Raith Rovers vs Ayr, 5 March

42 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Two ways of potentially looking at it. We brought in a player who would've likely got us goals, they've met and trained with him, and then we've got rid of him. They might feel the fans have just hindered any promotion push. The other side is whether players feel annoyed we brought him in. I've always said it'll be interesting if any of them do any podcasts after they leave the club about what their thoughts were at the time. 

In my view, the unity between the fans, players and management went when Scott Burns tweeted out we were chasing him in December. After that game, you had fans saying it was dumb we'd not brought him in to get us the goals. The other half knew it was a fucking stupid move. But it created a clear divide. Had we not signed him, we'd likely still have folk sniping away on twitter suggesting we should've brought him in as he's a goalscorer. 

Suspect the squad is probably as divided on it as the fans are. Those who see no problem with it are probably quietly seething we don’t have him playing to help the cause. Those who hated the idea of him at the club are probably seething about the decision and impact it’s had. All probably feel it’s been a huge distraction and has dented the relationship with fans as you say. I’d be astonished if it wasn’t playing at least some part in our recent shite league performances.

49 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Suspect the squad is probably as divided on it as the fans are. Those who see no problem with it are probably quietly seething we don’t have him playing to help the cause. Those who hated the idea of him at the club are probably seething about the decision and impact it’s had. All probably feel it’s been a huge distraction and has dented the relationship with fans as you say. I’d be astonished if it wasn’t playing at least some part in our recent shite league performances.

And then there are those that are pissed off that they aren’t on anywhere near the reputed wage he was on/is on/was offered 

We were going off the boil when we scraped the win at home to killie. At that point the team were buzzing as were the fans. 

Following that the record went at Partick and we hid some Really shite form, however it was due and we had injuries but these things normally pass. 

However ever since the turn of the year when rumours of the impending move started to surface the team has been another level of dross. The players obviously knew the ins and outs of it all well before it happened and that buzzing team have gone. 

I don't think ma y if any of those out of contract in June will return and I think a few of the ones still in contract will be hounding their agents for a move. 

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

We were going off the boil when we scraped the win at home to killie. At that point the team were buzzing as were the fans. 

Following that the record went at Partick and we hid some Really shite form, however it was due and we had injuries but these things normally pass. 

However ever since the turn of the year when rumours of the impending move started to surface the team has been another level of dross. The players obviously knew the ins and outs of it all well before it happened and that buzzing team have gone. 

I don't think ma y if any of those out of contract in June will return and I think a few of the ones still in contract will be hounding their agents for a move. 

We may need a fire sale, if those who made the decision dont stump up or find alternative sources of revenue

If players(some)were comfortable accepting DG into the dressing room they,re as culpable as the board,management.If not little reason for this to affect their performances since.

Lets not kid ourselves though,pre DG signing our form,results,performances were shit

Is there beef with Raith fans and James Maxwell ? was  he getting abuse today or anything?

His two celebrations were weird, I get players giving stick back but it looked out of the blue today. It happens occasionally when someone scores against us and some no-mark player starts giving a GIRFUY gesture to the side terrace for no reason. 

The picture from the club photographer shows some awkward Raith fans acting like they are trying to ignore a drunk person on a bus. 

FNHXF_cXsAgFUQY.jpg.72a77f76af8141c23e317ffb74d2c6f1.jpg

Well done to Ayr, an excellent result and performance for them. They were everything we weren’t, organised, defended pretty well, a real handful going forward and pretty clinical with their chances. With Ashford, Adeloye, Murdoch, McInroy, Muirhead and McAdams they have enough about them down the spine of the team to avoid the drop.

Also fair play to Lee Bullen, he had obviously done his research, noticed our weakness down our left hand side and brutally exposed it time and time again. Liam Dick was hopeless and rightfully subbed. The fact that Mackie was already stripped and ready to come on at 2-0 and whilst he was waiting Dick got done again for the 3rd says it all. However, I do have a degree of sympathy because he received no help from Ethan Ross who was constantly losing the ball in bad areas or failing to track runners. It should also be said Mackie was equally poor when he came on and doesn’t look like the answer long term to our left back issues.

The Ayr front two caused all sorts of bother, not seen Berra bullied like that all season, he was dreadful. That was the Berra I feared we were getting when we signed him rather than excellent and consistent performer we have had. Hopefully just an off day possibly from 3 games in a week at his age but he’s been a little off it since he returned from injury IMO. I feel like we really miss the pace of Tom Lang in the centre of defence but Bene and Berra proved at the start of the season they can be a solid enough pairing so hopefully today was a one off.

The blame for the result is mostly on the shambles of a defensive display but once again we wasted several good openings and we don’t have a single number 9 who offers enough. We’ve only scored in 1 of our last 6 games now so problems at both ends of the park.

On to John McGlynn, you will struggle to find a bigger fan of his than myself but he could have no complaints if he was sacked this week. He’s been a fantastic manager for this club and that credit in the bank is the only reason he is still here. If you combine the Goodwillie debacle with no league wins in 11 and a 4-0 home defeat to a side that started the day in 8th, I don’t think any other manager could survive that. 11 games without a league win equals the worst run the Claude Anelka built side of 04/05 managed.

