The Annexed Goodwillie Thread

18 minutes ago, Roland said:

Just hope ICT get him signed up asap would get us promoted, top player, top goalscorer. Win the playoffs, even the league with him in our team. No brainer!

He had already faced 2 court cases, criminal trial dismissed due to 'insufficient evidence' (most important by the way) civil case run its course. Well in the past now, he deserves another chance, good luck to him.

As for all the hypocrite, band wagon jumpers, where were your protests before? Nowt said from any of you all time he played for Clyde before. Did it not matter then? Obviously not... Why the silence? Explain me that, but you won't.. 

If you all feel so strongly that an injustice has been done, put your money where your mouth is and go fund a criminal retrial. Or at least protest, yet anything that involves action on your part your all strangely silent. 

Your words here are not going to change a thing, act now, or shut the f*** up. 

I9V8UhES04KAaYY_F9AJ9Jo8IbrM_gFOxWXBsvsmxYw.jpg

From BBC:

The entire playing squad and general manager of Clyde's women's team have quit the club after the men's side re-signed David Goodwillie.

And North Lanarkshire Council - who own the club's stadium - say they will not renew Clyde's lease when it expires in May 2023 and will end it sooner if the club allow Goodwillie into Broadwood.

The striker, who was judged in a civil court in 2016 to be a rapist, this week returned to the part-time Scottish League 1 club after a backlash met his January move to full-time Raith Rovers.

Rovers said the 32-year-old would not play for them following several high-profile sponsors and board members leaving in protest and loaned him back to Clyde - where he spent five years.

However, the former Scotland international's return to Broadwood has now sparked more anger.

"All of the players in the ladies team have discussed the situation with the general manager/secretary and are all in agreement that we no longer wish to play for Clyde FC," the women's team said in a statement.

"As a group of female footballers, all we wish to do is play the sport that we love but due to the current circumstances we are unable to do this. 

"At this time we wish to ensure the well-being and privacy of our players therefore we would ask that players are not approached personally for comment regarding this matter."

North Lanarkshire Council have written to Clyde stating that Goodwillie "must not be permitted access to the stadium, for any purpose, with immediate effect". 

The local authority have cited a clause in the tenancy where a person can be denied entry "on the grounds of undesirable behaviour".

In a statement, they added: "The council believes in rehabilitation... however, Mr Goodwillie has not expressed any contrition. 

"We regret that this action is necessary. However, the council has a responsibility to the wider community to act, and to send a clear signal that abuse must not be tolerated."

The council also said they did not act in this manner during Goodwillie's first spell at Clyde because the stadium was not legally under their control at that time.

Hypocritical to say the least, the council were for the last 5 years happy to have him play, train, captain and even play with thier logo splattered over thier shirt. So the woman's team were quite happy to play for Clyde prior to January.

Christ almighty. How many times? Read the council statement. 
I'm sorry but unless it changed to NL trust for ownership, I've never heard anything other than the council owning the stadium. I've lived and worked in the nauld for 19 years. Sounds like absolute shite to me.

Yeah, unless the ownership of the ground has changed since 31st Jan then the council are being a bit disingenuous.

They’re not really taking a stand against having a rapist playing at their ground, they’re simply trying to avoid some bad PR.

The stance of the womens team is also a bit strange. I mean it’s totally understandable but why did it take the outrage when he signed for Raith to prompt them to make this decision when nothing else is different between now and January? I’ll cut them some slack though as maybe they felt emboldened by the stance the Raith ladies took.

Of course if the change in ground ownership did indeed happen during February then I’m speaking pish above but it seems unlikely.

Sorry, I know it's bad form to repost your own stuff from other threads, but the why-now-not-before thing really is a load of nowt. Let's just appreciate the right thing being done now.

