Arbroath vs Dunfermline - Sat 5th Mar

2 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

We seemed to be quite happy to let Dunfermline have the ball with the view they wouldn't score. Risky but worked out in the end.

Don’t think that’s the case at all. We just cannot keep a hold of the ball for any length of time, like a hot tattie. Been like that since Hamilton at home in midweek. Glad there is a 7 day break for them now. 

Superb disciplined and fighting display from the Red Lichties against a very good Pars team (HOW are they bottom of the league with a squad like that?) today.

Sir DC was superb when questioned on the performance on AFC TV after the game as he replied "At this stage of the season i am not caring about performances as it is all about points and we got 3 points today" and the Gaffer was spot on, yes the Pars hit woodwork twice and had a few chances but we had 3 clear cut chances from Hammy, McKenna and Stewart and each of them should have scored.

Superb today lads and what an effort, Smokies & Wine 36-0.

A hu..fucking..mongous three points for Arbroath, not a great performance but top marks for grit and determination. The Pars had a good few chances and will be wondering how they lost....but we don't care.

C'mon the Lichties

Great win and pleasing 3 points. Another clean sheet racked up aswel, lost count of how many we’ve had now.

Big shout out to some our squad players coming in and doing a job, David Gold has been really good despite being out for a while. 

25 minutes ago, Islay said:

There’s only one team that deserved to win that - Dunfermline . However, that’s not how football works. Arbroath are fully deserving of the 3 points as they actually managed to score a goal. We, again, were woeful in front of it and deserved the result.

We deserved to win and deserved the result (i.e. to lose)?

We seemed to be quite happy to let Dunfermline have the ball with the view they wouldn't score. Risky but worked out in the end.

Would love to hear Dick Campbell announcing that plan in the dressing room before the game.

“Listen lads, these guys are shite eh so just lit thum huv the baw and they’ll no dae f**k all.”

Another thing i meant to add was EVERY Red Lichtie player's efforts today was spot on and fought for the cause.

I could not argue with DC's starting XI but i never agreed with the positions he put the players in as i would have started with Goldie at right back and Stewart right midfield with Hendo in the centre with C. Hamilton and Bobby wide left midfield, but the Gaffer was spot on changing it at half time as all the Pars pressure was coming down their left hand side with Dow their main threat.

Great to see all our subs played their part with Thomson/Craigen/Hilson/Big Luke putting in a great shift when they came on.

Well done lads, Smokies & Wine 36-0.

Classic case of the team struggling near the bottom getting no breaks. Dunfermline hitting woodwork three times made for a nervy game in which, unusually, we had a lot less possession.   But we were fairly wasteful with decent chances we had.  But the Arbroath defence is solid and our midfield tenacious (is that not 14 clean sheets - one in every two games?).   We could really do with Nicky Low back to assert some control in the midfield.  One flash of quality from. McKenna and Hamilton set up the only goal - most of Golds rare goals are when he arrives late into the box.

Like most recent games, this was not a comfortable afternoon but delighted to take the win after 4 draws.  John Hughes always gives a fair assessment but the Pars just need results, lucky breaks or whatever.

Edited by Farflung

With that squad they can’t go down surely. Centre half pairing he has assembled is completely baffling but Lawless, Dorrans, Thomas, Polworth all on in midfield at the same time the day. Lawless was a standout first half I thought. Dorrans zinging it about. Much better than the 3 games v them previous they finish 9th their safe. Whoever finishes 9th is safe I think