The Annexed Goodwillie Thread

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What a vile c**t. Wouldn’t piss on him if he was on fire.

I’m sure wee Frank or Raith slaver will be along at any moment to leap to his defence.

I haven't read his statement yet but it didn't take long for the usual wankers from other clubs like you to stick your nose in other folks business. As for the Rovers contingent on here other than a grovelling apology still wouldn't suffice the vast majority will still support the club.

It's probably for the best he's the distant owner in Thailand and we barely ever hear from him. I dread to think what sort of other shit he might come out with. Trumpesque drivel to bat away the question of how much Goodwillie will cost us as well, to compound the misery of his "Why you upset?" Statement. 

It'll take a very, very long time to do it, but there's confirmation if we really needed it that we need to get Sim out of the club, by whatever means possible. 

Am afraid that that statement indefinitely puts paid to any sort of financial support I might give the club. 

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

For those without subscription, what does he say?

John Sim has claimed his first instinct was to ‘close the club’ after it became apparent David Goodwillie would have no future at Raith Rovers.

In an exclusive interview with Courier Sport, the Rovers owner has expressed his sympathy for Goodwillie and described the backlash to his signing as ‘appalling’.

The former Scotland striker, branded a rapist by a civil court judge in 2017, joined Raith on January 31.

The Fifers paid a fee in the region of £50,000 and handed the player a contract until 2024.

Sponsor Val McDermid walked away from the club, directors Bill Clark and Andrew Mill resigned and the Ladies team severed all ties with the club. A swathe of volunteers also quit.

And Rovers were forced into a chastening U-turn, loaning Goodwillie back to Clyde a month later.

“I’m appalled by the reaction to it and, initially, my reaction was, ‘well, if he can’t play for the club, let’s close the club’,” said Sim. “I didn’t think it was fair.

“The guy has been playing at Clyde for years. He’s been coaching, been their captain and won player of the month awards.

“Surely you need to move on and let the guy pick up the pieces.

“How much do you punish someone? Since I’ve been knee-high to a grasshopper, I’ve believed in forgiving but not necessarily forgetting.

I feel for David, and I feel for his wife and daughter.”

‘There are 41 other football teams’

Sim does wield that power.

He is the majority shareholder of the football club. He also runs Stark’s Park Properties Ltd, the separate entity which owns Rovers’ stadium. Sim’s control is, for all intents and purposes, absolute.

Nevertheless, he is keen to point out that the decision to sign Goodwillie was a collaborative one.

“There were seven people involved in the decision-making process and I was the chairman,” he continues.

Could I have vetoed it? Yes. But you’ve got to back your people; the management team, the CEO and the people on the ground. Whatever people may think of me, I’m not a dictator.”

As such, many believed — and many still do — there should be consequences for those who voted in favour of Goodwillie’s signing: Steven MacDonald, commercial director Tom Morgan, company secretary David Sinton and Sim.

MacDonald has just succeeded Sim as chairman.

Susan Simpson has joined the board but Sim contends that has nothing to do with the Goodwillie debacle. It is a case of building a better HR infrastructure.

“I don’t think the board did anything wrong,” Sim continues, in spite of the public apologies made by the club.

“In retrospect, it might have been easier to do things differently. But I back my people, not Val McDermid or anyone else.”

For those disillusioned, angry fans who still feel unable to attend matches at Stark’s Park, Sim’s message is brusque.

“I respect their judgement — and there are 41 other football teams,” he continues.

A somewhat unfeeling attitude towards lifelong supporters, this reporter suggests.

“I’ve supported Raith Rovers all my life too, so why can’t we support Raith Rovers and accept that we have differing opinions?”

Fake News

Sim describes talk of a Goodwillie-related financial black hole as ‘fake news’.

He claims the club are in a healthier position in terms of sponsorship than they were prior to the controversy.

Nevertheless, having publicly declared they will not field Goodwillie, Rovers are now faced with the prospect of annulling his contract — a costly proposition — or finding a buyer.

“I think we need to think about what he wants,” continues Sim. “As I understand it, because of the strain this has put on his wife and daughter, he doesn’t want to play in Scotland.

“But he wants to play football — so he will play somewhere. At the moment, Clyde are paying part of his wages.

“Firstly, legal obligations are legal obligations. Secondly, we’ve got two estimates in for immediate repairs to the North and South Stands coming in at £600,000.

“Paying one player isn’t a big deal in the big scheme of things.”

Asked whether any thought had been given to the well-being of Goodwillie’s victim, Denise Clair — not mentioned in any of Rovers’ public statements — he continued: “I am sorry she went through what she went through.

“I have sympathy for her. Both of them have paid dearly. If I could help her, I would, just as I’d try to help him.”

John McGlynn contract hint

Sim, slightly hangdog when discussing football matters, shows far more passion for his endeavours around the stadium and Kirkcaldy.

A Community Hub outside the stadium.

The Portakabin hospitality — to be christened ‘The Dugout’ — inside Stark’s Park.

The prospect of a new artificial pitch being laid, allowing Raith’s current surface to be transported to a yet-to-be-decided location and utilised as a training pitch and local resource.

Sim also dropped a major hint that manager John McGlynn could stay beyond the summer expiry of his contract — should he desire.

He added: “I talk to John frequently and my view is that we are happy he is here and we’re not looking for anybody else. Does John want to continue? I hope so.”

5 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

I haven't read his statement yet but it didn't take long for the usual wankers from other clubs like you to stick your nose in other folks business. As for the Rovers contingent on here other than a grovelling apology still wouldn't suffice the vast majority will still support the club.

