWAY

Montrose, East Fife and Clyde

Cove have 2 (h) and 5 (a)

HOME

Dumbarton & Alloa

AWAY

Airdrie, QP , Montrose, Falkirk, East Fife

Cove have a harder run in but they’re playing so well it’s hard to see who’s going to beat them.

what’s clear is the Airdrie have to beat Cove on 26th March and hope someone else can take points off Cove while maintaining a winning streak.

Odds are in favour of Cove but this is L1 football so anything could happen.

As a long suffering Airdrie fan it’s nice to at least be challenging for a league title - at last!!!

♦️♦️♦️

2 hours ago, weigh cider said:

Down to the last 7 games

HOME

AWAY

HOME

Dumbarton & Alloa

AWAY

Cove have a harder run in but they’re playing so well it’s hard to see who’s going to beat them.

what’s clear is the Airdrie have to beat Cove on 26th March and hope someone else can take points off Cove while maintaining a winning streak.

As a long suffering Airdrie fan it’s nice to at least be challenging for a league title - at last!!!

♦️♦️♦️

The next 2 weeks or so are crucial. If the gap is 5 or more after we visit the Exclesior then you'd think we'd see it out but conversely it's not inconceivable that we're 4 points behind going into our game against Queen's Park at the Tattiethad, which we play on the Sunday 3rd April. Airdrie play EF on the Saturday. Mitch and Rory are linking well at the moment, almost 40 goals between them. If they keep up the goal scoring run then we need to hope that will get us over the line.

Our next 4 games are certainly challenging to say the least. We are on a good run, so are Airdrie. If we end up in the playoffs and providing we can get Montrose I'd fancy us to beat whoever finishes 9th in the Championship, if Queen's haven't knocked them out already.

At the bottom end, the Sons are creaking and need some momentum . Oyinsan and MacLean are needed back ASAP to pose a true attacking threat. Carswell getting sent off doesn't help matters and the defence is leaking soft goals. East Fife could apply real pressure and even leapfrog into 9th with their next two fixtures. 

Intrigued to see what happens at the bottom as well as the top.

22 hours ago, weigh cider said:

Down to the last 7 games

HOME

AWAY

HOME

Dumbarton & Alloa

AWAY

♦️♦️♦️

Unfortunately even if things go our way this could come down to goal difference, and Cove are twelve ahead of us on that, we would need to really start winning games by substantial amounts.

If (and it's a big if) East Fife can repeat their sequence of 4 good performances out of their last 5 games then we have a chance. Dumbarton appear to be struggling, also Peterhead just now. Alloa can almost relax and think about next season, but unfortunately for us they have a game up next that would see a win put them into that mathematically safe middle of the table snuggle-cuddle zone (lucky sods). 

Guest Bluetoon
11 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

If (and it's a big if) East Fife can repeat their sequence of 4 good performances out of their last 5 games then we have a chance. Dumbarton appear to be struggling, also Peterhead just now. Alloa can almost relax and think about next season, but unfortunately for us they have a game up next that would see a win put them into that mathematically safe middle of the table snuggle-cuddle zone (lucky sods). 

Our games against Dumbarton and East Fife will determine where we finish. Lose both and we're in real danger of finishing bottom.