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

The why-not-five-years ago argument is a red herring. That's not to say it's not a reasonable question in and of itself, but the circumstance now is different to the one five years back - or even five weeks back. Like someone said above, landscapes change, and that means behaviour has to be viewed in the context of that landscape. So sign him right at this moment in time, in the teeth of the publicity, is a quite deliberate choice and statement and a deliberate f**k you to victims of sexual violence over and above the prior history.

Of course there's a bit of hypocrisy but that's how things change in the world. People take a stand, and other people notice. Slowly but surely (or in this case, fueled by social media, quite quickly)...society changes.

It's definitely a sign of progress.

Goodwillie will be looking around thinking he's the victim of a witch-hunt, and if this had happened 15-20 years ago I reckon he'd have got away with it with very little fuss created.

But f**k him. He can feel sorry for himself all he likes. Maybe roland will take him for a pint to help down his sorrows.

7 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Yeah, unless the ownership of the ground has changed since 31st Jan then the council are being a bit disingenuous

The stadium had previously been under the management of North Lanarkshire Leisure Ltd, a separate entity to the council, but is now directly under council control.

Statement: Clyde FC | North Lanarkshire Council

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Just hope ICT get him signed up asap would get us promoted, top player, top goalscorer. Win the playoffs, even the league with him in our team. No brainer!

He had already faced 2 court cases, criminal trial dismissed due to 'insufficient evidence' (most important by the way) civil case run its course. Well in the past now, he deserves another chance, good luck to him.

As for all the hypocrite, band wagon jumpers, where were your protests before? Nowt said from any of you all time he played for Clyde before. Did it not matter then? Obviously not... Why the silence? Explain me that, but you won't.. 

If you all feel so strongly that an injustice has been done, put your money where your mouth is and go fund a criminal retrial. Or at least protest, yet anything that involves action on your part your all strangely silent. 

Your words here are not going to change a thing, act now, or shut the f*** up. 

You're absolutely shite at this.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

So there was a change of management but not ownership. 

The Council (should have?) had control through its contract with NLLL but did not exercise it.

Given the Council's convenient excuse, that contract should be published on its website.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

So there was a change of management but not ownership. 

The Council (should have?) had control through its contract with NLLL but did not exercise it.

Given the Council's convenient excuse, that contract should be published on its website.

Judging by comments on the Clyde thread, the club and trust never enjoyed a harmonious relationship, in respect of the council, they would have seen their stars aligning and struck to remove a painful thorn in their side.

I did read the statement before commenting- my point was that it doesn’t mention when the change was made, and unless it was between 31st Jan and now then it’s not entirely honest.

But then Yoss popped up and made a very good point so although I still stand by my post, perhaps it doesn’t matter…..

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but would we be here if David Goodwillie had never left Clyde in January?

For what it's worth my opinion has never changed, until he shows some contrition he deserves everything that comes his way on a football pitch.

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Judging by comments on the Clyde thread, the club and trust never enjoyed a harmonious relationship, in respect of the council, they would have seen their stars aligning and struck to remove a painful thorn in their side.

Does the council have any other significant sources of income from the stadium? It could be a costly liability next year.

Does the council have any other significant sources of income from the stadium? It could be a costly liability next year.
Cumbernauld colts run age 5 upwards on the pitch, full lowland league team. They did have in the past Scotland woman's rugby but I don't know if that's still the case.

1 minute ago, jaggyness said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but would we be here if David Goodwillie had never left Clyde in January?

For what it's worth my opinion has never changed, until he shows some contrition he deserves everything that comes his way on a football pitch.

The answer appears to be a big NO and II agree with your opinion.

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Cumbernauld colts run age 5 upwards on the pitch, full lowland league team. They did have in the past Scotland woman's rugby but I don't know if that's still the case.

Tbh, I'd forgotten about the Colts. 

Clyde is the unwanted tenant that Council wants to get rid of asap. It would be better off moving back to its roots.

ETA - Do Kirkintilloch Rob Roy play there? IIRC they moved there from Adamslie Park a few years ago.

Edited by Bishop Briggs