Motherwell v Ross County - Wed, 2nd March

Back in Sept, County were unlucky in 1st match at Fir Park losing 2-1 to a late Tony Watt goal.

Then at home in Jan, County won 3-1 despite being down to 10 men for most of the 2nd half.

For once, I'm confident of another County win. While a long way from guaranteed safety, County have players with both quality and confidence, know they will be playing for some other team next season (Charles-Cook especially), but can see some good results coming our way in next couple of months.  Top 6 is possible, never know! Just a shame to not be in the Scottish cup as a cup run would have been nice. If County can get another couple of wins soon, it would make all the relegation talk completely disappear. An away win here followed by a home win against St. Mirren on Sat and County will be focusing on the top half of the table. 

This would be a good game to get a result in, given the wain battering saints play the h***. However... Motherwell will be right up for this after Saturday.

I was impressed with them in the 3-1 game up in Dingwall, so I see a tough game come Wednesday. Nice to be confident that the team is good enough to cause problems to anyone in the league, would be even nicer if we could get the first goal for a wee change. Can see a couple of changes for this one given the run of games, but hopfully see more of the same from Saturday.

Edited by central staggie

I would like 6 points from next two home games. But 4 is probably more realistic.

Don’t care how it happens. Win midweek draw Saturday or vice versa. Of course if we could win tomorrow then the prospect of 6 points is a thing.

Anything less and we may just make top 6 but Europe is not looking likely. 4 from 24 points is embarrassing but our losses were to Hearts, Dee Utd and Ross C away and Celtic at home. Draws v Aberdeen, Hibs, St Mirren and Rangers. 

Ross C have good players especially in Regan Cook and Callachan. They will probably play better football in stages but we can be a tough team to play against. Just ask Rangers. 

God knows what the team will be. He clearly played a lot of fringe players v Rangers but somehow we delivered a shock result. Wonder if Van Veen is fit. No point risking him. 

SODs should stay as RB. Woolery should start also. I would play Shaw in midfield with OHara and Donnelly. 

A win would be a huge boost for the remaining games and would give us the momentum to grab top 6. But I will go for a score draw 1-1 or 2-2. 

I'm another who wouldn't be surprised to see a draw here.

For all there's been hand wringing about how we've not won a (league) game in 2022 we've only lost 1 at home in all competitions in our last 9 (against Celtic) and 4 over the whole season (Hibs on the opening day then Celtic x2 and Rangers).

It kind of feels like we've got our fairly shitty run of fixtures since the winter break out the way now where we ended up having to play all the top 6. Of our last 8 league games 5 were away from home losing 4 but we drew 2 of our 3 home games and lost against Celtic.

Also, Alexander's touchline ban is up so he'll be back in place to berate officials. Alexander looked like he was ready to murder someone after the last game against County up in Dingwall so hopefully the issues we've had with complacency in the past don't creep in.

We've developed a bad habit of going behind in games recently (it's happened in 9 of our last 10 in all competitions) so it'd be nice if we could cut that out and get back to winning games of fitba' (in the league).

f**k knows what sort of team we'll put out since as much as the draw against Rangers at Ibrox on Sunday felt like a win (and was very, very funny) there were a bunch of players who put in performances that hadn't been starting recently who could easily have pushed themselves into contention.

Edited by capt_oats

I'll take a draw. Motherwell haven't been in great form but they're a decent side. A point should be us move further away from St. Johnstone as they're likely to get turfed over by Rangers.

I'm split between heart and head on this one...the latter has seen me make a modest investment in County (close to a mind-boggling 3/1!!!) but the former has given me a wee feeling we'll sneak it. Possibly just because I'm back in the country for it.

As for the team, who knows...Kelly obviously and I'd definitely keep Carroll at LB and have Lamie inside of him. I'd be tempted to stick with Mugabi and SOD but I wouldn't be averse to SSJ or Ojala coming in and Mugabi going to RB.

Midfield, god knows. Shaw has earned a start and I don't see us dropping Donnelly. If we assume Slattery remains persona non grata I'd give MOH the nod in the other spot but Cornelius has his claim.

Up front equally random. Woolery will obviously keep his place and it's harsh to say Amaluzor and Roberts haven't played themselves in as well but if KVV is fit I'd still bin one of them and play the other.