The board should be starting to put the feelers out for a potential replacement. The sentimental side of me would like to see McGlynn get the cup final but if we don’t get a positive result in the next couple of weeks, I don’t think that’s possible, as much as it pains me to say. Obviously, the board may not want to pay him off with just a few months of his contract left (added to the other expensive pay off they are working on…) but the thought of writing off a season where we are still only 1 point off a play off place and in a cup final just because we should have enough points on the board to not get dragged into relegation trouble doesn’t sit right with me. If McGlynn can’t turn it around, which is very much looking the case, we need to bring is someone that can. The season is still very salvageable at this stage and a new manager getting a couple of months to asses the squad and build momentum and positivity around the club going into next season could be very important.

4 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Is there beef with Raith fans and James Maxwell ? was  he getting abuse today or anything?

His two celebrations were weird, I get players giving stick back but it looked out of the blue today. It happens occasionally when someone scores against us and some no-mark player starts giving a GIRFUY gesture to the side terrace for no reason. 

The picture from the club photographer shows some awkward Raith fans acting like they are trying to ignore a drunk person on a bus. 

You’re right, very weird. There was no abuse whatsoever prior to him scoring, and I’d never heard of him before today. Fair play for the commitment to shithousery, though. 

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Well done to Ayr, an excellent result and performance for them. They were everything we weren’t, organised, defended pretty well, a real handful going forward and pretty clinical with their chances. With Ashford, Adeloye, Murdoch, McInroy, Muirhead and McAdams they have enough about them down the spine of the team to avoid the drop.

Also fair play to Lee Bullen, he had obviously done his research, noticed our weakness down our left hand side and brutally exposed it time and time again. Liam Dick was hopeless and rightfully subbed. The fact that Mackie was already stripped and ready to come on at 2-0 and whilst he was waiting Dick got done again for the 3rd says it all. However, I do have a degree of sympathy because he received no help from Ethan Ross who was constantly losing the ball in bad areas or failing to track runners. It should also be said Mackie was equally poor when he came on and doesn’t look like the answer long term to our left back issues.

The Ayr front two caused all sorts of bother, not seen Berra bullied like that all season, he was dreadful. That was the Berra I feared we were getting when we signed him rather than excellent and consistent performer we have had. Hopefully just an off day possibly from 3 games in a week at his age but he’s been a little off it since he returned from injury IMO. I feel like we really miss the pace of Tom Lang in the centre of defence but Bene and Berra proved at the start of the season they can be a solid enough pairing so hopefully today was a one off.

The blame for the result is mostly on the shambles of a defensive display but once again we wasted several good openings and we don’t have a single number 9 who offers enough. We’ve only scored in 1 of our last 6 games now so problems at both ends of the park.

On to John McGlynn, you will struggle to find a bigger fan of his than myself but he could have no complaints if he was sacked this week. He’s been a fantastic manager for this club and that credit in the bank is the only reason he is still here. If you combine the Goodwillie debacle with no league wins in 11 and a 4-0 home defeat to a side that started the day in 8th, I don’t think any other manager could survive that. 11 games without a league win equals the worst run the Claude Anelka built side of 04/05 managed.

The board should be starting to put the feelers out for a potential replacement. The sentimental side of me would like to see McGlynn get the cup final but if we don’t get a positive result in the next couple of weeks, I don’t think that’s possible, as much as it pains me to say. Obviously, the board may not want to pay him off with just a few months of his contract left (added to the other expensive pay off they are working on…) but the thought of writing off a season where we are still only 1 point off a play off place and in a cup final just because we should have enough points on the board to not get dragged into relegation trouble doesn’t sit right with me. If McGlynn can’t turn it around, which is very much looking the case, we need to bring is someone that can. The season is still very salvageable at this stage and a new manager getting a couple of months to asses the squad and build momentum and positivity around the club going into next season could be very important.

That's an excellent post, especially considering the time it was put up at...

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Saw that photo and laughed. A player trying to wind up a few families and folk who don’t give a shit. Had noticed it during the game. Very odd behaviour. 

34 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Saw that photo and laughed. A player trying to wind up a few families and folk who don’t give a shit. Had noticed it during the game. Very odd behaviour. 

He done the same when he scored his 2nd (Ayrs 3rd) and got booked for it. 

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I did think it was a bit weird. Maybe he just likes noising up opposition fans.

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Looks a bit of a tit to be honest, perhaps all the social media likes he got when he did it against Killie went to his head ?

4 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Looks a bit of a tit to be honest, perhaps all the social media likes he got when he did it against Killie went to his head ?

😂 I can think of numerous people who looked like more of a tit yesterday. It is the standard celebration when you score in front of the home fans. 

I can honestly say that if I played for Ayr, I would be celebrating every goal I scored in front of opposition fans. Maxwells noising up of the Raith fans makes zero sense but maybe he’s just practicing for Friday.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can honestly say that if I played for Ayr, I would be celebrating every goal I scored in front of opposition fans. Maxwells noising up of the Raith fans makes zero sense but maybe he’s just practicing for Friday.

The thing is the fans in that photo don’t look particularly noised up. They just look mildly confused. Zoom in on the faces. I did see a couple of boys behind the goal getting upset to be fair.