Complete copy from the Championship thread created today. Make no claims it isn't!

Last quarter is upon us and how do we see the ending. I'll start off but my prediction isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Champions: Cove*

Promotion playoff spots: Airdrie, Mo, Falkirk (Airdrie to go up against Dunfermline/QoS in the playoff)

Relegation Playoff: Dumbarton (stay up against Annan)

Relegated: East Fife

Seems nearly everyone in the league as of late is taking points off each other. Expect that will continue. Clyde and above are safe in my opinion although I can't see Clyde sneaking 4th as that will be a straight battle between QP and Falkirk. Latter will go right to the wire. Only chose Falkirk as think their strikers, who if hit a vein of form, could be decisive.

*Cove to win the title largely depends on how we and Airdrie fair in the next 2 games. We are Peterhead and Clyde at home, by absolute no means bankers, but if we get 6 points I think the gap could potentially extend and that would give us a commanding edge with 7 games remaining. Airdrie have Aloa and Falkirk away. 

Conversely if the gap remains 5 or lessens then we go 4 straight away games against currently 2nd-5th and I wouldn't be surprised to see Airdrie leading with a few matches to go.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

26 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Complete copy from the Championship thread created today. Make no claims it isn't!

Last quarter is upon us and how do we see the ending. I'll start off but my prediction isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Champions: Cove*

Promotion playoff spots: Airdrie, Mo, Falkirk (Airdrie to go up against Dunfermline/QoS in the playoff)

Relegation Playoff: Dumbarton (stay up against Anna)

Relegated: East Fife

Seems nearly everyone in the league as of late is taking points off each other. Expect that will continue. Clyde and above are safe in my opinion although I can't see Clyde sneaking 4th as that will be a straight battle between QP and Falkirk. Latter will go right to the wire. Only chose Falkirk as think they strikers who if hit a vein of form could be decisive.

*Cove to win the title largely depends on how we and Airdrie fair in the next 2 games. We are Peterhead and Clyde at home, by absolute no means bankers, but if we get 6 points I think the gap could potentially extend and that would give us a bigger edge with 7 games remaining. Airdrie have Queen's and Falkirk away. 

Conversely if the gap remains 5 or lessens then we go 4 straight away games against currently 2nd-5th and I wouldn't be surprised to see Airdrie leading with a few matches to go.

Airdrie have Alloa away, not Queen's Park. I have the fear for it to be honest, we lost there earlier this season and I'm sure they'll be desperate to get their first win under Brian Rice after being unfortunate to drop points last weekend. 

As far as the title race goes, I worry we might end up looking back at our two recent draws with Clyde as winnable games where we dropped points. If we can keep the gap to five points or less before the game between the sides later this month then we're still in with a chance, if it goes beyond five points before then Cove would need to really bottle it to not win it from there. As you say, Cove certainly have the better looking fixtures before then but if we can keep putting pressure on Cove and win that game then we'd have a lot of momentum for the final month. Unfortunately Airdrie's issue the last two seasons has been our results against the winner. In 2019/20 we lost 1-0 three times to Raith and finished five points behind them, last season we finished two points behind Thistle (albeit they probably would have won their final game if they needed to) after losing three times to them. Hopefully the point at Cove last month is a good psychological boost for the team but we really need to win the final game against them, especially as no one else seems to be able to beat them.

I think the top four will finish as it is, Queen's Park aren't great but I think they have enough to edge out Falkirk. I agree on everything else though, Peterhead and Alloa should have enough to edge out Dumbarton and it seems too late for East Fife, even if they have improved slightly recently.

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Airdrie have Alloa away, not Queen's Park. I have the fear for it to be honest, we lost there earlier this season and I'm sure they'll be desperate to get their first win under Brian Rice after being unfortunate to drop points last weekend. 

As far as the title race goes, I worry we might end up looking back at our two recent draws with Clyde as winnable games where we dropped points. If we can keep the gap to five points or less before the game between the sides later this month then we're still in with a chance, if it goes beyond five points before then Cove would need to really bottle it to not win it from there. As you say, Cove certainly have the better looking fixtures before then but if we can keep putting pressure on Cove and win that game then we'd have a lot of momentum for the final month. Unfortunately Airdrie's issue the last two seasons has been our results against the winner. In 2019/20 we lost 1-0 three times to Raith and finished five points behind them, last season we finished two points behind Thistle (albeit they probably would have won their final game if they needed to) after losing three times to them. Hopefully the point at Cove last month is a good psychological boost for the team but we really need to win the final game against them, especially as no one else seems to be able to beat them.

I think the top four will finish as it is, Queen's Park aren't great but I think they have enough to edge out Falkirk. I agree on everything else though, Peterhead and Alloa should have enough to edge out Dumbarton and it seems too late for East Fife, even if they have improved slightly recently.