Without context a point wouldn't be a disaster but with the situation what it is we need to be going out to win this one...2-1. Maybe.

County have every right to be confident here - they look like a good team almost every time I see them on TV, they score a lot of goals (and we concede far too many) and they win at Fir Park pretty regularly. 

On the other side - we are hard to beat at Fir Park this season and you'd imagine the team will have had a much needed confidence boost from coming back from 2 down at Ibrox, which is a really rare thing to do.

I would imagine that (injuries aside), the team will look more like the one that started against Aberdeen than the one that started against Rangers - Woolery and Shaw would be obvious candidates for a start...

By our support's standards, people have more or less kept the heid throughout a patchy run since the new year, mainly because we've been on a genuinely tough run of fixtures - the other side of that contract is the expectation and need to take a decent haul of points out of the next 15 available to see us into the Top 6 safely, so there is a bit of pressure there.

Narrow home win is my hope.

After several players who've been on the fringes coming in at the weekend and staking their claim for a start, I have no idea what line up to expect. Alexander will probably be on the phone to the National Lottery for a loan of Guinivere and set of balls number 6 and just go with the first 11 that pop out.

Like a few others who have already posted, I've also been pretty impressed with what I've seen of County, and see this being a really tight affair .Would be delighted to shitfest our way to any form of win. Clean sheets really haven't been our thing at all, so I'll go for a 2-1 home win.

4 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

After several players who've been on the fringes coming in at the weekend and staking their claim for a start, I have no idea what line up to expect. Alexander will probably be on the phone to the National Lottery for a loan of Guinivere and set of balls number 6 and just go with the first 11 that pop out.

Like a few others who have already posted, I've also been pretty impressed with what I've seen of County, and see this being a really tight affair .Would be delighted to shitfest our way to any form of win. Clean sheets really haven't been our thing at all, so I'll go for a 2-1 home win.

There was a run after the 1-6 against Rangers where we seemed to sort things out a bit with 4 clean sheets from 8 games and specific to home games we only conceded 1 goal in 4.

The Dundee game at Dens was very much an outlier:

1485966767_ScreenShot2022-03-01at11_38_52.thumb.png.756aaca18c52196208531388aba796d0.png

Post winter-break has been very different - 1 clean sheet in 10.

151796829_ScreenShot2022-03-01at11_52_09.thumb.png.78978576b33ecd9377aabad0497f82f8.png

Edited by capt_oats

A good snapshot of 2022 so far.

Most of us are omitting cup games when talking about current form. At least I was. 

But the stats are actually a little better. We have played 10 games this year and lost only 4. Only lost one home game and that was against Celtic. 

I am a lot more confident now………………………Motherwell 1 Ross County 3 🙈

Apart from Kelly, I don't have a clue what the team will be. I'd like to see us go with this however: Kelly; SOD, Mugabi, Lamie, Carroll; O'Hara, Shaw, Tierney; Woolery, KVV, Roberts.

Hopefully KVV is fit enough to start but if not then start Efford.

County have impressed me any time I've seen them lately. Hungbo and RCC are on top form, RCC in particular can stake a claim for the leagues player of the year and given our tendency to go behind in games they worry me. All that being said, I hope/expect that coming back and getting a point at the weekend has given us a much needed confidence boost and like most who have posted already I can see it being a draw but I really hope we can find a way to get a first league win since boxing day. Head says 2-2, heart says 2-1.

If we win this we can start looking at the top 6. Our style is probably best suited to away games with the pace we have to break on teams. Hopefully Sims is fit and can get minutes as he's probably our replacement for RCC next season.

Laidlaw Ramsay Baldwin Iacovitti Randall Paton Tilson Callachan Hungbo White RCC 

this would be my line up personally, Motherwell are rapid and I don't like the thought of Watson at right back against Woolery or Roberts.

2-1 county with RCC and White (I know) scoring

I think the template from the last time at Fir Park will be fine - play shite for the entirety of the match but win anyway. Always worth enjoying the sumptuous assist from Dundee-bound Ricki Lamie again (ignore the goalscorer obviously)

Next games seem winnable, and we have good home form this season. Looking for at least 3/4 points this week to keep us on track. 

Alexander to make 6 or 7 changes as if he's Jurgen Klopp going from Champions League to a Premier League game.