If you think that statement is anything other than an absolute fucking disgrace then I'd respectfully suggest you avoid handing your computer into PC World for repair anytime soon. Jesus fucking christ. 

Well, that's the equivalent of stopping a fire in your house only to watch someone chuck a molotov cocktail through the window. 

A lot to unpack from the article. I'd heard from a few folk who are in the loop that the feeling among the board was one of "we don't actually see what we've done wrong" so this isn't really news. It's absolutely galling to see Sim come out and effectively run a Putinesque line of "If we can't do this we'll escalate substantially". He's moaning about the lack of fairness when he was sent dozens of emails from fans to say "do not sign this player" only for them to ignore them and plough on anyway.

He's talking about how he feels for David, but he's shown no consideration for how the supporters of the club feel. We've been lied to, misled and now we're having to put up with this shite. Goodwillie has never shown an ounce of remorse. While he's been playing for Clyde, that doesn't mean that we should be signing him. Especially when the most important people at the club, our supporters, are vocal about not signing him. 

There's two bits which stick out as being really frustrating. Firstly, there's the half arsed expressions of sympathy (which definitely isn't an apology) to Denise Clair. Then secondly he's telling lapsed fans "there's 41 other clubs out there". It's fucking ridiculous that we've severed ties with so many people, only to tell them that their connection to Rovers is meaningless and that they can pick up another club like they don't have emotional ties. 

We're in a truly shite state just now. I'd love to see some form of action but we need to be realistic. The truth is that we're in a position where unless someone rocks up and provides a 7 figure sum, we're always going to be in Sim's pocket. The main focus needs to be on how we make changes over time. 

25 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

It got a half hearted retraction but they meant none of it.  Sim wont be forced out hes shown before his stubbornness.

McGlynn at least showed proper remorse for the whole situation and faced the media unlike Sim who has hid away until now and pretty much told the fans go support someone else and if you disagree I may even shut the doors....  

McGlynn showed nothing of the sort, he gave a shite apology how long after the event, after how many times in front of the camera? If McGlynn had an ounce of remorse, an ounce of integrity would he have stayed working for Sim? As it is there pals who talk to each other all the time. 

This is the first Sims mentioned shutting the doors, Raith fans have just given him, and McGlynn an utter free pass. 

That interview is...quite something. When you read the "we got it wrong" statement and juxtapose it with that I'd be a bit concerned, who on the RR board actually thinks they made a mistake with this or are they all just entirely playing to the gallery with their initial apology? 

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

That interview is...quite something. When you read the "we got it wrong" statement and juxtapose it with that I'd be a bit concerned, who on the RR board actually thinks they made a mistake with this or are they all just entirely playing to the gallery with their initial apology? 

Aye, he’s basically just admitting that statement was a load of bollocks that nobody really believed and was just released to try and save face.

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

If you think that statement is anything other than an absolute fucking disgrace then I'd respectfully suggest you avoid handing your computer into PC World for repair anytime soon. Jesus fucking christ. 

Even if you take signing an unrepentant rapist out of the question, the explicit attitude of "it's my club, if you don't like what I do then you can f**k off and I'll liquidate it" should have alarm bells ringing for every fan of the club.

Unless they're at it and don't really give a shit, of course.

10 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Like I said I hadn't read it as to why it bothers you beggars belief. 

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

McGlynn showed nothing of the sort, he gave a shite apology how long after the event, after how many times in front of the camera? If McGlynn had an ounce of remorse, an ounce of integrity would he have stayed working for Sim? As it is there pals who talk to each other all the time. 

This is the first Sims mentioned shutting the doors, Raith fans have just given him, and McGlynn an utter free pass. 

He was the only one to sit in front of a camera and offer anything.

In regards to shutting the door.  I never said it was threatened before where I’m coming from is, if we go down your route and boycott and protest this is what is going through his mind he’s got the power to do it. 

We are stuck with this mob until someone with money comes forward and even then Sim might not sell. 

Well, this is certainly keeping Rovers in the headlines. John obviously goes with the ‘no publicity is bad publicity’ line of thought.

Watch as Goodwillie starts up front in the League Cup games. John will then give another masterful interview about how Rovers are into rehabilitation and if you don’t like that you can suck his cock and away and follow Kelty.

5 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

You're fundamentally too thick to contribute to this discussion. Please leave. 

Get off your soapbox! It wouldn't be a bad thing if you did f**k off and support someone else. Vals ladies perhaps?

Based on the posts above I see this guy Sims lives in Thailand is that right?

The interview is bad on it’s own but it’s another kick in the teeth for those who work in and around the club. The whole situation had died down a fair bit and now it’s going to be all over press and social media again for the next few days if not weeks.

What about the reaction from Rovers fans etc was 'appalling' to this c**t? And why would he close the club over one player, a player who is a rapist?

“I’ve supported Raith Rovers all my life too, so why can’t we support Raith Rovers and accept that we have differing opinions?” Says the man who said he thought about shutting down the club because people disagreed with him, and who is now telling a load of Rovers fans to f**k off and support someone else because they didn't want a rapist playing for their club.

'He claims the club are in a healthier position in terms of sponsorship than they were prior to the controversy.' Pure Trump level nonsense.

Also, Clyde are paying part of his wages? Why? Utter, utter mugs.

11 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

Like I said I hadn't read it as to why it bothers you beggars belief. 

That's a lovely collection of alphabetic characters you've got there. Could you be so kind as to arrange them into a coherent sentence?

Obviously I'm aware that you are too fucking thick to have even got your own username right, but worth a shot anyway.