Corrected. My brain knew that but my fingers didn't comply

Guest TedCrilly

I can’t see the league positions changing from how it’s looking right now. Only two positions I believe may flip are Alloa and Clyde.

Edited by TedCrilly

36 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It's far from over yet at the top imo. We haven't quite looked as sharp in front of goal as of late and its cost us points. We'll need to get back to being ruthless.

Although QoS beat us last night and looked improved since we beat them comfortably in the Scottish Cup they or Dunfermline/Ayr are certainly beatable. The early goal gave them something to hold on too and then played counterattack when they could get out. If it's us in the playoffs I'd fancy us to beat 9th over two legs (clearly biased). As my prediction above I think Airdire could do the same.

Montrose aren't to be forgotten about. None of us would really fancy playing against them in the playoffs.

Queen's with Fox and a fit Peter Grant should keep things tight. Need Jai/McHugh/Murray to chip in with a few more goals. 

Peterhead and Alloa I agree have too much quality to not pick up points and be dragged down.

I think the number of draws going around in this league is testimony to how wafer thin most games are, really not too many gimmes going about. EF and Dumbarton both going down, probably.

We're not winning the title, too many dropped points/careless performances at home have scuppered us. Might change my mind if we win our next three (beating Cove at home would open the door), but probably finishing 3rd or 4th and losing out in the playoffs I reckon. Would rather Airdrie won the league than Cove just to get them gone.

16 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

I will predict that making predictions about how this league will turn out is predictabily very unpredictable .

This is the most accurate prediction.

I predict top 3 as they are, Cove up, Airdrie 2nd / Mo 3rd / Falkirk for 4th spot, all going nowhere in the play offs

Fife Doon

Peterheed 9th, staying up

Given that my predictions have been quite good this season, I will have a go.

Our dropped points against Clyde will seriously impact.

Champions: Cove Rangers

I think that somehow Falkirk will catch QP to be  4th while Airdrieonians will stay ahead of Montrose.

East  Fife look to have too much to do so relegated.

In 9th Dumbarton as Peterhead have improved.

As to play off games at top and bottom, I will bide my time.

QP had to throw it away this season as we'll assuredly be late with the stadium and not available for the flag-raising in August. Lawrie Ellis, wearing a Gardner Speirs mask, will return to the technical area. Comfortable fifth will be our launch pad for next season. 

Cove will win and Airdrie will have a decent chance of promotion. Fife are doomed, sadly, and I'd be surprised if Dumbarton can't hold off the best of the rest in L2. 

Clyde and Falkirk to do a swap of strikers on a loan basis in the summer. Raith Rovers have to pay for both.

Guest Bluetoon

Champions - Cove

Play-off's - Airdrie, Montrose & Falkirk (Airdrie winning)

Relegated - East Fife

8th & 9th - Between Alloa, Dumbarton and ourselves, but think we should be ok.

If airdrie drops any points in the next two games then I think that will be it over (assuming cove win their two home games). As mentioned earlier, I suspect airdrie will look at the two draws at home against Clyde as the games that lost them the league.

I think Cove can only throw them being champions away.

21 hours ago, Bluetoon said:

Champions - Cove

Play-off's - Airdrie, Montrose & Falkirk (Airdrie winning)

Relegated - East Fife

8th & 9th - Between Alloa, Dumbarton and ourselves, but think we should be ok.

It's a brave man that thinks Falkirk will make the play offs for promotion though. Good luck to them, the championship needs them after all. It's been a few years since Brechin were there 🤭

And Airdrie good enough to go up via the play offs?

I take it you don't do the lottery then?

35 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

I think Cove can only throw them being champions away.

It's a brave man that thinks Falkirk will make the play offs for promotion though. Good luck to them, the championship needs them after all. It's been a few years since Brechin were there 🤭

And Airdrie good enough to go up via the play offs?

I take it you don't do the lottery then?

Airdrie always blow it in the playoffs. Hibs, Ayr United, Stirling Albion, Dumbarton, Brechin, Alloa, Clyde & Morton.

Cove champions, Airdrie, Montrose, Queens Park thereafter, but no promotion for any of those. Think we will shitfest our way to fifth. East Fife relegated, then whoever finishes in the relegation play off spot to stay up. 

Top 3 to stay as they are but I can see Falkirk catching QP. Not because they are that good but because QP are flagging disastrously. 

Mo V Airdrie play off would be a tight one. Despite a 4-1 gubbing a couple of weeks ago, we have a really good record against them home and away. Would (will) be a hard one to call.

Great win for us today. Genuinely thought we would drop points. If we can get three points next week then it will make it very interesting as cove head into their tough run of away games. Although Clyde seem to be making a habit of picking up draws so hopefully continue next weekend.